Mike Post Opening Theme Question

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Dervish
Rear Admiral

Mike Post Opening Theme Question

#1 Post by Dervish »

So, apparently, our beloved opening theme was introduced as the CLOSING theme in episode 1.08. We didn't hear it as the opening theme until 1.12.

I find it hard to believe they had this most excellent theme back in 1.08 and they didn't use it for in the opening until 4 episodes later! Does anyone know the process by which the Mike Post theme became the opening theme? What I mean is, was it originally intended to be just the closing theme and they only made it the opening theme after a lot of outside positive feedback, for example?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Good question Dervish. I don't know the answer, unfortunately.

I do know that Mike Post went to high school with Tom Selleck (same class). Maybe that had something to do with him (and Pete Carpenter) becoming involved?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Coops »

To me it would seem a simple matter of realising the original theme was 'dated', sounding like it was directly from the '70s. The new theme was fresh and exciting, a much better fit than the '70s jazz theme. So, they thought, "Hey, let's make this the opening theme!" and the rest is history. But it's only a theory.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree Coops. I think they wanted to spice it up and make it a little more "modern".

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#5 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

Agree too. The earlier theme sounds a bit dated

The Mike post/Carpenter song have a very catchy tune.
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#6 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Another possibility is they already filmed the other episodes before the 1.8 ep when we first here the theme.

Dervish
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by Dervish »

StarchedUndershirts wrote:Another possibility is they already filmed the other episodes before the 1.8 ep when we first here the theme.
That's an excellent point. Thanks!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Coops »

SU, good point!

Also, I think the iconic theme song is still so good...it's my cellphone ringtone! When it rings people will turn and look! No other ringtone does that.

Magnum FTW!!!!!

Dervish
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by Dervish »

Coops wrote:Also, I think the iconic theme song is still so good...it's my cellphone ringtone! When it rings people will turn and look!
Mine too!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#10 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Dervish wrote:
Coops wrote:Also, I think the iconic theme song is still so good...it's my cellphone ringtone! When it rings people will turn and look!
Mine too!
One more here that has the ring tone :D

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Anybody know any other shows that have changed their theme music mid-season? It seems pretty unusual now that I think of it. They must have REALLY wanted to make a change. Or else they would have waited for the next season, no?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Coops »

Other than, "Wow! This really kicks ass!", no I don't have a reason.

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#13 Post by rasgards »

Does anyone else kinda like the original theme? I wouldn't go as far as saying it was better than the Iconic, but I feel it has a certain place. It seems to fit with the feel of the original episodes. I little more serious maybe? I don't know...I like it!
Ras G

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#14 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

The 'original theme' was used for some beggining trailers of a few episodes but I don't rememberwhat episodes are. :?
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#15 Post by eagle »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:
Dervish wrote:
Mine too!
One more here that has the ring tone :D
Me too, even today. I like the song so much, sometimes I don't answer my phone and just let the song play. Ever since getting an iPhone, it is the only ringtone I have ever used for calls. I don't use per-person ringtones -- every call to me rings the MPI theme. :D :magnum: