Robin Masters

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ThomasSullivanMagnumIV
Captain

Robin Masters

#1 Post by ThomasSullivanMagnumIV »

Why was his face never shown?

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#2 Post by IslandHopper »

I don't really know why Robin's face was never shown. But the voice from 1981-1985 was Orson Welles. Maybe the producers figured that he was getting older and didn't want the viewers to get used to seeing him as Robin, and figured they may have to replace him at some point. Or, maybe they did it so that they can raise the question in later episodes that maybe J.Q. Higgins is really Robin Masters. That's a good question. Did the writer's of the show plan to imply that Higgins was Robin from the very beginning? :?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#3 Post by rubber chicken »

I always thought he was purposely made out to be mysterious. He's the man who provides the livings (partially at least) and homes of the two main characters in the show and is often controlling what happens to them. It's better to imagine him than to have a clear picture.

If we ever actually saw him I think we could only be let down. Things that are mysterious take on a larger than life persona, and that works much better than revealing all.

Or it could have been simply that the shows producers really wanted Orson Welles as Robin Masters but he only wanted to do voice work which is much less of a commitment.

Either way I think it was the best way to go about it.

frog480
Lieutenant Commander

#4 Post by frog480 »

Also Robin Masters is a main (he crops up in almost every episode)character, but no need to pay an actor each week! :) .

Some eps seem a little silly when Robin Masters hosts events on his estate or somewhere on the island but never attends himself.

Also looking at season 1-6, sometimes Higgins, TC, Magnum and Rick, talk about him as if they know him well, but sometimes they don't seem to know much about him at all.

I guess it depends how the writer of the ep, wanted the relationship to work.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Frodoleader »

I find it interesting that they actually got Orson Welles to provide the voice of Robin. I mean ORSON WELLES! An absolute American legend!

eeyore
Admiral

#6 Post by eeyore »

I agree it is the mystique! remember the 50"s show The Millionaire?

tangcameo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#7 Post by tangcameo »

Plus Welles died before they could finally talk him into appearing on the show.

I'm still amazed they didn't "reveal" Robin Masters to be Agatha Chumley (sic). It's always the person you least suspect!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#8 Post by rubber chicken »

hehe, or in that case Kenji the gardener, who was even more elusive than Robin Masters himself.