Magnum PI given Hero Award at TV Land Awards

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by lutherhgillis »

It is great to see the guys again. They look great! (in a totally respectful, heterosexual way of course)

Larry was wearing the team ring on his right hand. What a guy!

I would bet you that TS or Roger could still whip Matthew Mc's butt any day! I do not like Matthew very much. He seems kind if whiny. BTW, is he a switch hitter...?

Man, seeing them together brings back memories.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#32 Post by ConchRepublican »

A little nit-picky maybe - T.C. Calvin? The man's name is Theodore Calvin, TC for short.

Oh well . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#33 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Conch, I've seen people call him TC Calvin before. It's not nit picky. You have to wonder what they are thinking. Get the name right!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#34 Post by Doc Ibold »

ConchRepublican wrote:A little nit-picky maybe - T.C. Calvin? The man's name is Theodore Calvin, TC for short.

Oh well . . .
Anybody actually know what T.C.'s middle name IS?

:wink:

It could be something like Theodore Cassius Calvin... we just assume the "C" comes from "Calvin"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

lutherhgillis wrote:BTW, is he a switch hitter...?
What!? LOL! Who knows.... who cares! Luther, you crack me up, man. :)
Doc Ibold wrote:Anybody actually know what T.C.'s middle name IS?
It's never been revealed. "T.C. Calvin" is a flub!

Say, did anybody else notice how long it took the guys to get up on stage? M&M said, "Alright everybody, let's hear it for the heroes of Magnum P.I." (clap, clap). Tom begins to stand up, then sits down, then stands up. He walks over to Larry and Roger (who are clapping while sitting down). Even after seeing Tom standing up and walking to the stage, they still don't stand up. Tom says something to them (probably, "hey guys, we're up!") and they finally stand up! Mass confusion!

BTW, LOVED the MPI montage that they showed! Lots of good clips in there, including TM eating Tanker Moran's strawberry jam! ;)

Ted Danson: "At 6'4, if Tom Selleck walked around and said nothing he would look heroic." :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by lutherhgillis »

James,

I could not resist commenting on how much, shall we say, less masculine McConaughey looks than our heros. That's all. I just think he is too prissy to play our 'big guy' on screen.

Put him is a hawaiian shirt and short shorts and San Francisco will declare a holiday...if you get my drift... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It may take all kinds to make the world go round but Tom Selleck is the only Magnum there will ever be!

Luther
Gumshoe Extraordinaire

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#37 Post by Jeffrey »

Very nice to see them together. Had to laugh about how long they where sitting down untill they realized that they needed to get on stage, haha. The compilation clip was great with John Hillerman en Magnum in the elevator with the great Higgins-laugh.

Hope they will come back on a tv-movie, or big-screen-movie- or even a 'Bring Back...Magnum, P.I.' show.
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#38 Post by J.J. Walters »

It's cool, Luther. That's why I had the smiley face. :)

You don't hold back, that's what I like about you.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#39 Post by N1095A »

To me it seemed McConaughey read through his lines and recited them, but only knew he was reciting a script. I got the feeling he didn't know the show that well. The way he kept saying "Hee-Roes" grated on me. He truly looked to be half the man TS is. Puny next to him really. As I said, I never really had anything against him, but he irritated me on this.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#40 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I watched this last night and thought it was great. Kudos to Tom for giving thanks to veterans. He is a class guy!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by lutherhgillis »

Hey guys and ladies,

I just got this response from Larry Manetti about whether he was wearing the team ring or not in the awards show:
Hi Wally,

Yes I was wearing the ring.
Thanks for watching.

Larry
Is that cool or what! Larry, Tom, Roger and John rock! :D

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Steve »

lutherhgillis wrote:Hey guys and ladies,

I just got this response from Larry Manetti about whether he was wearing the team ring or not in the awards show:
Hi Wally,

Yes I was wearing the ring.
Thanks for watching.

Larry
Is that cool or what! Larry, Tom, Roger and John rock! :D
What a classy gesture. First when he and Roger appeared on Las Vegas with Tom, and now on the awards show......You do rock, Larry!!!!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by MACattack »

I dont have anything against Matthew McConaughey, but he could never fill Tom Selleck's shoes. Plus his only good role was in "Dazed and Confused".

I was surprised to see Tom, Larry and Roger's appearance on stage. I figured it would be like a reunion, with them joking around and stuff. But I suppose they get together now and then. Tom's speech was heartfelt and I could almost see tears in his eyes when he mentioned Vietnam. That poem totally rocked!
I disagree with one thing he said though. Tom IS a Hero! What he has done for veterans is powerful. Plus he is one of my mentors. I believe he was just being modest!

8)
I just don't give a damn!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#44 Post by N1095A »

MACattack wrote:I dont have anything against Matthew McConaughey, but he could never fill Tom Selleck's shoes. Plus his only good role was in "Dazed and Confused".

I was surprised to see Tom, Larry and Roger's appearance on stage. I figured it would be like a reunion, with them joking around and stuff. But I suppose they get together now and then. Tom's speech was heartfelt and I could almost see tears in his eyes when he mentioned Vietnam. That poem totally rocked!
I disagree with one thing he said though. Tom IS a Hero! What he has done for veterans is powerful. Plus he is one of my mentors. I believe he was just being modest!

8)
No true hero ever acknowledges his hero status.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#45 Post by J.J. Walters »

Here is the poem that Selleck read:

If you are able,
save them a place
inside of you
and save one backward glance
when you are leaving
for the places they can
no longer go.

Be not ashamed to say
you loved them,
though you may
or may not have always.
Take what they have left
and what they have taught you
with their dying
and keep it with your own.

And in that time
when men decide and feel safe
to call the war insane,
take one moment to embrace
those gentle heroes
you left behind.

Major Michael Davis O'Donnell
1 January 1970
Dak To, Vietnam

The poem appeared at the end of the 1987 movie Hamburger Hill and parts of it are etched into the NY Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Manhatten.

Major Michael Davis O'Donnell, a true hero.