MPI Al's Automotive cap.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

MPI Al's Automotive cap.

#1 Post by N1095A »

I've been playing with the idea of having some patches custom embroidered. I've sent out some emails, and gotten a few replies. So far, the best price I've gotten is $167.50 for 50 of the patches. I also found the red and white mesh cap online for $8.00 each. I was just wondering how much interest there would be in the patches. I would sell them here for the price they cost me, no profit. After that, I can sell the rest on Ebay it might make it affordable.

Also, would you be interedted in :
A) Just a patch for $3-$4
B) Patch sewn to cap like TM's" for $3-$4 for patch, $8.00 for cap, nominal fee from the professional embroidery shop for sewing on patches, shipping.
The price for a complete cap should be somewhere around $15.00. This is just for MM board members. The left over ones I sell on Ebay would be slightly higher due to Ebay costs. My interest here is to obtain a cap for myself, provide caps for those MM members that are interested, do all this for a reasonable price. I don't want to make money from this, just cover my costs.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Last edited by N1095A on Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#2 Post by IslandHopper »

Hey N1095A, I would be interested in the cap with the patch sewn on. Are you looking for a minimum number of orders before you purchase the patches and caps?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

N1095A

#3 Post by N1095A »

IslandHopper wrote:Hey N1095A, I would be interested in the cap with the patch sewn on. Are you looking for a minimum number of orders before you purchase the patches and caps?
I'm not sure yet. I just want to see what kind of interest there is for right now.

Here's the proof they sent:

I sent a reply asking that they make the red band thicker, and the word "Tigers" taller.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#4 Post by IslandHopper »

Very cool. :) How 'bout the hats? Are they pretty similar to the one Magnum is wearing? In the 80's those things were all around, but now it's difficult to find them. There are mesh hats, but in many cases, the mesh feels like a different material.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

N1095A

#5 Post by N1095A »

IslandHopper wrote:Very cool. :) How 'bout the hats? Are they pretty similar to the one Magnum is wearing? In the 80's those things were all around, but now it's difficult to find them. There are mesh hats, but in many cases, the mesh feels like a different material.
You can get the spongy type that was popular back then. I personally would prefer a cotton cap, the spongy ones seemed cheap. It's hard to tell which kind the original was, but I suspect it was the spongy type. They were used for a lot of local sports teams, which I think the cap represents. For authenticity you'd probably want the spongy type. For comfort and long wear, you'd want to upgrade. The ones I priced out at $8.00 each were the cotton ones. They look very much like the original. I'm sure I won't get these exactly like the original, but I want to try to get them as close as possible.

Waltstasz
Admiral

#6 Post by Waltstasz »

I would definitely be interested in one. A complete cap, I mean...
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#7 Post by IslandHopper »

N1095A wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:Very cool. :) How 'bout the hats? Are they pretty similar to the one Magnum is wearing? In the 80's those things were all around, but now it's difficult to find them. There are mesh hats, but in many cases, the mesh feels like a different material.
You can get the spongy type that was popular back then. I personally would prefer a cotton cap, the spongy ones seemed cheap. It's hard to tell which kind the original was, but I suspect it was the spongy type. They were used for a lot of local sports teams, which I think the cap represents. For authenticity you'd probably want the spongy type. For comfort and long wear, you'd want to upgrade. The ones I priced out at $8.00 each were the cotton ones. They look very much like the original. I'm sure I won't get these exactly like the original, but I want to try to get them as close as possible.
I would prefer the cotton type. I always thought that the one Magnum wore is cotton. I'll have to pay closer attention next time I see it. I would still prefer the cotton type, regardless.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#8 Post by Doc Ibold »

I don't know about anyone else here, but I'll take the trucker version!

(For authenticity's sake)

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by grapeshot »

Put me down for a patch AND a cap!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by perfectlykevin »

Well, you already knew it but I'm good for atleast a patch and a cotton cap :D

Kev

N1095A

#11 Post by N1095A »

I'm a little disappointed. I sent some revisions to the manufacturer last Friday, and I haven't heard back. The red stripe is too narrow on the proof they sent, and the TIGERS wording needed to be taller. I'll keep you posted.

N1095A

#12 Post by N1095A »

I finally got the revised proof back. Maybe a little too late, but I got it. Anyway, the stripe and lettering look good, but the small diamonds got enlarged, and elongated when the revisions were done, so I'm having it re-done again. I'm hoping that I will still be able to have these made with leaving for the road and all. At least the patches if not the caps. It just might take a little while longer.

N1095A

#13 Post by N1095A »

Okay, Here it is. the final revision. Let me know what you think. As I said, I still plan to have these made, although I may not be able to have the caps done. I'm just not sure when. Hopefully before too long.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by perfectlykevin »

N1095A wrote:Okay, Here it is. the final revision. Let me know what you think. As I said, I still plan to have these made, although I may not be able to have the caps done. I'm just not sure when. Hopefully before too long.
Looks good! I kept going back and forth between the pic at the top of the thread and the patch you have and it's spot on to my eye!

Congrats on the project and let me know where to send some $ :D

Kev

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by grapeshot »

Yeah, me too. It's PERFECT!