Alpha Watch "Rolex Look"

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#16 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree Styles. You would think he would've sported an old Soviet watch. Maybe he traded a few boxes of cigars for the Rolex?

Jake
Rear Admiral

#17 Post by Jake »

He probably yanked it off someones wrist as he was sending them to the firing squad!

I wonder if Cuban cigars are really all that great? Everyone always raves about them and wishes they could get their hands on them - but I wonder if it is more of a "want what you cant have" kinda thing? I am not a regular cigar smoker, so I probably would not know if one type was better than another and I dont think I know anyone who has ever smoked a cuban.

What type of cigar did Magnum smoke on the show? Wait, I think I know the answer - whatever he could swipe from Higgins.

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by Lt Tanaka »

edit
Last edited by Lt Tanaka on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#19 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Lt Tanaka wrote:Che Guevara was Argentinian.
...but he's certainly best known for his major role in the Cuban Revolution, no?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#20 Post by Lt Tanaka »

edit
Last edited by Lt Tanaka on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawaii84
Captain

#21 Post by Hawaii84 »

Ordered the Alpha....needed a new watch to replace my Seiko anyway and $57 seemed cheap enough for a throwaway (if it doesn't last too long)...The Seiko lasted 10 years and just needs a new battery (capacitor)...spent $400 on it....Have decided to start socking back $$ for a real GMT....found a 1966 model on ebay the other day for less than three grand...not sure what it finally sold for. Will report back on the Alpha.

John.1962
Commander

Alpha Watch May Be Junk

#22 Post by John.1962 »

I really got excited about the Alpha so I decided to do some research. Here is a review I found"

http://www.wristwatchreview.com/2006/08 ... gmt-diver/

Hawaii84
Captain

#23 Post by Hawaii84 »

OK...watch left Hong Kong on Thursday and is in my hand today....I'll let you know what I think after I've had a chance to wear it.

wdm
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by wdm »

my watch arrived and was very well packaged and looks great. So far, so good.

Hawaii84
Captain

#25 Post by Hawaii84 »

wdm wrote:my watch arrived and was very well packaged and looks great. So far, so good.
Ditto.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#26 Post by golfmobile »

Have you guys taken a shower with it to see how water-"resistant" it is?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Hawaii84
Captain

#27 Post by Hawaii84 »

Nope....figured I would not tempt fate. I bought it to wear occasionally and don't want push my luck......$57 including shipping from Hong Kong to Texas...if it looks good and keeps time....I'm happy. If I have it on and am forced to jump into the ocean at the docks to avoid a fight with 4 guys...I'll report back :)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#28 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Hawaii84 wrote:Nope....figured I would not tempt fate. I bought it to wear occasionally and don't want push my luck......$57 including shipping from Hong Kong to Texas...if it looks good and keeps time....I'm happy. If I have it on and am forced to jump into the ocean at the docks to avoid a fight with 4 guys...I'll report back :)
:lol: :lol: Should that happen, I hope your timepiece survives the plunge.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Hawaii84
Captain

#29 Post by Hawaii84 »

Went to a local water park yesterday....the Alpha seems to have survived.....nothing deep....but in and out of the pools, slides, rides, etc. all day....

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#30 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

The one I bought seemed to do well in the water, it just failed in every other aspect. Oh well, after shipping I was still under twenty bucks .