Missed a Chronosport.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Jake
Rear Admiral

#16 Post by Jake »

Sebastian Sabre wrote:I'm pretty sure Selleck wore the type of strap pictured above at one point.

The link for the pic of him checking his watch is (IMO) a waterproof leather strap that I have also noticed in some scenes of the early seasons!

I would think that with all of the swimming he did, the strap had to be replaced a number of times! :D
After Dakota sharing that his watchband is actually made of rubber I tend to believe that the ones Magnum wore that looked like they might be leather were actually textured rubber. It is possible they used leather straps on the show, however in the real world most people that use dive watches would never consider having a leather band.

Dakota Ellison
Lieutenant

#17 Post by Dakota Ellison »

This was one of the best close-ups I found at this site's massive pic library.
You may have to blow it up a little, but you can see the pattern and make out the vent holes on the strap. The inside of the buckle on my watch strap says "Hong Kong". Being as my watch and strap looks pretty darn screen acurate, I have to wonder if Chronosport got their watch bands from Hong Kong or is my strap an after-market copy?

Cutter
Lieutenant

#18 Post by Cutter »

It's a Tropic Watch Strap.

Marshall
Ensign

Re: Missed a Chronosport.

#19 Post by Marshall »

I have an early 23501 Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 (no "30" on the face) with the original Stainless Steel bracelet which I bought from a buddy of mine in the late 70s for next to nothing. It runs great and is in very good condition (the lume has faded after 40 years) and everything on it is original to the watch.

How rare is this watch and what might it be worth?

Thanks!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Missed a Chronosport.

#20 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Marshall wrote:I have an early 23501 Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 (no "30" on the face) with the original Stainless Steel bracelet which I bought from a buddy of mine in the late 70s for next to nothing. It runs great and is in very good condition (the lume has faded after 40 years) and everything on it is original to the watch.

How rare is this watch and what might it be worth?

Thanks!
Lucky man. They are very desirable and go for more than USD1000 these days on eBay.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.