The saddest moment

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Steve »

steveadl wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Without a doubt, Magnum walking off into Heaven to John Denver's "Looking for Space"! In the original run, that was it. Game over. Magnum's dead and there's no more Magnum P.I.! It doesn't get much sadder than that.

Thank god they brought it back for one more season!
So true. It's different to see it years after the fact and know there is another season. But to be watching the original airing at the time, being told that it's the last episode of the show and that's how they leave you.... :shock:
You all are so correct, from Magnum telling Michelle that he loves her and is letting her go, to him back on The Estate, looking at Lilly and walking off into heaven was very powerful. If memory serves me I think that it had been announced that Magnum would be back for another season by the time it originally aired because I seem to remember telling myself what a terrible way that would have been to end the show. I could be wrong but would love to see the time line again if anyone can research it...........

Northern_Union
Lieutenant Commander

#17 Post by Northern_Union »

Kona winds where Magnum cries is sad.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by KENJI »

When a young Thomas is at his dad's funeral and he salutes with his dad's watch on. :cry:

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Magnum T. »

Frodoleader wrote:
steveadl wrote:Agree, the last few minutes of 'Limbo' (as seen here: http://magnum-mania.com/Video/Magnum_Limbo.html ) would have to be the saddest moment of the series for me as far as story line goes.

I second this. When I first watched this episode, the kick in the gut I got was akin to the one I got when my father died.
Even though I was thrilled that MPI came back for another season, I still contend that Limbo could have been probably the best series "finales" ever done.
I think of "Limbo" as the "real" end of the series.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

Steve wrote:You all are so correct, from Magnum telling Michelle that he loves her and is letting her go, to him back on The Estate, looking at Lilly and walking off into heaven was very powerful. If memory serves me I think that it had been announced that Magnum would be back for another season by the time it originally aired because I seem to remember telling myself what a terrible way that would have been to end the show. I could be wrong but would love to see the time line again if anyone can research it...........
Yeah, I've heard that from other people, as well. It appears that they did announce it, but at the very last minute. I know I didn't hear it. All I remember hearing was Selleck's standard 7-year contract was up and the show was ending. Selleck was heading off to motion picture land. And then Magnum "died"! I also distinctly remember the backlash that occurred after "Limbo" aired, so apparently quite a few other people didn't get the last minute memo that the show had been renewed for an eighth season. Of course this was pre-Internet days, so information didn't spread as quickly back then.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by steveadl »

J.J. Walters wrote: Of course this was pre-Internet days, so information didn't spread as quickly back then.
Hang on a sec........ "pre-internet".......hmmm interesting concept! You mean there was a functioning world before the internet? Yikes! :shock: :P

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#22 Post by Mr. Greene »

definately when he had to watch the tape of the murder of his daughter and ex-wife just the grief he had too feel

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#23 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Steve wrote:You all are so correct, from Magnum telling Michelle that he loves her and is letting her go, to him back on The Estate, looking at Lilly and walking off into heaven was very powerful. If memory serves me I think that it had been announced that Magnum would be back for another season by the time it originally aired because I seem to remember telling myself what a terrible way that would have been to end the show. I could be wrong but would love to see the time line again if anyone can research it...........
Yeah, I've heard that from other people, as well. It appears that they did announce it, but at the very last minute. I know I didn't hear it. All I remember hearing was Selleck's standard 7-year contract was up and the show was ending. Selleck was heading off to motion picture land. And then Magnum "died"! I also distinctly remember the backlash that occurred after "Limbo" aired, so apparently quite a few other people didn't get the last minute memo that the show had been renewed for an eighth season. Of course this was pre-Internet days, so information didn't spread as quickly back then.
Yeah, I didn't know the show was renewed.

And I admit it, I cried.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#24 Post by Mavrick »

KENJI wrote:When a young Thomas is at his dad's funeral and he salutes with his dad's watch on. :cry:
Yes That was very moving for me I did have my heart in my throat when I saw that,
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:
Yeah, I didn't know the show was renewed.

And I admit it, I cried.
Aha..Of course I had to look no farther than that incredible source of information; Magnum Mania to find what I was looking for.
Here is a link to an article about the upcoming Limbo episode, the uproar by fans when word got out TM would die, Selleck announcing a season eight and his refusal to re-shoot the final episode for season seven, just to tweak it.........
http://magnum-mania.com/Articles/MPI_33.pdf

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

Good find Steve.

Either way, a lot of people didn't hear about the renewal prior to "Limbo" airing. I also seem to vaguely remember commercial promos during Season Seven mentioning that "this was the last season of Magnum, so don't miss it", or something to that effect. It was definitely being pushed as the last season for quite a while.

I just remember being really angry and throwing pillows at the TV!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#27 Post by N1095A »

J.J. Walters wrote:
I just remember being really angry and throwing pillows at the TV!
Well, at least you didn't get REALLY angry and pull an Elvis by shooting out the TV:)
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Kolchak
Lieutenant

#28 Post by Kolchak »

I remember first hearing that Magnum was gonna be stabbed to death by a psychopath in the series finale. They changed it to shot and then, he of course survived that.

Saddest moment..
Home From The Sea, when Magnum calls out near the end:

"I made it dad, why couldn't you?"

Makes me think of my own dad.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Seaver41 »

J.J. Walters wrote:

it was clearly known that it was not the last episode. It was big entertainment news back then, and even though it was pre-internet.....it was not the Stone Age either. Back then the TV Guide was extremely informative as well as Entertainment Tonight (yes it was around). This was no deep dark secret.......regular viewers knew it was coming back.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Seaver41 »

Kolchak wrote:I remember first hearing that Magnum was gonna be stabbed to death by a psychopath in the series finale. They changed it to shot and then, he of course survived that.

Saddest moment..
Home From The Sea, when Magnum calls out near the end:

"I made it dad, why couldn't you?"

Makes me think of my own dad.
...any time you hear TAPS being played, it is a given that sadness is in play.