Magnum's Sunglasses - Update - Found!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by only looking »

I found a pair of the sur ski type sunglasses Magnum's always wearing, this is the closet there currently is on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Motorcycle- ... 3a543e02df

It took about 4 months of looking every couple of days, but I found the EXACT pair. When my wife gets her digital camera latter this month, I plan to post alot of Magnum props..and there's more than I thought. I think many will be pleasantly surprised. :)
It made me do it Higgins!!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

Dan wrote:James, I'm not exactly sure if there's a difference between the lense type or the model. Seems there's blue frames as well that were available.
I figured out enough to know that the version TM sports are the earlier model of the Aciers- later models have initials in place of the gold square.
Thanks -- The reason I ask is because I see references to "Skilynx Aciers" as both a lense type AND the sunglasses themselves.

I've added the Vuarnet Skilynx Aciers to the Magnum Gear page and removed the Carreras.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#18 Post by N1095A »

I wanted these myself, but I'm not in a position to buy.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3DWatching
I hope someone here gets 'em.

By the way, I also found these on Ebay:
I believe they're the same brand as TM wore except his had a much darker tint. Note the brown leather bridge and side shields, and white cable temples. The seller didn't mention a brand name, but stated they were stamped AOM. Google searches turned up nothing.
Last edited by N1095A on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Steve »

As some of you know, I love to ride Motorcycles and one of the problems I have encountered over the years is to find a pair of glasses I can wear at night, be able to see and most importantly not have my eyes tear up. I found the following site a couple of years ago when looking for Magnum's surf ski/ goggle glasses.........
http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/goggles1.html
As you can see, they have many styles of old school/goggle style glasses, tinted and clear. (I ended up buying the style that those of you that are a bit longer in the tooth like I, might remember wearing in shop class in school.Although I look like a nerd, they sure do work well).

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by steveadl »

James J. Walters wrote:
steveadl wrote:Not a fan of the 'old lady strings' TM has attached to them in the photos though!
This is a necessary accessory for a P.I. like Magnum. You wouldn't want your favorite shades to fall off and get stepped on during brawls with various henchmen and goons, now would you? ;)
hehe true, as he find out all too often! :D

4 days to go.....

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by only looking »

The pair I have are Bausch & Lomb..they come in a metal case. Keep looking if anyone tends to buy a pair. Don't settle for close, unless you like the difference. I waited and I was VERY HAPPY :D
Last edited by only looking on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Tidewater
Lieutenant Junior Grade

surf ski glasses

#22 Post by Tidewater »

more than likely, not that i know to be exact though............the glacier glasses worn by TM where made by either Julbo or Cebe. frame & lens styles change somewhat over time but Cebe still has the exact frames in their lineup. don't think Julbo still has the round lens available though? joe