How did you get into Magnum?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Leopard71
Lieutenant

#61 Post by Leopard71 »

MacAttack,

Kudos to your dad and all who served in the war which STILL, IMHO divides our nation..in many ways..culturally for one and the way in which our "leaders" appraoch foreign policy. Also, unfortunately all the risk averse so-called officers, esp those in the army have thier current counterparts..

I served then as an officer..I was labelled a maverick by those above me, and in particular field grade type lookin to get their ticket punched without ever having to dodge NVA/VC lead..

I swear in everyday conversation if I heard these words once..I heard em a thousand times in 2 yrs...

" Well. I'd do that, but what about my career"

Id usually respond, but only to other Lts...

" well you know there are thousands of civilian jobs' far less dangerous..

With most other Lt types that was considered good natured banter. but if overheard by one of those field grade types...I was usually reprmanded..

Their priorities usually were:

1. My career
2. the Mission
3. The Men's welfare or chance of survival

Mine was:

1. The mission
2. The mens welfare
3. My career..if there was even goin to be one

Back then I was 3rd generation military Dad was in WWII and injured severly in an overturned halftrack just prior to embarking for N Africa w Patton..his father died in 1934..from the LT effects of wounds in action in the Argonne Forrest...I guess imbedded shrapnel took years to slowly create kidney disease..

My son served 7 yrs..AF & Army and was recalled to duty after 911.

Its too bad we still have risk averse careerists, esp considering the GWOT in which bold focused action by the right players might have nabbed OBL at Tora Bora....

accounts written by those who were there indicated that different types of Army leaders, with different attitudes toward risk couldve done it

off my soapbox....... some navy types in Magnum episode remind me of careerists...

sad

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#62 Post by Styles Bitchley »

BobBlusoe wrote:since I also watch S&S as a companion to Magnum like it was in the original run
That's awesome. I'm envious of your fresh eyes dude.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Little Garwood »

The one thing I noticed as a kid during MPI's initial run was that the program wasn't terribly popular among my fellow schoolmates! My two close friends and I loved the show, but if anyone else enjoyed it as much as we did, they sure kept that fact under wraps. When I asked my wife if her family watched Magnum, she said they didn't discover it until it was in syndication! They kicked themselves for having missed out on it.

I believe that MPI's later ratings popularity and Emmy awards were a validation of just how good the show was.

I still think that MPI was a quiet hit at first and then around 1987 --towards the end--a lot of others caught on to why this show was so great.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Coops »

There definitely was an unparalleled magic to those Thursday nights with Magnum and Simon & Simon. I literally couldn't WAIT for Thursday nights to come around.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Little Garwood »

Coops wrote:There definitely was an unparalleled magic to those Thursday nights with Magnum and Simon & Simon. I literally couldn't WAIT for Thursday nights to come around.
So true! At the time, I saw Thursday nights as the beginning of the weekend. I despised school, so when Thursday evening rolled around, what I saw as the start of the weekend did, too. Because the next day being Friday, I could daydream through that in anticipation of the weekend and time playing with friends. Magnum and S&S had nothing but great associations for me. Heck, they still do!

BTW, the first time I ever heard the song "California Dreamin'" was in the beginning of a S&S episode. I believe it was the typical "CBS Studio Band" cover version, but the song was so good even with that being my first time hearing it. I forget which episode it was played in, though.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#66 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:BTW, the first time I ever heard the song "California Dreamin'" was in the beginning of a S&S episode. I believe it was the typical "CBS Studio Band" cover version, but the song was so good even with that being my first time hearing it. I forget which episode it was played in, though.
The first time I heard "Hey Jude" was in a Simon & Simon episode. It was so long ago I don't remember if it was the actual Beatles version (probably not). It was some melancholy scene where Rick or AJ is going through a box of momentos from an old relationship...I think. Funny how I remember that scene, but nothing else about the episode.

I think I have to invest in some S&S dvds. It would be great to revisit the show as an adult.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by MACattack »

I remember hearing "Purple Haze" on the episode 'All for one'.
I just don't give a damn!

Tidewater
Lieutenant Junior Grade

might get laughed outa here, but?

#68 Post by Tidewater »

another poster mentioned a few of the 80s hour long dramas got me to thinking.............and thinking back but not too far (thanks to Hulu)..............another 80s series i much enjoyed was Moonlighting. it was quite unique in it's dialog and that many members of the "team" never spoke but did often make visual gestures when spoken too.

just to add, Moonlighting like Magnum had some great theme music,,,, though i prefer the original Magnum theme yet still enjoy the Post score also. TW

Styles Bitchley

Re: might get laughed outa here, but?

#69 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Tidewater wrote:another 80s series i much enjoyed was Moonlighting.
I've been taking in this show for the first time over the past few months. I must admit, I always thought of it as a show my mom would watch, but it's actually pretty awesome. Remington Steele with the characters' personalities reversed.

- J.Q.H.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#70 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I would catch Moonlighting every now and then back in the day. I remember it being a pretty decent show, but MPI and Simon and Simon were my two staples. I don't ever remember watching Miami Vice.

Tidewater
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#71 Post by Tidewater »

yep, the only Miami Vice i watched from beginning to end during it's original run was the one that Phil Collins played a part in. rest of the time i just couldn't stand the complete "coolness" of the 2 main characters & the Ed Almos(sp?) character. the other regulars where okay.

now later, i will watch one here & there just to catch a glimpse of the 80s through that lens. and the Cosby Show just wasn't my cup of tea either. on the other hand, Cheers, Newhart, WKRP & The Equalizer where right up there. TW

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by MACattack »

Other than Magnum, the only thing remember watching was Simon & Simon, Star Trek TNG, and Dr Who. Peter Davison was actually on a MPI episode once ("De Ja Vu").

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: might get laughed outa here, but?

#73 Post by Little Garwood »

Tidewater wrote:another poster mentioned a few of the 80s hour long dramas got me to thinking.............and thinking back but not too far (thanks to Hulu)..............another 80s series i much enjoyed was Moonlighting. it was quite unique in it's dialog and that many members of the "team" never spoke but did often make visual gestures when spoken too.

just to add, Moonlighting like Magnum had some great theme music,,,, though i prefer the original Magnum theme yet still enjoy the Post score also. TW
Never got into Moonlighting--or many ABC shows in general--but a program I recently started watching via Hulu is AIRWOLF, which I enjoyed back in the '80s but my childhood friends were much more enthusiastic about it then than I was. However, I find much to like in Jan- Michael Vincent's Stringfellow Hawke character--I like the splendid isolation of his mountain cabin with all the "original" paintings. Yes, AIRWOLF's music and style are very much of that decade, but it's a fun show and one I'm glad to have revisited.

~Tom Selleck

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by MACattack »

Tv has deteriorated since Magnum went off the air. What do we have coming from Hawai'i now? Dog the Bounty Hunter? That show sucks. Where's the camaraderie? Dog needs to get a haircut and a new wife!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#75 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree! A majority of what is on tv today is a load of crap. Most of it is people that have no ability (John and Kate i.e.) or talent making a name off their load of crap lives.