Magnum pi camo shorts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

only looking
Fleet Admiral

Magnum pi camo shorts

#1 Post by only looking »

Just came across this on ebay. I know that Magnum wears his Navy Seals UDT trunks on the show, but I believe this may answer the question of why his camo shorts were also so short. Never know they came in camo as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-Navy-Vietnam-SEA ... 286.c0.m14
It made me do it Higgins!!!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

I can't name the episode/s, but I know I've seen TM wearing these.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

TM's shorts are a little too short for my taste. I know the swimtrunks they issued us in basic training were very short. I'd be interested to see if they are still that short, or if they have maybe brought them down to mid thigh.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by only looking »

Nope, still that short. :oops: I think they hold tradition and use the same exact pattern and style as they originally did when they first started. I've got Scottish blood in me and I've worn a kilt before (regemential.. :shock: ) and even done that those udt shorts are a little short for my taste as well. LOL

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#5 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

If memory serves me correctly I discarded those swim trunks shortly after bootcamp.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

I picked up a pair of the Navy Seals shorts last year for swimming, unfortunately they are made for the the 18 to 22 year old body type and run very very tight and small. Decorum prevents me from actually wearing them swimming for fear of "the boyz" popping out.......

Jaybird
Admiral

#7 Post by Jaybird »

This is 2009! Only Richard Simmons would wear these.

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#8 Post by Higgy_baby »

only looking wrote: I've got Scottish blood in me and I've worn a kilt before (regemential.. :shock: ) and even done that those udt shorts are a little short for my taste as well. LOL
Regimental is the only way to go. Otherwise you could be up on charge (at least in the old country).

I used to be in a unit that wore kilts. Maybe this is too much information, but a few of us went in uniform to a strip joint one night (regimental of course). This drew a lot of attention from the girls who were quite curious. One of them asked me to look underneath to dispell the myth about what you wear under there. I said go ahead; she did, and the look of shock on her face was priceless. She even sheepishly went to bring a friend to show her too. I remember thinking it ironic that people who take off their clothes for a living had such a shock factor out of a regimental Scotsman.

At least Kilt hemlines stay the same length and don't go out if style like TS's shorts.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by only looking »

Regimental is the only way to go. Otherwise you could be up on charge (at least in the old country).

I used to be in a unit that wore kilts. Maybe this is too much information, but a few of us went in uniform to a strip joint one night (regimental of course). This drew a lot of attention from the girls who were quite curious. One of them asked me to look underneath to dispell the myth about what you wear under there. I said go ahead; she did, and the look of shock on her face was priceless. She even sheepishly went to bring a friend to show her too. I remember thinking it ironic that people who take off their clothes for a living had such a shock factor out of a regimental Scotsman.

At least Kilt hemlines stay the same length and don't go out if style like TS's shorts.[/quote]

"agh..Lad I don't know where you've been, but I see you've won first prize"...LOL :D If anyone doesn't know what this is referring to, it's a song reference about a drunken Scottsman and 2 young lovely girls and their curouisity.

PhatCat
Admiral

#10 Post by PhatCat »

I have a pair of the UDT shorts. No, you really need to wear a speedo or something underneath for fear of getting arrested.

TS has big thighs so that helps seal everything up.

The thing is, it seems like swimsuits today go down to your knees or longer. I hate that. I also don't care for "baller" shorts that go down to my calves.

When getting a tan, I actually prefer having some color on my thighs.

I'm convinced short shorts will be coming back over the next 5 years. :idea:

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Higgy_baby »

only looking wrote: "agh..Lad I don't know where you've been, but I see you've won first prize"...LOL :D If anyone doesn't know what this is referring to, it's a song reference about a drunken Scottsman and 2 young lovely girls and their curouisity.
I know the joke well, but I didnae fall asleep, nor did I get any prize ribbons tied on by the lassies. I never realized how close my situation was to the joke, but I'm not making this up; this is one of those cases where Truth is stranger that Fiction.

Now, back on topic:
N1095A wrote:I can't name the episode/s, but I know I've seen TM wearing these.
TM wears camo shorts in 'From Moscow to Maui' which can be seen at the opening of the scene where Higgins is setting up his toy soldiers for the battle of Austerlitz. The shorts in the episode look more like lime ERDL than the ones on the ebay listing which look like brown ERDL or almost modern Woodland pattern to me.

Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by only looking »

No, really I believe you. It just conjured up that image in my head. Trust me I know about strippers, excuse me Dancers. I worked the door/bouncer at a "Gentleman's Club" for about a year and even dated a few of the girls while I was there...and trust me the stories and things they'd say surprised me at times...aggh the good ole days. :wink:

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#13 Post by Higgy_baby »

only looking wrote:No, really I believe you. It just conjured up that image in my head. Trust me I know about strippers, excuse me Dancers. I worked the door/bouncer at a "Gentleman's Club" for about a year and even dated a few of the girls while I was there...and trust me the stories and things they'd say surprised me at times...aggh the good ole days. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Aye laddie. I probably ran into you at the door in one of those clubs near Churchill Downs when I was in Louisville. Scary neighborhood. Yikes. We'd be better off with Magnum and the boys at the Red Light Club (I think that's what they called it on the show). Maybe James should set up the Red Light Club as part of the Forum Index....then again maybe not. :lol:

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by only looking »

You're right about the neighborhood. I got a ugly mug and that was about 6 months after my father died so I also had "THE LOOK"..which can go a long way sometimes in bluffing out people..especailly drunks.LOL Speaking of the club on Magnum I wonder how the censors missed the stuff in the background (THAT SHOULDN"T HAVE MADE IT TO NETWORK TV). It's the scene in the last episode of the series and they have that big fight in the club. I was like... :shock: I first time I saw that...LOL

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#15 Post by Higgy_baby »

only looking wrote:Speaking of the club on Magnum, I wonder how the censors missed the stuff in the background (THAT SHOULDN"T HAVE MADE IT TO NETWORK TV). It's the scene in the last episode of the series and they have that big fight in the club. I was like... :shock: I first time I saw that...LOL
You're right about that last episode, but the 'Dancers' are also referenced early on in the series in The Woman on the Beach (2.3). Just before Rick was jilted by his love of the moment, Magnum tries to get him to go to the Red Light Club. From the dialogue in Rick's push back and TC's encouragement, I think more than dancing might have been available. Magnum even says the club was busted by the vice squad.

So the series started and ended with the boys interested in Dancers, but had the censors, Agatha, Anglo Hawaiian tea parties and Murder She Wrote stuck in the middle of the run.