Magnum and Michelle

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsMoustache
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Magnum and Michelle

#1 Post by MagnumsMoustache »

I always find their relationship really sad. Every time Magnum gets close to her, he loses her again, in Season 8 tragically. I just find it sad how it seems every encounter dating back to their marriage seems to have been a sad one, one which ended in pain and loss. In that sense I feel bad for Magnum, and I kind of dislike Michelle for it, especially when how she left him to begin with--It was her choice the first time to go back to the General; the other times she left I can understand but even so, I feel sad for Magnum.

By the way does anyone know if Magnum was still technically legally married to her after her ''death'' in 1975? I've never been married and he wasn't married to her in America so I'm wondering if in America they were ever legally considered married.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

If I was Magnum it would give me a clue that bad things happen when this woman is around. I know they kept her in for a reason, but I think TM would've been able to cut her off.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by MACattack »

I think Michele is a confused woman. Possibly a floozy. She had no right to hurt Magnum or to conceal his daughter from him.
I just don't give a damn!

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by only looking »

at the same time..Michelle was the best thing that happened to Magnum..by way of Lily..Made Magnum grow up a little and take responiblity and become more of an adult. It's a point of perspective..... :wink:
Last edited by only looking on Sat May 01, 2010 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MACattack »

you're absolutely right about Lily!
I feel the same way about my daughter Jasmine! She made me be more responsible. Still a beach bum, though. 8)

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by robspace54 »

I think that Magnum and Michelle being together for a time and then losing that relationship was tragic and dramatic. The on-again-off-again thing is a product of our modern TV and films. What worked once and pulled heartstrings, well why not again, think the producers and writers. And you know what? That story has stuck with us; so it works.

I think that their relationship was just like the star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet and there you have it. Brought togther by love yet ripped apart by fate.

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

MagnumsMoustache
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#7 Post by MagnumsMoustache »

I wish we had gotten to see more of their early relationship. Yeah we saw the flashbacks to their wedding and her ''death'' during the Fall of Saigon but I don't remember seeing any of their early affair. I think flashbacks to it might've made the relationship even more tragic and special--had we seen their love before tragedy stole it.

robspace54
Vice Admiral

Re: Magnum and Michelle

#8 Post by robspace54 »

MagnumsMoustache wrote:By the way does anyone know if Magnum was still technically legally married to her after her ''death'' in 1975? I've never been married and he wasn't married to her in America so I'm wondering if in America they were ever legally considered married.
I beleive that when a US military member wishes to marry a foreign national the intention must verified (not approved per se) by their military branch - mainly so that insurance coverage, etc is complete. So yes TM amd MH are (or were) married.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

DarCA
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by DarCA »

Michelle was a very strong Catholic - her faith meant everything to her. In the eyes of The Church, outdoors weddings are not sanctioned - so she was never married to Magnum because the ceremony took place outdoors.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by MACattack »

Catholicism is so out-dated! The only cool thing about is Magnum's cross of St. Lorraine ring!

MagnumsMoustache
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#11 Post by MagnumsMoustache »

Was it ever said if Magnum was Catholic too or just Michelle?

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MACattack »

Magnum never talked about faith. I think he was down for Lily!