Magnum Jungle Bird Shirt! Help!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

brunoffrance
Captain

#16 Post by brunoffrance »

Sure, authentic doesn't mean with a certificate made by the seller.... you need another proof and for this price, it's not a good deal only with this kind of certicate.... I'm always suspicious when i travel and find a store full of celebrities stuff with certificates... how they do that when you konw how difficult is to get only an autograph.....

An authentic jungle bird shirt was exposed at the Honolulu Hard rock café and was signed/ autographed on it by TS... One more proof ?
The shirt was stolen and found latter with this mark ON the shirt... i think it's again on the Honolulu HRC ... i have to check it again in one of my future Hawaii travel....

I've got one jungle bird for me and one for my brother... may be one was worn by TM ????? why not ? we can create a legend on what you want and sale it....
Very american 4 a french...

Duckalohafriday
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Photos of Aloha shirt

#17 Post by Duckalohafriday »

[/url]

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#19 Post by Styles Bitchley »

OK Duck,

Here ya go...

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

brunoffrance
Captain

TM stolen jungle bird shirt...

#20 Post by brunoffrance »

here is the link about the stolen TM jungle bird... if you haven't red it before...

http://www.staradvertiser.com/columnist ... shirt.html

When I was eaten at the Hard rock of Honolulu, I haven't seen it... on the wall... yet stolen ?
Very american 4 a french...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley

#22 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Cool slideshow James. But I hate that midi version of the MPI theme.

Funny thing about the Jungle Bird shirt is that there must have been several used over the 8 years of filming...unlike Fonzie's jacket which there may have been a few.

Last time I was at the Smithsonian (maybe 4 yrs ago) they were doing construction so most of the pop culture stuff was in storage. R2D2 and C3PO were there as well as Fonzie's jacket and Mr. Rogers' cardigan. But no jungle bird.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#23 Post by golfmobile »

Has anyone actually counted the number of episodes in which the red parrot/jungle shirt was used? I know at one time I was counting the times the black version was shown (because I was able to get that one and didn't have the red one yet), and I was very surprised that it was used so often. I think I stopped counting when I got to 12-13 but I've lost the list now (just kept it on a piece of paper beside the TV and jotted the episode title down when I saw the black shirt). So I think there is a good possibility that the black version was used nearly as often as the red version, but because the red one is used in the "eyebrow" clip in the intro to the show, it is the one that gets all the glory. If these "actually worn by TS" shirts keep coming up, why haven't OTHERS he wore been found? There are several he wore repeatedly (that MauiShirts duplicates) -- the purple orchid one (a really worn one I saw among the "Lost Treasures of MPI" stash that "Michael" had, you may recall) (and this one James actually ID'd the print of, as being actually used in "Foiled Again," if I recall that correctly), the "busy" white orchid one, etc. Why are none of those ever offered anywhere?

Also, if I recall this correctly too, the red shirt wasn't used at all after the fourth season -- so that would seem to make it even more unlikely that an originally worn one is still around -- all early props, costumes, etc., that aren't repeatedly used (such as some sets and some props) were probably discarded (probably how "Michael" ended up with the purple orchid one).

Just saying' . . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by steveadl »

I reckon you're right about that Golf - neither of the shirts seem to be used much in the later seasons anymore.

Speaking of the Paradise Found shirts - was watching 'The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company' yesterday. Anyone else pick up that TM debated about whether to call the new business venture 'Paradise Found' as well? :)

If it actually did take off he may have been sued for trademark infringement. :D

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I've been reading all the posts here, since I'm new, and I didn't know that one of the shirts was stolen before! :o That's terrible! :? Did they get it back?

I'm sure there were many of the Jungle Bird shirts worn by Tom Selleck over the course of the show...I seriously doubt there was only 1 or 2! The Smithsonian does have one, but I'm sure there were several others. Wasn't Selleck present at the Smithsonian presentation of the "Magnum" items? They were probably from his own personal collection after the show (as there were other show items besides the shirt that were donated for the exhibit) and that's the shirt they got.

I would never pay the amount of money that was shown on that original ebay link here!! :shock: You would have to authenticate it beyond what I saw and read was done, before I'd ever even think about it! :wink: A couple months ago I bought a coral faux choker/necklace that was used in wardrobe department for "Magnum". I also have a COA to go with it. Whether or not it was actually worn by Magnum, or other cast members at some point, I don't know or remember? It may have been only worn by guest stars or something. But, it only cost $25...and it wasn't that famous or a remembered item from the show. But, it's still cool to wear with my Hawaiian shirts and to think it was part of the series in some way! :)

As for the red Jungle Bird shirt...I recently purchased one from MauiShirts.com--a Hawaiian website/store that sells all kinds of Hawaiian shirts and items...including replicas of a few shirts Magnum wore on the show. Mine only cost me $63 (including shipping), and that's expensive enough! :wink: I can't wait to get it! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Styles Bitchley

Re: TM stolen jungle bird shirt...

#26 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Hey MaiTai Man,

welcome to the forum. Bruno posted a link to the stolen shirt story earlier in the thread...
brunoffrance wrote:here is the link about the stolen TM jungle bird... if you haven't read it before...

http://www.staradvertiser.com/columnist ... shirt.html

When I was eating at the Hard Rock in Honolulu I didn't see it on the wall...stolen already?
[edit] I just noticed that the link has changed. Here's an updated one: http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/leec ... shirt.html

- J.Q.H.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Thanks, Styles Bitchley! I'm glad I found this site as I grew up with and love "Magnum, p.i."! :)

Thank you for providing that link to the story on Magnum's shirt being stolen from the Hard Rock in Honolulu. It was awesome how that guy found it and then he had the honesty and and conscience to return it. I'm glad it was returned and is now back at the restuarant! :D

I wonder if Tom Selleck still has one of the original Jungle Bird shirts that he kept for himself? I know he dedicated one to the Smithsonian, and one to the Hard Rock. But, I wonder if he still has one as well?

Oh well...I can't wait to get my replica I ordered from MauiShirts.com! I have a "ton" of Hawaiian shirts I wear every spring and summer...but an official replica of the "Magnum" Jungle Bird shirt will be a superb addition to my collection! 8)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I got my red Jungle Bird Shirt a few days ago...it's awesome and I love it! :) Here's a link to the MauiShirts' site with a pic of the shirt.

http://site.mauishirts.com/java/jungle-bird-red.jpg

I decided to order a replica of one of the other famous "Magnum" Hawaiian shirts used on the show from MauiShirts...the purple Calla-Lily one! :D Here's a link and/or pic of it! Can't wait to get it!

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/mauishirts_2156_87953303

Styles Bitchley

#29 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MaiTaiMan wrote:I got my red Jungle Bird Shirt a few days ago...it's awesome and I love it! :) Here's a link to the MauiShirts' site with a pic of the shirt.

http://site.mauishirts.com/java/jungle-bird-red.jpg

I decided to order a replica of one of the other famous "Magnum" Hawaiian shirts used on the show from MauiShirts...the purple Calla-Lily one! :D Here's a link and/or pic of it! Can't wait to get it!

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/mauishirts_2156_87953303
Great shirts dude. Perfect timing with the warmer weather!

- J.Q.H.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Great shirts dude. Perfect timing with the warmer weather!
Thanks! :) I love Hawaiian style shirts, and have a "TON"!! :lol: I started collecting them back in the summer of 1999, when I got a couple from Gadzooks--back when that store chain was still around. I slowly bought and collected ever since. I always wear them each spring and summer...along with some of my pastel colored shirts for my odes to "Miami Vice". :wink:

But, the Hawaiian shirts are so comfortable in the heat and warmer weather...I love 'em! Now that I'm getting a couple "Magnum" ones, my collection is even better! :D