Heading to Hawaii

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

Heading to Hawaii

#1 Post by Lt Tanaka »

I'll be heading to Hawaii next week for a few days. Robin's Nest is of course top priority but I'm wondering what other filming sites people would consider must-sees. The google-map filming location thing is amazing but I'd need a year to see everything and I won't have so much time.
Suggestions appreciated.

JJ Quincannon
Lieutenant Commander

#2 Post by JJ Quincannon »

Hello, Lt Tanaka My must see stops other than Robins nest and the tidal pool would be #1 The Arizona Memorial #2 The Byodo In Temple in the valley of the temples #3 The Pali lookout. #4 The punchbowl cemetary.
After that maybe Diamondhead but it gets tough to choose.Have fun and let us know where you end up going.
"Ouuuta Sight"

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#3 Post by rubber chicken »

In this post here I listed some locations that a Magnum fan visiting Oahu might be interested in. If you get a craving for ice cream, you could visit the Pill Box Pharmacy, where Magnum briefly stopped in Novel Connection (7.9) for medication and grabbed an ice cream cone as well. People say they have great ice cream there, shipped from the Pacific Northwest. If you're going to the North Shore you could take a walk to Puaena Point and the beach north east of there, where so many scenes were filmed (for Lost too btw). I could go on and on of course, but if you have a laptop with you, I might suggest once you know where you're going to be traveling anyway, just take a quick look in the guide for locations that are near to where you'll be, and see if you'd like to visit any of those.

In any case, have fun visiting Oahu! :)

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by Lt Tanaka »

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I've been excited about any holiday in my life. I've been kind of obsessed with Magnum PI since it first aired. I was only 7 years old at the time. 30 years I've wanted to visit that tidal pool. Hope the plane doesn't crash on the way there. On the way back I won't care.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

Hi LT..before I answer,tell me are you staying in Waikiki?

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by Lt Tanaka »

edit
Last edited by Lt Tanaka on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Sam »

OK,so how familiar are you with the Waikiki locations? and do you have an interest?

Three hotels close to you were used,Ric's pedicab corner is somewhere you'll probably walk by.You can go into the hotels and see the location or just look up from the street and be aware of them.These you can make what you want to..Just a more or less awareness they were locations.

You can also walk to the KKC and on the way you'll pass the pier from China Doll and the Memorial from season one.

I'd also go to the studio..that was the most used location..it's just a building..but..it always fascinates me and you can get fairly close.Looking at it..leftside of the overhead door was the Higgins side,right was TM.

Let me know,I'd be happy to make a Google map or maps of the area. and mark the locations

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by Lt Tanaka »

edit
Last edited by Lt Tanaka on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Sam »

Okay LT..I'll put something together,watch for it in 12-15 hours,which is midnight to three your time. :) :)

Take care and feel better.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#10 Post by rubber chicken »

Glad Sam is putting together a map of Waikiki locations. When working on the guide I often put those off and instead work on other locations that are more spread out. I do the same thing with Chinatown sometimes. :?

The other KKC beach location is Waialae Beach Park (1981-1988). Directions shown here, with the bar being underneath the greenery in the center here.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Steve »

Lt Tanaka wrote:Yep. Staying at the Outrigger on the Beach Waikiki but will have a rental car so getting around is no hassle.
That's a great Hotel, right in the heart of the action on Waikiki Beach. You can walk to everything worth seeing on Waikiki, and then take the rental car out for seeing the rest of the Island. I saw on the Hotels web site that they have a band called "The Society of Seven" playing there. I used to see them in Las Vegas about a decade ago. Great band that you will enjoy.....Have fun, and of course, take pictures to send back to us.........

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Sam »

Hi Lt Tanaka,

I think it's probably best for you to check RC's guide for Waikiki.About the only thing I can add is the location of Rics pedicab.It's on the corner of Kalakaua and Ohau,in front of the Burger King.

Good Luck and have a great time..

Steve,

RE..Society of Seven...I saw them on my first trip to Oahu in 88 they've been a mainstay of the Outrigger Beach since 1968.According to Wiki there are two troupes.

Society of Seven
Society of Seven LV..based in Las Vegas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Seven

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Steve »

Sam wrote:

Steve,

RE..Society of Seven...I saw them on my first trip to Oahu in 88 they've been a mainstay of the Outrigger Beach since 1968.According to Wiki there are two troupes.

Society of Seven
Society of Seven LV..based in Las Vegas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Seven
Wow two versions, They are a great band. I think I used to see the "LV Version" at the Alladin, now the Planet Hollywood. I don't know how I missed them when we stayed at the Hilton Hawiian Village in 2007. It would have been a nice walk up the beach to see them (and a too many Mai Tai's walk back)...............

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Sam »

Yeah..I remember that we did enjoy the show,don't know why we haven't been back..maybe next trip.

I haven't been to Oahu since 2006 and I'm ready for a Mai Tai or ten.

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by Lt Tanaka »

The beach park location is the one I was thinking of. Pretty surprised to see what it is in reality. Would loved to have sat at the real bar if it had existed. Shame.