The Estate Tidal Pool and Beach

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#46 Post by Mr. Greene »

Thats too bad, this was an iconic place for fans. I can see the point if there was damage to the property. maybe she should sell the place I'm sure someone would buy it

Sir Fearing Pangborn
Ensign

#47 Post by Sir Fearing Pangborn »

thats a shame i never got a chance to see it at the right sand level. At least the tidal pool is still there ,

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Sir Fearing Pangborn wrote:...., this lady anderson sounds like a skank, just sell the house if you dont like the fans . Typical that shes a lib democrat ;)
With all respect, thats utterly nonsense.

I wonder how you'd feel if fans would be lurking around your house and property for more than 30 years.

As much as I'd love to visit the place when I am able to make it to Hawaii, I can understand, that this is pretty annoying for the owner of the site.
I know, that it's a public beach but I am also sure, that many people who are looking for the site, are not very sensible. Imagine, if your house is regulraly trafficed by all kind of tourist groups and people constantly shooting pics over the fence.

Additionally, older people tend to not invest too much into their homes and that's regardless to any political orientation ;)

I for my part am pretty happy, that the estate has not changed hands in the past. Who knows, what a new owner may have done with it but I am sure, that there won't be much left now.
Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#49 Post by robspace54 »

"public beach" Under Hawaii state law, every beach is a public beach, and have been so since the mid 80s. Exceptions are some military areas, those closed due to environmental concerns, or a very few nude beaches that have grandfather status.

A recent law requires homeowners from blocking beach access, whether it be by artificial barriers, or through vegetation.

And BTW political comments are way of base here, me thinks. :-)

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#50 Post by Pahonu »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
Sir Fearing Pangborn wrote:...., this lady anderson sounds like a skank, just sell the house if you dont like the fans . Typical that shes a lib democrat ;)
With all respect, thats utterly nonsense.
I'm not sure such overgeneralization and juvenile name-calling is worthy of much respect. I agree with Rob about the political comments.

Sir Fearing Pangborn
Ensign

#51 Post by Sir Fearing Pangborn »

if fans were lurking around my house i would move ! no one is forcing her to stay there .

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

sorry, but the "shanky bitch" is way out of line even with a ;) and to suggest an 82 old lady "if you don't like it then move" displays some very bad manners.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Sam »

Sir Fearing,please, no political comments..Thanks

Sir Fearing Pangborn
Ensign

#54 Post by Sir Fearing Pangborn »

its called common sense , and 84 or 24, i keep it real dude.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by steveadl »

Sir Fearing Pangborn wrote:its called common sense , and 84 or 24, i keep it real dude.
Yes, perhaps you'd prefer her to sell, and what do you think the chances are of another person who loves tourists flocking to their private house buying it will be? Money says it would more likely be a developer who'll subdivide the estate into 4 smaller blocks or redevelop it into a retirement community. Would that suit you better? :roll:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by KENJI »

I have to agree with Rear Admiral Steveadl. I hardly think she deserves to be called those names just because she would like to enjoy her private residence in peace. If you owned a place like the estate would you want to "Just Move" - I don't think so!
Why should she leave a place she obviously loves for a few inconsiderate people, who on the flip side would probably freak out the first time someone was taking pictures of them in their backyards -it is a common courtesy. I know everyone of us would give up a kidney to get inside, but we have to respect the owner's privacy within the perimeter of the walls. When you think about it, our own curiosity/fascination with the estate and taking it too far could one day be the reason for it to be sold and most likely torn down and developed, so lets be thankful that Mrs. Anderson has put up with us for so long!!! I agree the place is in desperate need of some major repairs and it kills us to see it that way, but she probably can't afford it and the alternative is the wrecking ball. Like everything in life, nothing lasts forever and change happens everyday - like it or not. I hope she lives to a hundred and if the place deteriorates even more, well at least it is still the estate and not condos!! Thanks Mrs Anderson!!!!!!!!!!

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

cheers Kenji and all the best to you, Mrs. Anderson!

Thank you deeply for owning the estate still and hopefully for a very long time still!

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#58 Post by Mr. Greene »

steveadl wrote:
Sir Fearing Pangborn wrote:its called common sense , and 84 or 24, i keep it real dude.
Yes, perhaps you'd prefer her to sell, and what do you think the chances are of another person who loves tourists flocking to their private house buying it will be? Money says it would more likely be a developer who'll subdivide the estate into 4 smaller blocks or redevelop it into a retirement community. Would that suit you better? :roll:
good point but if someone bought it knowing it was the iconic Magnum house I think they might not be so offended with the crowds and you never know they may even make some money back by giving some tours of the grounds

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by steveadl »

Mr. Greene wrote:
steveadl wrote:
good point but if someone bought it knowing it was the iconic Magnum house I think they might not be so offended with the crowds and you never know they may even make some money back by giving some tours of the grounds
Yes anything's possible, but let's be realistic. If someone has the wealth to buy themselves a sprawling $7M estate in Hawaii, what do you think the chances are they care about making what, say $20k a year from tourists running around their property every weekend?

It's a nice thought/dream that a Magnum fan would buy the estate and open it to fans, but if you think about it seriously for a moment - it's just not going to happen. Option A; developers. Option B; a wealthy private person not interested in Magnum fans the same as Mrs. Anderson. The only benefit with option B over Mrs. Anderson is they may renovate the place a bit again. Other than that, we still ain't getting in.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Mr. Greene wrote:
The fact, that until today, a remake of Magnum p.i. did not make it to the cinemas may give you a hint, how large the fanbase for MPI really is.

It's a nice idea to buy the estate and open it to the fans, but I am afraid, that not enough of them will be willing to spend money for tours.

It may be easy to multiply potential visitors x 10-50$ entrance fees but the first question is, if the potential visitor numbers can be achieved.

Secondly, there are taxes, renovation cost to get the place capable for tours, marketing cost and the staff who needs to be there, which significantly reduce the total profit.

I am a MPI fan but I won't touch such an endeavor, even if I had the money to buy the place. Money says: Divide the property or slam down the house and make something more modern, bigger and fancy if you can afford it for yourself.