A Crazy Magnum Movie Proposal from New Member

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

Megan Fox would steal all of the "thunder" from the show. Her name would probably appear above Selleck's!

No, it's still Jenna Fischer for me. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by MACattack »

Stylez bitchey doesn't realize that MPI fans and Trekkies are the SAME people!!!

Doc Ibold is right about Megan Fox playing Lily. She's a hottie!

Universal is just trying to make money so go ahead and do it! Just don't piss off the fans!!!
I just don't give a damn!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by MACattack »

A very cool hypothetical situation: MAGNACON 2010!
Selleck, Mosley, and Manetti will be there to sign autographs and talk about their new movie.
Oh yeah, and the Tigers will make it to the World Series!

I don't know why I feel so passionately about a show that's been off the air for 21 years. It could be that I've seen so many parallels between Magnum's life and mine. Selleck/Magnum is a hero in my eyes.

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by 308GTS »

James is right, Megan Fox would probably take top billing as her career is on the up. I don't think MPI fans would object though.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#20 Post by Doc Ibold »

308GTS wrote:James is right, Megan Fox would probably take top billing as her career is on the up. I don't think MPI fans would object though.
There are a number of different levels you could take this as....

1) A Magnum PI movie would HAVE to have Magnum as the lead. Now, Megan Fox as Lily would have to have an older Thomas Magnum... which means Selleck. Thus, this benefits us all.

2) Aside from the fans, who's gonna watch a big screen adaptation of MPI with the original cast? (Inviting the slings and arrows with this comment, but I'm a pragmatist... Studios want $$$$) She brings instant "current" starpower that says "Watch this movie!. Read.. Jessica Simpson in "Dukes of Hazzard"****. Yes TS is a class act and is a great actor, but most people these days haven't heard of Tom Selleck except to say "oh, My mom LOVED that guy back in the day, or... "Its the Jesse Stone guy".

**** Doc's editorial comment... It shouldn't be ALL about her, but it brings visibility. Plus, she's not terrible as an actress. And, as 308GTS says, she's about the right height/build/age to play Lily.

3) You can get away with the (original) characters being older in this one, and you can have characters such as Bryant/Melody in adult roles, as well as Ricks kid, and a brood of Higginses relatives to round out the cast.

I say we don't poo-poo the idea!

(yes, a very large reach... but, still!)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#21 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Megan Fox is hot, but she can't act her way out of a paper bag. Still, I guess that hasn't stopped studios before.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#22 Post by N1095A »

I wonder what it would take to get Kristen Carreira. Hey, I'm a purist, sue me.

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by 308GTS »

N1095A wrote:I wonder what it would take to get Kristen Carreira. Hey, I'm a purist, sue me.
This would be the best idea of course, but is she still an actress, would she be willing to take on the role etc etc?

Agree that Megan Fox is no actress, maybe they could get Meryl Streep to play the part, hell, she's the most versatile actress ever...!

Anne Hathaway is another good choice?
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#24 Post by Styles Bitchley »

308GTS wrote:maybe they could get Meryl Streep to play the part, hell, she's the most versatile actress ever...!
hahaha - you're right, she's awesome. Maybe she'd surprise us all and pull it off! :wink:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by MACattack »

Meryl Streep as Lily? Might as well have Ben Stiller play Magnum and Mel Brooks direct it!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

TS is only four years older than Ms. Streep. He might be a tad bit offended if he was asked to play her father. :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by MACattack »

I have to agree with James J. Walters. I do think that Meryl Streep could play Agatha Chumley. She certainly is more feminine than Gillian Dobb!

N1095A

#28 Post by N1095A »

MACattack wrote:...She [Meryl Streep] certainly is more feminine than Gillian Dobb!
Ms. Dobb was and is beloved as Agatha, and while she may not have been every man's idea of the perfect physical specimen, she was never intended to be. She was beautiful in her own way, and every bit a true lady. I don't mean to stir ill feelings in our group, but I find some of the comments about Ms. Dobb and Mr. Hillerman to be in poor taste.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by MACattack »

No worries mate. Hillerman will always be a class act. Plus I heard that he is willing to come out of retirement to play Higgy-baby once again. The only people that we should piss on is the people at Universal for taking so long to come out with a movie!

N1095A

#30 Post by N1095A »

MACattack wrote:No worries mate. Hillerman will always be a class act. Plus I heard that he is willing to come out of retirement to play Higgy-baby once again. The only people that we should piss on is the people at Universal for taking so long to come out with a movie!
You're absolutely right about Universal. By all accounts they are the ones who are to blame for this not getting done years ago.