Original Theme Song From Season 1

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by MACattack »

I first started watching the series in '82 when they used the newer Mike Post score. When I watched the DVD of the first season, I was shocked to hear the original theme. I think it sounds kinda gay. It's as bad as TM's acting on the Rockford Files. After Selleck started acting on MPI, everything he did was excellent from then on. Its akward to watch anything Selleck did that pre-dates MAGNUM.
I just don't give a damn!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#17 Post by Styles Bitchley »

There is also an extended version of the Mike Post theme song. A buddy of mine played it in my honour at my cousin's wedding (he was the dj)...needless to say it cleared the dance floor. But as it went on, I was thinking, 'wow, this is really, really long'. Anyone else heard this version?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#18 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Styles Bitchley wrote:There is also an extended version of the Mike Post theme song. A buddy of mine played it in my honour at my cousin's wedding (he was the dj)...needless to say it cleared the dance floor. But as it went on, I was thinking, 'wow, this is really, really long'. Anyone else heard this version?
That might be the "End Theme" version that they use in 2-part episodes. It's at least a minute and a half long or longer.

I also like the Post theme better. A few yaers ago, Sleuth did a Pilot episode marathon of about 4 or 5 of the shows they were airing. When I heard the opening theme for Magnum, I thought it sounded awful.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#19 Post by J.J. Walters »

lutherhgillis wrote:I understand that the original theme song won an award and the second and iconic theme song did not. Crazy, huh?
It wasn't an award. The original theme song made it into a "Top 50 TV Theme Songs" list (IGN). It came in at #22. Shocking that the original theme song made it and not the iconic one!

http://music.ign.com/articles/704/704547p3.html
...borderline funk-lite-cum-sweeping instrumental vibe with this instrumental ditty that utilizes plenty of cascading chicka-chicka guitar and swooning strings to create a memorable sonic romp.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by MACattack »

NotATigersFan? What kind of name is that? Most MPI fans also love the Detroit Tigers! I admit I also like the Angels, but I'll never take off my Tigers hat!

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#21 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

MACattack wrote:NotATigersFan? What kind of name is that? Most MPI fans also love the Detroit Tigers! I admit I also like the Angels, but I'll never take off my Tigers hat!
I'm a die-hard member of Red Sox Nation. :wink:

Ironically, when I chose my name, I forgot there was an episode titled "Tigers Fan." :)

Jaybird
Admiral

#22 Post by Jaybird »

What a surprise! I popped in Season 1, episode 12, Thicker Than Blood and the intro was the original version of the one we all associate with MPI.

I think somewhere in You Tube world I pulled this up but really didn't know where or when it happened. They have refined it slightly for
Season 2 onward but it was the unmistakable Magnum PI introduction.

So, from February 26, 1981 onward (the airing date), the old intro was gone. I guess the writers did not like the original intro all that much either and probably by the 9th or 10th episode aired they knew they had a hit. It just needed what is now a classic, all time, musical introduction.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Magnum T. »

I see that the most of you like the Mike Post's theme.
I wonder how many would like it better if the Freebairn-Smith's one had survived for more than the first few episodes.
I mean, the first exposure to MPI for many of us has been with the Post's theme so I think it is an imprinting-like process. And it sounds more familiar too, because it lasted for almost the entire run of the series.

I like them both.
I find the Ian Freebairn-Smith's very elegant (I like jazz) and the Mike Post's full of action and fun.
I could have accepted the IFS theme for the entire series with no problem.
Higgy_baby wrote:Another thing I really like about the old opening (on the pilot at least) is the use of the Cross of Lorraine superimposed over the scenes.
I like it too! It was elegant and mysterious!
Last edited by Magnum T. on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#24 Post by Higgy_baby »

I like both versions as well, and was actually getting into the old theme as I watched the season one DVD set.

Another thing I really like about the old opening (on the pilot at least) is the use of the Cross of Lorraine superimposed over the scenes. I don't know why they dropped it.

I think Magnum T makes a good point on imprinting. Who knows what we would have thought if it lasted longer.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#25 Post by Doc Ibold »

Higgy_baby wrote:I like both versions as well, and was actually getting into the old theme as I watched the season one DVD set.

Another thing I really like about the old opening (on the pilot at least) is the use of the Cross of Lorraine superimposed over the scenes. I don't know why they dropped it.

I think Magnum T makes a good point on imprinting. Who knows what we would have thought if it lasted longer.
I doubt it. The Fairborn-Smith theme was very Seventies and washed out. Makes me feel like I'm sitting in an elevator, or watching some early Doctor show. Had Magnum come along earlier than it did, then maybe it would have been iconic. However, when Magnum DID come upon the scene, the times were changing.

Plus. someone had to make the call mid season to swap the theme song, so obviously all was not well in paradise.

Just my 2 cents

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by MACattack »

The old score would have only worked if MPI had been set during Magnum's NIA years in the 70's. I never even heard the original score until I got the DVD collection. It's because I didn't start watching MPI until '82, when the much better Mike Post track was playing.

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#27 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Jaybird wrote:What a surprise! I popped in Season 1, episode 12, Thicker Than Blood and the intro was the original version of the one we all associate with MPI.

I think somewhere in You Tube world I pulled this up but really didn't know where or when it happened. They have refined it slightly for
Season 2 onward but it was the unmistakable Magnum PI introduction.

So, from February 26, 1981 onward (the airing date), the old intro was gone. I guess the writers did not like the original intro all that much either and probably by the 9th or 10th episode aired they knew they had a hit. It just needed what is now a classic, all time, musical introduction.
I was wondering about when they dropped the original theme. I thought it was something they did for the pilot and then dropped.
Did they change the theme for syndication? When I used to watch Magnum on Sleuth, I don't remember the original theme on eps like "Skin Deep."

Tidewater
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#28 Post by Tidewater »

think the original was used on the opening for the 1st 9, and on the 9th show's ending they used the Post score for the 1st time? i could be wrong as it has been a long time but that's what comes to my mind.

i really liked the extended Pilot version best of all though. yes it was reminiscent of the 70s shows like Quincey i'll grant ya..............but it made/makes "me" feel like, as you are viewing the beautiful scenery offered in the opening video that Hawaii was an ultra cool and very "in" place to be as we moved in the 80s. it offers dramatic sense's that flow with the video of scenery much better than Post version. to me, the original offers a more "country club" feeling versus the Post's version a more Beer/Juke joint feel..............IMHO only!

i like the Post score also, i just feel that it misses the theme of the show whereas the Original NAILED it.

best, Tidewater

O-M-G
Lieutenant

original theme

#29 Post by O-M-G »

count my ballot as liking the first theme...but acknowledging that the show needed to "update" to the post theme to "break out."

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Frodoleader »

I like them both, but the Post theme song is a bit better.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan