What fragrance (or eau de toilette) would Magnum wear?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#16 Post by SelleckLover »

I remember a men's cologne from waaaaay back in the early 1970's called Hai Karate...do you remember that one golf? LOL I think that's what Magnum probably would have used... :D

kudubuck
Lieutenant

#17 Post by kudubuck »

I have two ways of looking at this. First, there's Magnum's sense of class about certin things. Cigars, the Rolex, the team ring and some clothing items are quality clothing. He is surley not a beach bum. With that, I think that TM would wear Lagerfeld or Cool Water. Both are "beachy" scents and I could see him wearing one or the other on special occasions.

However, it is fun to imagine Magnum strolling through Belks and spraying on the first sampler he runs across. Saves pennies and it's the real stuff. Plus there's always a sales girl there to hose you down with whatever's popular that week.

Remeber these?

Hai Karate, British Sterling, Old Spice, English Leather, English Leather Musk, Drakkar, Brut, Chaz?
I'm gonna make it, Dad.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Steve »

Lt. Cook wrote:I think the bottle in the picture may be a bottle of Hawaiian tropic tanning lotion/oil. My mom used it when I was a kid and I remember the bottle had a distinctive squarish hourglass shape. The current bottles are mor normal shapesd, but the label has preserved the hourglass theme.
You know, you may just have something there. I do recall going to Daytona Beach for Spring Break in the early to mid-seventies and almost every lifeguard selling Hawaiian Tropic at poolside and on the beach. As it was a new product it was a brilliant way to introduce it to us fair skinned northerners and brought this new tanning product back with us. And I think you might be right on the shape of the bottle it came in back then.......

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#19 Post by golfmobile »

I really don't see TM using it, but wasn't Paco Rabanne THE man scent of the 1980s?

But I agree with those who think he would use something very basic -- Old Spice, Aqua Velva.

Is it necessary to use an aftershave to treat the shaved area? If not, I think he wouldn't use anything -- maybe something for a special date? But just day-to-day, I think not. I imagine his smelling more like suntan lotion . . . .

golf

P.S. But I could also believe the English Leather and British Sterling possibilities. Standards.
"Portside, buddy."

WingsofCrystal
Ensign

#20 Post by WingsofCrystal »

Hi,
I am going to go with English Leather. It would go well with his shorts.
Wings

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by MACattack »

I would have to say CHAZ because Tom did a commercial for that brand in '78, and he's filmed driving a red Corvette at the end of the Tv spot. How Magnumesque!
I just don't give a damn!