The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#421 Post by steveadl »

golfmobile wrote:Maybe Jake and the Fatman? It filmed two seasons there.

"CBS executives decided to film in Hawaii instead (having McCabe quit as DA for Los Angeles to become the Prosecuting Attorney in Honolulu), so the entire cast (including the show's mascot, a bulldog named Max) was sent to Honolulu. After two seasons in Hawaii, the series returned to L.A."

golf
Think I'll have to check out 'Jake and the Fatman' - love seeing other shows shot in Hawaii. Even watching 'Dog the Bounty Hunter' I see so many familiar places since my visit last year.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#422 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:Now what could the steps leading to the edge of the seawall possibly be for? Diving!!! Just kidding.
Just a guess, but they might have just built a temporary platform to shoot the scene on so the view of the ocean was not obstructed by the wall.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#423 Post by Pahonu »

Something new here, I think. In watching Mad Buck Gibson recently, I noticed a scene at about the 31:00 to 33:00 mark that is unique to the series in terms of showing different parts of the estate. Magnum is talking with Mad Buck's ex-wife and they head toward the shed-side of the garage wing. They end up walking all the way around the end of the wing and sit at a bench under the trees. If you look carefully through the trees you can see a small window at the end of the shed (which I'll have to add to my model), and the rear side of the garage wing from a distance. I may be mistaken, but I think this is the only time they filmed on this part of the estate grounds showing the garage wing from this angle.

If anyone can add screen caps you'll see what I mean. The window in the shed structure is at 32:04 and the wider view of the rear of the garage wing is just a few seconds later. Let me know what you think.
Last edited by Pahonu on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#424 Post by Little Garwood »

This thread is one of the best. There's an abundance of great information here and the topic should be "Stickied"! :)
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#425 Post by J.J. Walters »

Indeed! This is the only time they filmed at this location on the estate. Nice little spot back there. It even has a bench. :)

This thread has now been "sticky-a-fied"! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Pahonu

#426 Post by Pahonu »

James, I was thinking the same thing: nice little spot there with the bench. There seem to be several benches in various locations on the estate. There's one among the trees in front of the tennis court and another on the other side of the courts by the perimeter wall near to the boat house. There are also two in the loggia by the driveway, I think. I can't remember any others. Anyone else remember any?

There also seems to be a trellis or something in the second, third and fourth shots.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#427 Post by Sam »

James or Pahonu...I'm confused on the location of the last two pictures.The pillars indicates that it is the side at the side entry.The angle confuses me.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#428 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam wrote:James or Pahonu...I'm confused on the location of the last two pictures.The pillars indicates that it is the side at the side entry.The angle confuses me.
The scene is on the backside of the "garage", or "maintenance wing" (or whatever it's called; I'm not quite sure), but in the foliage off to the side.

Completely unrelated (but something I thought was kind of funny), just before this scene, when Mad Buck and T.C. are talking in the courtyard in front of the main balcony, some kind of small animal (a chicken maybe) passes by across the second set of open doors. I'm not sure what it is, but it's definitely not Zeus or Apollo!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#429 Post by Sam »

Okay James but how does that fit...angle wise with the last picture...It does appear to be the side of the house.To me it seems the shot is from the blue line because it can't be from the red.
Last edited by Sam on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#430 Post by Pahonu »

Hey Sam,

I think you are confused by the columns or pillars you see behind them. The pillars that you see behind them in the third and fourth shots are not at the side of the house. They are on the reverse side of the garage wing that James highlighted in the overhead shot. They are sitting on a bench in the area of the point of the lower arrow in James's diagram. The camera is looking toward the circle James drew, with the pillars on camera left..

If you watch the whole scene, you will see them walk away from the loggia at the side of the house (first shot with vehicles), around the end of the garage wing where you can see the little shed structure attached at the end (second shot), and finally to an area under the trees with the bench that shows the back of the garage wing (third and fourth shots). If you look carefully at the whole scene, not just these images you can see more pillars than are at the side of the house. Mad Buck actually walks through the portal of the garage wing to the driveway side and takes off in the Ferrari. This is the same portal that Magnum walks through dozens of times to get to the driveway. We just get to see the back side.

James,

Nice spot on the, shall we call it, chicken? I had replayed that part several times to see if I could get a better look at the rear yard area, and didn't even notice that! Unfortunately, not much to be seen to help with my model. Something did occur to me as I looked at your four screencaps from the other scene and noticed the trellis I mentioned from shots three and four. We once had a discussion on the forum about that shed structure at the end of the garage wing possibly being for laundry purposes. Perhaps the "trellis" is actually clothes lines for drying?

It would make sense for a home, even of this size, from the 1930's to have drying lines. The spot is in the service area of the grounds, far from the living spaces of the main house behind the garage and adjacent to the kitchen wing. I am thinking of a couple of other large estates from the same era that I have visited here in Southern California. The Adamson House in Malibu and Casa Del Herrrero in Montecito are both Spanish Colonial Revival in style like Pahonu, and they have similar service area arrangements that would have been used by the staff. What do you think?

Sorry this is so looooong!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#431 Post by Sam »

Thanks Pahonu...I didn't remember the columns on the backside.

Last edited by Sam on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#432 Post by Pahonu »

You got it! Those shot's are from The Eighth Part of the Village aren't they? This might be the only other shot of the rear side of the garage. I don't think I have seen any others of this area. Seeing the end of the garage wing and the little shed structure at the end from that angle is certainly new to me. I think The Kona Winds showed the inside, though. I'm going to have to add the little window in the shed structure to my model.

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#433 Post by 308GTS »

Wow, I am astounted to see this thread still going strong some 3½ years later! The Eighth Part of The Village, great ep.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#434 Post by J.J. Walters »

Someone recently sent me some pictures of the estate from a recent trip. The boathouse is now a light blue color.

Also, he had this to say...
...there were a number of workers busy at the estate, playing loud music during their work...what exactly they were doing, we could not see due to all the foliage everywhere

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#435 Post by Sam »

I wonder if HFO is planning to film there??