How often do you watch Magnum PI?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#16 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Not as often as I'd like. My wife isn't interested and time is in short supply with a toddler around the house! Still, I can usually squeeze in an episode a week.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by MPS »

It was one episode per night when I first purchased the DVD's. Lately it has been one every week or two. Got distracted by the Tour de France in July, which caused a TV overdose.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by Lt Tanaka »

Interesting topic. Watched the dvd of each season within 2 or 3 days of purchase. Now it tends to be when I need to see Hawaiian landscapes to escape the endless city of Tokyo, or when I read something on this forum that makes we want to watch a particular show. Some episode I tend to watch more than other. Sometimes it's even just particular scenes, like the luau scene from Kapu.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#19 Post by golfmobile »

Steve,

You should have bargained MPI episodes for toilet and shower (and a/c) privileges. Instead of watching with you at your metal box, they should have invited you into their plush trailers! I certainly would have -- even for MPI, I wouldn't have sat out in the heat when I could invite the guy with the DVD player into my trailer! I would have even given him popcorn and beer!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#20 Post by Agatha »

I live in a little pocket of the earth that doesn't have access to cable. So I'm dependent on my Video and DVD collections for entertainment. After my big TV died, I got a smaller one that my VCR doesn't seem to connect to...at least I can't figure it out. So my DVDs (and Netflix) are it for me.

I have all 8 seasons of Magnum...4 Jesse Stones...Thunderheart...Karate Kid and The Russians Are Coming; The Russians Are Coming. Guess what I watch most!! Actually "watch" may not be the correct word. I've played my Magnums so often that I don't really have to watch them anymore. But I usually put one in when I get home from work and it plays most of the evening so that there's another voice in the house...dogs and cats are wonderful company but not the best conversationalists. Having said that, I still sit down and watch a whole episode if I feel like I want to...and if I'm busy but I hear that one of my favorite scenes/interactions is coming up, I can pop into the living room to see it before I get back to whatever I'm doing.

I agree with the folks who say they like the Hawaiian scenery, and to dream. And I find that I miss the characters like I miss real people that I haven't seen for a while. Same with the interactions...sometimes I just need to hear Higgins say "Oh...My...God!"

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#21 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I have a feeling I am going to have the opportunity to watch quite a few episodes this weekend!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#22 Post by N1095A »

I tell ya' I do often pop a disk in just to see a specific scene, like the "pickled egg" scene for example. Kind of gets me thinkin' someone should put together a video of the the funniest scenes. That would be fun to watch.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#23 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Sounds like a great idea Mike. Magnum blowing up the Bridge over the River Kwai would have to be in there for me.

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by Rutledal »

I used to watch one each week day when it went in reruns every afternoon, but then it was canceled (I believe I made a thread about it). Then I started watching it on DVD, before the vacation I watch one episode a day, on DVD. Now I watch maybe one a week, but my vacation is over on Wednesday so maybe I'm back too once a day then.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by 308GTS »

Currently around 3-4 episodes per week all at random as I've just completed watching all seasons in order. Last night it was By It's Cover. Always good to watch the excellent Stuart Margolin.

"I don't care if his name is Tuna"

I may give it a rest once my next Jesse Stone DVD (Thin Ice) arrives.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

REDTAIL
Ensign

#26 Post by REDTAIL »

Hi I am new to the forum & I am a die hard Selleck fan of Magnum PI & all of his movies etc, I watch the reruns every night, on cable, & never get tired of the guys & their antics, Question I have been searching forever for a copy of Magnum's team ring, for purchase, with no luck, as I will not buy or deal with E Bay for my bad experiences with them in the past etc,does anyone have a web site that sells a reproduction copy of that ring, If my memory serves me well I recall that in the 1980's when the show was at it's peak I could of swore that I seen a pendant advertized in some magazine at the time of a replica of a pendant worn on a chain around the neck, but have never seen the ring advertized,So if anyone has a site for the ring I will appreciate it. 8)

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#27 Post by N1095A »

REDTAIL wrote:Hi I am new to the forum & I am a die hard Selleck fan of Magnum PI & all of his movies etc, I watch the reruns every night, on cable, & never get tired of the guys & their antics, Question I have been searching forever for a copy of Magnum's team ring, for purchase, with no luck, as I will not buy or deal with E Bay for my bad experiences with them in the past etc,does anyone have a web site that sells a reproduction copy of that ring, If my memory serves me well I recall that in the 1980's when the show was at it's peak I could of swore that I seen a pendant advertized in some magazine at the time of a replica of a pendant worn on a chain around the neck, but have never seen the ring advertized,So if anyone has a site for the ring I will appreciate it. 8)
Welcome to Magnum-Mania. It's a great site full of information and dedicated, friendly fans of the greatest TV show of all time.
As for your question, there are many copies of the ring available. Unfortunately your issues with Ebay limit your choices. This http://www.artist2.com/mpi.html is the nicest one available, but be prepared. It's gold, and pricey. Last time I checked it was $450. but with the ever changing price of gold, it could be higher now. There is also the ring from http://www.rocknrobbie.com made from the original mould. He has an Ebay store. From what I've heard his rings are quite nice. Again, Welcome, I hope this information is useful.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#28 Post by golfmobile »

Welcome, Redtail, to the best Magnum site on the internet!

I think there are two versions of the ring available. Depending on how much you want to spend . . . .

This one, I think, is not the concave shape of the "true" ring

This one has the better, "truer" shape but its manufacture may not be as refined as the flat-top one.

Good luck! Several people here have them, I believe. I'm sure they can give you recommendations on which one to get.

golf
"Portside, buddy."