Shocking Flubs!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

burroughsmvp wrote:Hey James...

somebody may have already mentioned it... but Army and Navy did move their game west one year... in 1983, and played in the Rose Bowl stadium in Pasadena.

Navy won. :)
Doh! Excuse me while I crawl under this rock! :oops: The real "shocking flub" here was me!

I thought the episode said "The Rose Bowl Game", not the Army-Navy Game at the Rose Bowl (as in, Rose Bowl stadium). And I had no idea the Army-Navy Game played at the Rose Bowl (in 1983, just before this episode aired!). [shakes head] Shoulda checked the facts, shoulda checked the facts.

Thanks for the correction Mike. The flub has been removed. And thanks for the other flubs. I should definitely add a "Magnum's Service History" category to the list.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

mc25a
Lieutenant

#17 Post by mc25a »

From season 2 ep. 5 (Memories are forever part 1)

At the very beginning. He's taking pictures of the couple dancing, then decides to take the film out and throw it in the harbor. Almost immediately he picks up the camera and starts snapping pictures of Michelle on the yacht as it passes.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by perfectlykevin »

I have one I noticed last night. In the ep. "Forty" when Magnum is talking with the reporter lady and explaining that he found her earring last night, it was actually two nights ago. He starts to give some other excuses, and then finally fesses up to following her around. The only non-fib was the earring which she would have known about.

Is this a flub or did I miss something in the episode?

Kev

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#19 Post by Doc Ibold »

James,

I totally have one!

In "All Thieves On Deck" Magnum, Rick and TC are all pondering the case and what to do.

Magnum remarks: "I hope Apollo doesn't end up like Miles Archer."
Rick asks: "Who's that?"
T.C. says "Oh, thats Bogarts partner in the Maltese Falcon who got killed in the beginning".

Rick is supposed to be a Bogart junkie! I mean he has a club based off of the one in Casablanca, called his piano player "Sam", even though that wasn't his name, he dressed and talked like him for a period of time, AND he even derived his nickname from a character Bogart played!

Now, wouldn't you think that Rick would know this bit of information?!

Aside: OK, maybe Rick is only a Casablanca junkie, and he never saw the Maltese Falcon, but that contradicts an earlier statement from Magnum about Rick wanting to grow up being like Humprhey Bogart.

My thing is that if Rick takes one particular Bogart role to the extreme, and I do mean, the extreme, it would be safe to assume that he would also follow the rest of the actors work.

That would be like one of us diehards around here saying something like: "Tom Selleck was in the Jesse Stone movies? Really? Wow, thats interesting..."

Flub?

Please?

C'mon?

:P

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#20 Post by Doc Ibold »

So I take it, no flub?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

I added "Uncle Lyle's Castle Blitz" to the list. Anyone who is a chess fan will get a kick out of it.

Sorry Doc, I'm a little behind. I like your pick! Rick may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but he would certainly know who Miles Archer is! I'll add it tonight.

kevin, I havn't seen Forty in ages. Won't know for sure until the DVD comes out.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#22 Post by Doc Ibold »

No prob James!

I was working out (I watch Magnum when I'm on the elliptical) and I saw that episode and it floored me because it totally went against the history of the series!

I just totally thought it was a shocking flub, but given what we know about Rick, that's a pretty big hiccup!

(I'm not at IslandHopper level yet, but I do what I can)

:wink:

mc25a
Lieutenant

#23 Post by mc25a »

The simon & simon crossover episode. At the end they are returning the cursed idol in TC's helicopter. It falls out of the box and the engine starts to fail. TC says that the mixture was too rich. That would apply to a piston aircraft, but not one with a turbine engine such as tc's.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

Fantastic spot there mc25a! Thanks!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#25 Post by golfmobile »

I don't know if this will count, but I am a bit of a grammar freak and one of my pet peeves is the use of "lay" (a transitive verb meaning "to place or put") instead of "lie" (an INtransive verb meaning "to recline or rest in place").

In "J. 'Digger' Doyle" that I just watched, it was used TWICE! Once by TM as he was LYING on the sofa in the study and he said he was just going to "lay there." Then in the last scene when Higgins asked about Robin Masters' tapes and he asked if they were just "laying there" with Blondie, Styx, etc., with TM's other tapes. Higgins would never misuse "lay" for "lie." I would HOPE TM wouldn't -- he IS educated! But hearing this is like fingernails on blackboard to me. "Lay" is the past tense of "lie" -- I lay on the beach yesterday -- past tense. But I'm lying on the beach right now, e.g. (but I'm not, wish I were [subjunctive] -- well, not really, it's 102 degrees here in Atlanta right now -- my tomatoes are COOKING on the vine!).

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#26 Post by SelleckLover »

Golf! I am sort of a grammar freak myself! Here are some pointers that may (or may not) help some of you out there:

1. Make sure each pronoun agrees with their antecedent.
2. Just between you and I, the case of pronouns is important.
3. Don't use no double negatives.
4. Being bad grammar, a writer should not use dangling modifiers.
5. Join clauses good like a conjunction should.
6. About sentence fragments.
7. Don't abbrev.
8. Check to see if you any words out.
9. Mixed metaphors are a pain in the neck and ought to be weeded out.
10. To ignorantly split an infinitive is a practice to religiously avoid.
11. Make no mistake's in forming plural's.
12. Last but not least, lay off the cliches.
End of lesson! :D

The above is taken in part from: The Bruxus Bulletin #40 and is titled "The Flushing Style Manual of the English Language."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#27 Post by golfmobile »

SelleckLover,

ROTFLMAO!!!

I couldn't have hardly said it better (YES, I KNOW that's wrong!).

Thanks for such a GREAT contribution!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#28 Post by J.J. Walters »

Conjunction junction, what's your function? :)

You fine ladies would fit right in with my wife (except for the minor fact that she hates Magnum). She's a grammar wiz, and a fantastic writer. I, on the other hand, have horrendous grammar! I can't believe I'm actually running a public website and stringing words together!
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#29 Post by J.J. Walters »

And oh yes, I almost forgot. Golf, thanks for the great flub addition!

SL, thank you for posting that great grammar list! I'm going to print that out and stick it on my monitor at work. It should come in handy! :)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#30 Post by SelleckLover »

You're welcome James and golf. Glad you enjoyed it. :D