Magnum G.I.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#46 Post by N1095A »

That one shouldn't be too hard. I remember blowing up toy cars as a kid. A nice M-80 would do the trick.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#47 Post by golfmobile »

I know, guys, I KNOW! I look at EVERYTHING in terms of how it could be used in a scenario with MGI! Did you see on the roamingmagnumgi blog what we did last night to imitate the Travelocity Roaming Gnome? (That was Larry's idea!)

Well, fireworks are illegal in Georgia, so I don't know where I could get a cherry bomb or M-80 to blow up a car. I would LIKE to do so (in a controlled environment, of course!), but in the MPI intro I'm trying to duplicate, there isn't the blown up car that was in the earlier intro. So am I allowed to "mix and match" different clips from different intros? I was trying to produce the one consistent with one that is used now for the reruns on Sleuth Channel, which seems to be the one most often used. But if you don't mind if I take a few things out of chronological sequence . . . .

Can you buy fireworks on eBay? Probably not. And since we're past the Fourth of July, it could be hard to find some fireworks to blow up a car. I'll work on that though. The mind is always working to try to find something to use . . . Anyone have any spare fireworks to send me (along with someone's son's old model toys to blow up? We don't have children, so we don't have any plastic models to blow up.)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#48 Post by J.J. Walters »

Actually that shot doesn't even use explosives. It uses hydrolics w/ smoke. You could use an air hose and some dry ice. Hehe!

There is another shot from Season Two, I believe, where a car is blown up to pieces.

No one will notice if one quick shot is out of order. You simply MUST wreck havoc on at least one old toy car! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Miss Q »

Golf...

Ah Ha... watching TV last night I figured it out.... Not sure if you watch CSI
at all, but last night was the recap of the murders commited by the minature killer...

My deductions have lead me to believe it was YOU!

Golf - The minature killer!
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

N1095A

#50 Post by N1095A »

My mind is racing. There are a LOT of Dodge challenger toy cars on Ebay.Image
I'm thinking if you run a hack saw down through the body below the windshield, put a couple of holes in the floor, and stuff a couple of toy rocket motors up there, you could get a similar shot. The rocket motors would give you the lift and smoke, and you'd be able to detonate them electronically. The cut through the body would break the front off like in the pic.

I really wish I could find you a teeny tiny surf ski. I use the term "teeny tiny" in homage to Magnum's description of Higgins' "teeny tiny toy cannon".

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#51 Post by golfmobile »

Miss Q,

I haven't killed anyone -- yet! Hey, wait, I'll make an Ivan GI . . . . .

N,

Did you see the price on the one you pictured????? I'm not spending $42 just to blow it up! However, this could be a good one to blow, except it's probably a rare collector's item that would have some folks freaking if I blew it up, and it costs too much too ($25).

But it sure looks like the kind of old, out-of-date car that would be clanking around in the crime-riddled areas of Honolulu . . . .

I need to find some ratty, old, heavily played-with plastic model car to blow up. I don't want to destroy a good toy. And does it have to be a Dodge? But I need fire too! How do I make fire? (Don't anyone DARE type, "Rub two sticks together"! You know I mean how do I make the car burn after I blow it. Fill it with wadded up paper that'll catch on fire after it blows?) But, shoot, with a plastic car, that's going to be awfully stinky! I need a balsa wood car . . . .

Speaking of balsa wood, who can carve me a MGI-sized surf-ski out of balsa wood? I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to get/make one, and I can't come up with anything else about that shape and size that could be "converted." Some kind of candy dish or ice cream sundae dish? Any ideas are welcome. Carve up a Nerf football?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#52 Post by N1095A »

Golf, The one that was in the show was a dodge challenger. There's also a model that would have to be built for around $20. I'd be more than happy to build and paint it for you. I'm very good at models. Check out my Dodge Power Wagon from Simon & Simon below. The rocket engines would give you fire too!
The plastic model might "Blow" easier due to the weight.

In answer to your question, no, It doesn't have to be the same model car. In fact painted right, the Caddy you put up could look like the car that blew up in "Three Minus Two".
P.S. I'd love to see the shot of MGI shooting IvanGI.!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#53 Post by golfmobile »

N,

You are CERTAINLY more knowledgeable about this building and blowing up than I am. But I still think $20 is a bit much to spend for a 2-second (or less) video clip to be added (says the lady who has spent close to $100 on various props!). Anyway, I found a bunch of cheap promo plastic cars on eBay, for example:

cheapo car on eBay to blow up

that would be "acquire-able" for a reasonable price, even if it's not the exactly correct model, but I wouldn't mind having it blown up. Is there any way I could get this one and send it to you and then YOU could blow it up and film it and just send me the film clip to add? Do you have a digital video camcorder to film it? Larry and I would be flying blind somewhat in experimenting how to get the best explosion and car fire, which would probably require AT LEAST one test to see if it worked. And then if it didn't work right, we would have spent a bunch of time, effort, and expense on something that we didn't do right.

Well, of course, I could just cheat and copy the explosion clip from the original video and insert it in mine . . . . . but it WOULD be more fun to create a toy explosion to go with my toy video clips.

Then, of course, it could be just as entertaining to attempt to do it and have the attempt fail -- sort of like an out-take clip.

I'm thinking too much, here, again! I'd love your help on whatever you think would produce the best result. We don't have the "chemicals" to make a reliable explosion. So if you have an idea that you think would work, I'm more than happy to accept your help. Can you film your effort, and then I can add your clip to the finished intro video?

What do you think is the best idea? I'm beginning to think that the failed or botched blow-up attempt, like an out-take, might be the most entertaining option. So instead of expert special effects, one sees the amateur attempt -- rather goes with the hands showing the movements on the figures. The failure to do it right might be more laughable than a successful explosion. See what I mean?

But I'm certainly NOT rejecting your offer to help. I just don't want you to spend a lot of money on such a short -- almost subliminal -- shot.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#54 Post by N1095A »

I understand the money issue. It would be different if the money was for, say a GI Joe Surf ski, if such a thing existed. But to put a lot of cash out just to blow it up would be kind of, well, crazy. I do have a digital video camera, but It's just a cheap one. I don't know what kind of quality I could get from it. My other concern is that you don't get a practice shot with blowin' stuff up. If it doesn't work, you pretty nuch ruin the car. I'd be willing to try it, but I can't guarentee the results. I still like the rocket motor idea. I also thought of taking a small zip loc bag, filling it with gasoline, and placing it inside the car, so that when the rocket motor fires, the gas explodes, and, well, you get the idea. Let me think about this. I'm happy to try it.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#55 Post by golfmobile »

N,

Okay, I think we agree. Keep me posted on your thoughts and ideas.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#56 Post by N1095A »

I do have a 1969 Dodge Charger model that I've been saving. If I can work out a reliable pyro set-up, I'd be willing to paint it to look like the challenger from the shot, and give it a try. My concern is getting a proper looking detonation. I think the gasoline in a zip lock bag will do it. I hate to go to the expense of buying an electronic rocket launch pad. But using a half pint or so of gas, I'd want to be farther away than the fuse on a fire cracker would get me. I have an elevated position on my drive way that would get the right angle for the shot, but you wouldn't get the sky behind as there are trees all around. Gimmie a little time on this. I'll see what I can come up with. I'll keep you posted.
Mike

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#57 Post by SelleckLover »

Hey golf!
I have a suggestion on how to make it look like the car is burning without making any actual fire. Last weekend my hubby and I went to Disneyland and rode the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride. They had layered red, orange. and yellow sheer fabric cut to look like flames with a fan directed upwards under the fabric. Perhaps you could take an old table and cut a hole in it and mount a fan underneath the hole. Take your video with a pre-mangled car on top the table with the fan on and the fabric arranged somehow in/on the car to look like flames. Good suggestion, no? I don't know if it will work or not but I just thought I'd share! :D

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Miss Q »

golf

to quote "we got to waste Ivan"... GI that is... lol

Miss Q
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

N1095A

#59 Post by N1095A »

golfmobile wrote:IH,

Explanation of the acquisition of the rubber chicken is three posts above your question.

If James wants to use any of these as avatars, it'd probably be better to use a still picture instead of trying to get a snap from the video, since the video is so blurry. There are still pictures of everyone but Ms. Jones on the roamingmagnumgi blog (to which I've added a link so anyone can "subscribe" to new posts via email notification, if they want to track when there is a new post). Those stills would probably be better for him to use, if he wants them.

I noticed over the last few days in watching more of the repeats of Seasons 1-3 on Sleuth that Rick usually wears a gold chain around his neck, so I will be adding that to his "persona," and that little touch will be in pictures from now on. I also noticed even when he was wearing a short-sleeved shirt, the shirt frequently had a while collar and sleeve trim, so I'm going to be making him a short-sleeved blue shirt with white trim.

In addition, yesterday on eBay I got a ball and glove for TC for the softball clip. Yep, another keyring (from the Texas Rangers[!!?]), with a glove, ball, and bat (disproportionate size, but I don't need it).

TC's Softball Equipment

I got a couple of GI Joe cameras, but they're lousy for our purposes, so now I'm trying to get

this one

because it'll work for both "Mr. Alex" and TM in the helicopter with TC. Unfotunately, the freaking camera is in Hong Kong, so gosh knows when I'll get it, even if I win it. Oh, well, I haven't gotten the helicopter yet either, so it could be WEEKS before I come anywhere close to getting this bleeping video finished. sigh . . . . .

Ya think?

golf
Love the camera Golf, "Ladies, Take 'em off, Take 'em all off!"

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#60 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:Actually that shot doesn't even use explosives. It uses hydrolics w/ smoke. You could use an air hose and some dry ice. Hehe!

There is another shot from Season Two, I believe, where a car is blown up to pieces.

No one will notice if one quick shot is out of order. You simply MUST wreck havoc on at least one old toy car! :)
James,

Are you sure there were no explosives used in that shot? As the car lifts up you can see what appears to be a detonation cord attached to the bottom of the car. Or, is this some type of hose used for the hydrolics? :?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)