A "fourth wall" question

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

A "fourth wall" question

#1 Post by Agatha »

Was watching Missing in Action today and it suddenly occurred to me that TC might have been talking to "us".

After TC tunes up the Ferrari and he and Thomas do their "Abbott and Costello" routine concerning the $50 that Thomas owes him for spark plugs, Thomas roars off without paying. Later, in Rick's office...without any indication that he's going to pay the money he owes, Thomas asks to borrow TC's van. TC is clearly floored by Thomas's nervel but then Rick motions him to go ahead so TC tosses Thomas the keys. As Thomas leaves, he says his usual "Thanks. I owe you one." And I swear...TC looks right at the camera and says "Does it ever occur to you that boy can't count past one?"

Is he talking to "us"? Does anyone know of any time when someone other than Thomas talks to "us"? I know I've thought before that sometimes I think Higgins is giving "us" a look but is it even possible for anyone else to do that "fourth wall" thing?

:?
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: A "fourth wall" question

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

Agatha wrote:Was watching Missing in Action today and it suddenly occurred to me that TC might have been talking to "us".

After TC tunes up the Ferrari and he and Thomas do their "Abbott and Costello" routine concerning the $50 that Thomas owes him for spark plugs, Thomas roars off without paying. Later, in Rick's office...without any indication that he's going to pay the money he owes, Thomas asks to borrow TC's van. TC is clearly floored by Thomas's nervel but then Rick motions him to go ahead so TC tosses Thomas the keys. As Thomas leaves, he says his usual "Thanks. I owe you one." And I swear...TC looks right at the camera and says "Does it ever occur to you that boy can't count past one?"

Is he talking to "us"? Does anyone know of any time when someone other than Thomas talks to "us"? I know I've thought before that sometimes I think Higgins is giving "us" a look but is it even possible for anyone else to do that "fourth wall" thing?

:?
Hey Agatha... there have been quite a few 4th wall breakings with TC, Higgins and Magnum. I believe that Carmen has a list somewhere (or has actually taken the time to document them). Its somewhere around the site, I believe, in another thread.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#3 Post by Italian Ice »

viewtopic.php?t=767&highlight=4th+wall

Doc is right Agatha, here's a link to the thread for you if you haven't found it already. It covers a lot.....
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#4 Post by Agatha »

Thanks, guys! It does cover a lot...including a clearer definition of "breaking the fourth wall" and how dedicated CARMEN is!! Wow!

I'm pleased to see that my instinct was correct in Missing In Action. Not pleased to hear that Carmen found less "fourth wall" contacts in later episodes. But I'm sure that I'll SEE more of them from now on...now that I'm more aware. This isn't the first time I've experienced the idea that a person sees something different everytime they see/read/hear something.

I'm off to see if there's a 4th Wall link on the homepage based on Carmen's research...

:)

Carmen
MPI

#5 Post by Carmen »

...so much work, so little time... :wink: but I am working on it
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#6 Post by Agatha »

Can I help, Carmen? I have seasons 1 through 4 and 5 is on the way.

???

:)

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#7 Post by N1095A »

I remember this scene, and you're right. TC does break the fourth wall in this scene. This is one of the things I love about the show. Another one I just saw was in "Texas Lightning" when TM and Higgins are exchanging their banter over borrowing a Tux versus a birthday present. When Higgins mentions that Robin got him something, then walks out of the greenhouse, TM looks at the camera with an expression like he just swallowed a big june bug.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Carmen
MPI

#8 Post by Carmen »

Agatha, I am nearly thru` S3, finished 1 and 2 month ago, but I only counted the "looks", in S3 I wrote down the time or scene more exactely, counted I think S5 and know the most looks in S7 and 8. If you want to do S4, try to watch the episodes on your computer, it is much more easy to write it down -when and -who did it. Have fun!! (in case that was all blablabla to you, pm me :wink: )
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Tidewater
Lieutenant Junior Grade

if you watch the TV series 24.......

#9 Post by Tidewater »

this past Monday's episode had a fantastic chance to make "fourth wall" history across 2 shows................24 & That 70s Show...............as Kurtwood Smith play s a Senator now on 24.....at the end of the show, Jack Bauer had a Golden Opp. to look straight at the camera and deliver Kurtwood's former characters(Red Foreman) famous expression of........"dumbass" .............know it's a serious show and all, but man i bet it was talked on that set! lol