The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#406 Post by Pahonu »

Neat shot Sam. I remembered there was something different on the seawall side from that episode. Didn't McGarrett, disguised as a scientist, meet secretively with a woman scientist in the scene? I don't think this is the lath house indicated on the property tax records. A lath house is basically a structure like a greenhouse but with slats of wood instead of glass for the walls and roof. It is actually used to create shade for plants, especially seedlings, rather than provide warmth like a greenhouse. It would make sense in Hawaii's climate The structure shown looks pretty much like a pergola to me. Thanks for the screencap though. Every little piece of the puzzle is helpful. Are those steps by the seawall behind it?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#407 Post by KENJI »

Interesting shot Sam!
I wonder if that was a permanent structure at one point or was it just for that episode?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#408 Post by Sam »

Hi Pahonu,

It's been some time since I watched the episode and for some reason I didn't remember that,whatever it is..it was used in the show.Here are 2 pics from the show and it really is about all that was shown.Yes,it does look like steps.

Last edited by Sam on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#409 Post by Sam »

Hi Kenji,
I jumped the gun on this one.When I first noticed the structure I thought that it was an old,old,establishing shot but as I watched the rest of the show,I saw that it was used.So it was built for the last episode.

Pahonu had mentioned that a lath house was built back in the 30's.I thought that it was a shot taken in 1968-69 and then torn down and what we saw was an old shot...does that make sense??

Pahonu

#410 Post by Pahonu »

Hey Sam,

The woman in the bottom screencap is the scientist I remember McGarrett talking to by the seawall. It is not a lath house and couldn't be from the 30's as you mentioned. I think you're right though. This structure probably was built for this episode as it was not in any earlier shots of the building and they do use it in the episode. It must have been torn down immediately following because Hawaii Five-0 ended with this episode in 1980 right before the Magnum pilot was filmed that same year. Now what could the steps leading to the edge of the seawall possibly be for? Diving!!! Just kidding.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#411 Post by Little Garwood »

Little Garwood wrote:There are a few outside "establishing" shots of the estate in the Hawaii Five-O season 12 episode "Clash of Shadows." Another house is used as the interior, though. It's one I believe that was used in S8's "Love Thy Neighbor, Take His Wife."
Pahonu wrote:Any screen caps?
Here ya go. Note the stakes along the drive path.

"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#412 Post by golfmobile »

Trellis and steps look like all the little wedding pavilions the resorts all over the Caribbean having for the weddings they host.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Pahonu

#413 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks Little Garwood. It's interesting to see the changes over the years. This gets me wondering when the oldest pictures of the estate that can be found are from? Was it in any movies from the 30's until Hawaii Five-0 debuted in 1968? I wonder if it was ever used in the TV series Hawaiian Eye with Robert Conrad.

By the way, I think I remember seeing an episode with the fence along the drive. It supposed to be a ranch, and it showed horses. That estate-siting completely slipped my memory.
Last edited by Pahonu on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#414 Post by golfmobile »

Hawaiian Eye had virtually no location shooting; it was all filmed in Los Angeles, except maybe some of the opening credit shots. So I doubt it would be found in any scenes from that series.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Pahonu

#415 Post by Pahonu »

Maybe movies? I just wonder.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#416 Post by golfmobile »

Maybe Jake and the Fatman? It filmed two seasons there.

"CBS executives decided to film in Hawaii instead (having McCabe quit as DA for Los Angeles to become the Prosecuting Attorney in Honolulu), so the entire cast (including the show's mascot, a bulldog named Max) was sent to Honolulu. After two seasons in Hawaii, the series returned to L.A."

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Pahonu

#417 Post by Pahonu »

That seems like a possibility. I didn't watch it, but isn't that show from a period later than Magnum PI? I was just wondering about older pictures or film of the estate, from the territorial era. I got to thinking about it after some on the forum mused about it appearing in the new Hawaii Five-0.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#418 Post by J.J. Walters »

Here's a couple of good lists:

http://americanfilmactor.com/filmedinhawaii.html
http://www.hawaiiforvisitors.com/videos ... hawaii.htm

Several "beach movies" were filmed in Oahu in the early '60s (Gidget Goes Hawaiian, etc.). How cool would it be if the estate popped up in one of these features. Elvis may have even walked the grounds, who knows! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Pahonu

#419 Post by Pahonu »

That's where I'm coming from James! Thanks for the links.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#420 Post by steveadl »

That would be awesome! What are the chances? Bring on the screen grabs from the 50's... :D