Tips From Tom!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Tips From Tom!

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

You guys gotta check this out. I've never seen or heard about this before, but Selleck apparently made a "gag video" for his pal Robert Urich in 1987. It's entitled "Tips From Tom, or Tom Selleck's Suggestions On How To Keep A Detective Series On The Air For A Really, Really, Really Long Time!". I'm not sure where it originally aired, but it's absolutely hilarious! It was just uploaded to YouTube on 2/18.

Tips From Tom, Part 1* (7:01)

Tips From Tom, Part 2 (6:59)

Tips From Tom, Part 3** (6:34)

:)

Enjoy!

* The first :32 are blank on Part 1
** Selleck is only in the first 1:40 of Part 3
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#2 Post by golfmobile »

That was very entertaining! Unfortunately, it makes Tom Selleck look like a real jerk and Robert Urich (rest his soul!) look like a good sport.

Frankly, I really like "Spenser: For Hire" (with an "S"!!!) because I started reading the books when they first came out and were really good.

But isn't it interesting that NOW TS is playing a Robert B. Parker character in the Jesse Stone movies!!!

Wish Bob Urich were around to do a "Hints to Tom on How to Successfully Portray a RBP Character" video!! Cuts of the humor in SFH as opposed to all the "doom and gloom" in Jesse Stone movies . . . .

JMO

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Miss Q »

Funny story...

Before Spencer and Magnum, when both TS and RU were 'unknowns' they were both in Bunco together in '77.

A reviewer said even together the couldnt pull it off. There was no way either of them were going anywhere in Hollywood and certainly neither of them would have their own show.

I hope he choked on his words....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#4 Post by Tom_Magnum »

This is okay. It's alright, but makes Tom look like a jerk with all those girls around him, but it was still funny. (Esp. the remodified intro). But I did not like it when Tom poked fun at Rob Urich (b/c he tried).

Ah well...The side of Selleck I have never seen

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:Unfortunately, it makes Tom Selleck look like a real jerk...
Really? I didn't get that sense at all. He made this little production for his close friend Robert Urich... in jest. It's comedy. Everything is so "over the top" (the bikini-clad girls, sitting in the Ferrari in the guesthouse set with a towel on your head, etc.), it's obvious the whole thing is not meant to be taken seriously. It's just one guy playfully "razzing" a good buddy. I'm sure Urich got a big kick out of it. Heck, I'm sure Jillie Mack enjoyed it, too!

I also loved the behind-the-scenes bloopers & outtakes that we get to see from Spenser. Good stuff.

The first scene of Part 1 was filmed in a parking lot of the Hawaii Film Studio. Is that the Magnum soundstage (aka "Hawaii Five-O stage") in the background? It looks like it, but I'm not 100% sure.

And the Ferrari in the guesthouse set! How cool is that!

:)
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom_Magnum

#6 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Ya, the Ferrari in the guesthouse was great.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#7 Post by Shermy »

Nice find, James!

I don't see how this reflects poorly on Selleck, either. It's clearly meant to be a joke. But I can't quite decide which character he reminds me of here. Maybe Sebastian Sabre?

Anyway, when is the site going to represent the rest of the show's "20 years"? :lol:

Tom_Magnum

#8 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I'm sorry for being such a blockhead and being hard on Selleck. It was probably meant to be a joke and I didn't really realize it. How dumb of me! I acted the same way Magnum would've!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#9 Post by N1095A »

This is absolutely priceless. Quite the opposite of earlier reactions, I think these clips show what a cool guy TS is. I miss Bob Urich, I think he was a great actor, and a helluva guy. I's a shame that he never got a huge mega hit.

Magnum-"M a g n a m" :lol:
Last edited by N1095A on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#10 Post by Doc Ibold »

I thought it was pretty cool myself!

I liked how every time someone told him how wonderful he was, he always said "thank you"

Tom_Magnum

#11 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Isn't anyone going to respond to what I just said? I made a fool out of myself! I can't believe it. I am sorry, TS.

layne
Vice Admiral

#12 Post by layne »

Tom_Magnum wrote:Isn't anyone going to respond to what I just said? I made a fool out of myself! I can't believe it. I am sorry, TS.
Relax. You didn't make a fool of yourself by giving us your honest first impression. We're here talk about everything Magnum/TS (good or bad). We don't judge here. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion and that's a good thing.

I loved the video. It really made me laugh. I loved Robert Urich and from what I understand Bob and Tom were good friends. I actually think Tom made fun of himself and spoofed MPI a bit in the video along with ribbing Bob about Spenser. I really think we got to see the silly side of TS that we don't get to see much anymore. I feel that was the geniune goofy side of him that the cast and crew got to see probably every day. Jesse Stone needs to lighten up a bit and get some of that TM humor in it.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Shermy wrote:Anyway, when is the site going to represent the rest of the show's "20 years"? :lol:
Quoth the Selleck, "Who knows, who knows... Who cares? The point is..." :lol:

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#14 Post by Italian Ice »

I've never heard of Spenser for Hire before until now.

That was pretty funny! I wish MPI could have gone on for 20 years.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Tom_Magnum

#15 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Ya, Magnum should have been on for 20 years...