Thanks Universal Italia!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#16 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Here in French-speaking Switzerland, EVERYTHING is dubbed into French. I always find it a bit weird, because in English speaking countries (and Scandinavia and Holland, from what I hear), most people prefer sub-titles.

Still, I guess you're able to access a younger demographic by dubbing. I often watch Knight Rider (or "KITT Deux Mille" as it is called here) after work in french, but the audio mix of the voices and the background sound is so poorly done! I've heard MPI is on during the day, but I've never caught it.

Jeffrey's comment about watching American shows in English improving his language skills reminded me of a guy I met while backpacking in New Zealand. We had been chatting about this and that for the evening and I was trying to figure out through his accent if he was Canadian or American (being a Canadian, it's an amusing game to play - usually it's easy, but sometimes it's difficult). So I finally ask him where he's from and he says the Netherlands. Absolutely flawless English with a North American accent and he says he's never even been there.

When I asked him how his English got so good he says in a matter of fact way: watching the Dukes of Hazzard. The Dutch always blow me away with their English speaking skills. I bet American TV has something to do with it.

Could make for an interesting PhD dissertation!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Magnum T. »

Interesting stories.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by Jeffrey »

Thank you for your story Styles Bitchley, funny he was Dutch too. I thank my English skills to the A-Team, James Bond and also to the Dukes. I was already watching those shows and movies when I was seven years old. It helped me trough the English lessons at school without even learning.

And its getting better everyday while watching other American shows. I like to watch House, M.D. too witch makes me learn more difficult words.
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

Jaybird
Admiral

#19 Post by Jaybird »

Magyar Magnum

Here you go, the snorkel scene dubbed in Hungarian. I am 1/2 Hungarian (even speak a little) AND intend, someday, on having my Christmas card be the snorkel scene picture (starring me and my wife, of course).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLsnWk-Q ... re=related

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Magnum T. »

I have watched some French clips, some German clips and now even Hungarian clips.
So far I am even more convinced that Italian voices are the best and the most appropriate to the characters (no offense to anybody :) )
But here it is one thing that I find absolutely outrageous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2adcV9fk_80

They speak over the opening theme!!!
:shock:
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Jaybird
Admiral

#21 Post by Jaybird »

Speaking of Hungarians.....I did the Moloka'i Hoe race last October and right next to my boat, on the beach in the little harbor of Hale O Lono, on Moloka'i, were a bunch of Hungarian Olympic paddlers. These guys paddled either K1 or C1, Olympic boats and got together as a team to see how they would do in this race, against 105 other teams from around the world. Some of these guys were like tree trunks! Anyway, I said the few phrases I knew in Hungarian and then, "Magnum PI ??!!" They responded, "Yes, yes! Magnum PI! We like!" So, the show truly has universal appeal. They all knew Magnum PI and were living their dream, too, being in Hawaii. FYI, their team came in 45th I think....41 miles! They had never paddled the six person Hawaiian canoes before they arrived in Hawaii and only had a week to train as a team.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbTgDRgdXig
Magnum did the solo version, surfski, which is now 32 miles!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UIf4Tqs-kY
2007 race.
Amazing how many guy got into paddling from watching MPI!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#22 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Great story Jaybird. It would be interesting to know what types of activities or passions people have picked up due to Magnum sparking their interest in it.

Jaybird
Admiral

#23 Post by Jaybird »

I think there is a post somewhere related to this. Regarding paddling for fitness....back in the 80s guys were doing marathons, triathlons, etc. Magnum was into that as well as surfski paddling. Reality check! Knees! Gotta find something to do beside running. So I kinda remember surfski paddling from MPI and I met alot of guys who took it up from watching Magnum. For me, I got into outrigger paddling but, still, lots of influence from the show. I enjoy surfski but the learning curve is long and water is cold in Northern California. Not everywhere is as nice as Oahu!

You see aloha shirts on guys, too. I think the show had alot to do with that trend. MPI truly is a cultural phenomena and it crosses generations.

I wonder if Tom Selleck and the rest of the cast really know what an influence they had on many, many people

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

Jaybird wrote:Speaking of Hungarians.....I did the Moloka'i Hoe race last October and right next to my boat, on the beach in the little harbor of Hale O Lono, on Moloka'i, were a bunch of Hungarian Olympic paddlers. These guys paddled either K1 or C1, Olympic boats and got together as a team to see how they would do in this race, against 105 other teams from around the world. Some of these guys were like tree trunks! Anyway, I said the few phrases I knew in Hungarian and then, "Magnum PI ??!!" They responded, "Yes, yes! Magnum PI! We like!"
Jaybird, you should have asked them if they knew anything about the mysterious "Hungarian Acrobats". ;)

Great thread, lots of interesting info.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Magnum T. »

James J. Walters wrote:Jaybird, you should have asked them if they knew anything about the mysterious "Hungarian Acrobats". ;)
You're absolutely right!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"