How to get away with an Ivan-whacking

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Lt. Cook
Commander

How to get away with an Ivan-whacking

#1 Post by Lt. Cook »

On another thread, someone raised this issue and I thought it deserved a thread of its own.
After TM kills Ivan, what's your theory on how he could have avoided criminal charges?

Artie Canoe
Captain

#2 Post by Artie Canoe »

It was a military operation or maybe Magnum fled the scene and they couldn't tie it to him with lack of evidence..I don't know, nice topic.
"I forgot my loincloth and spear." - Luther H. Gillis

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Frodoleader »

I always kind of thought after the "whacking", TM and Rick split, the case became cold, or the military stepped in (Buck Green?) and it was swept under the rug, for the sake of national security.

maybe...possibly...kind of...
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Miss Q »

I alway thought they never found the body and nobody really cared enough to continue the search
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#5 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'll go with the military took care of it theory.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

He certainly has a lot of resources available to him - the "N.I.A.", Buck Greene, Admiral Hawkes, Starguard, Robin's connections, Higgins' connections, maybe even Jeannie Lowry.

And what did they do about the russian chauffeur? I doubt "paying him off" would have been an option.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Frodoleader »

James J. Walters wrote:He certainly has a lot of resources available to him - the "N.I.A.", Buck Greene, Admiral Hawkes, Starguard, Robin's connections, Higgins' connections, maybe even Jeannie Lowry.

And what did they do about the russian chauffeur? I doubt "paying him off" would have been an option.
Since Rick was with the chauffeur, maybe Icepick lent him some muscle to take care of da problem?!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

Actually, he seemed to get away with a number of killings whether in self defense or not. He was very rarely even "brought in" for questioning or under any investigation for them either. Even the Police go through a thorough investigation when they disscharge their weapons. I also always wondered if a permit to carry a concealed weapon includes tucking it under your shirt in your pants. Gotta love it though, TM bends and breaks Military and civilian law all the time, and poor ol' Rick gets sent to the Pen for a weapons charge...LOL!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#9 Post by N1095A »

The things/s that always struck me were:
1) TM parked the Jimmy within sight of the limo. With it's unusual paint job it would have been easy for the chauffer to describe.

2)Rick used his own car. Complete with license plate, and a visual description, and a description of Rick himself.

3) TM used his own .45, easily traceable with ballistics.

I've often wondered how TM got away with it myself. However he did it, I'm sure an enourmous ammount of luck came into play. But as Higgins said, he has more dumb luck than anyone he [Higgins]knew. Also, I wouldn't doubt that Buck Green knew exactly what happened to Ivan. Even though he and TM were adversaries on so many occasions, I'm thinking Buck helped sweep it under the rug. If for no other reason, he'd want TM to owe him one. I don't know about you, but Buck Green is one man I'd never want to owe.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#10 Post by IslandHopper »

My theory is that Magnum didn’t actually kill Ivan because of the international incident that killing him would create. Magnum does have many connections like Buck Greene, Higgins and Robin, but the State Department would have to be brought into the picture if Ivan was killed…maybe even the President. Remember Ivan was supposed to be a foreign diplomat, or at least that was his cover.

Keep in mind that we only see Magnum shoot in the general direction of Ivan. We don’t see Ivan, and we don’t see where he shoots Ivan, thus, we don‘t see Magnum actually kill Ivan . I believe he only wounds and disables Ivan with a leg shot and then employs his secret weapons. He gives Ivan a little bit of his own medicine…TORTURE :twisted: . Magnum calls in Goldie Morris and Shelly Faraday to nag and annoy Ivan to the brink of insanity and just when he’s had enough (about 6 seconds), Magnum lets Ivan go and Ivan gladly throws himself off a cliff onto the jagged rocks far below. End of Ivan.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#11 Post by N1095A »

Maybe he made him wait in line at the hall of records through one of Ms. Jones' phone calls on his wounded leg. :lol:
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:He gives Ivan a little bit of his own medicine…TORTURE :twisted: . Magnum calls in Goldie Morris and Shelly Faraday to nag and annoy Ivan to the brink of insanity and just when he’s had enough (about 6 seconds), Magnum lets Ivan go and Ivan gladly throws himself off a cliff onto the jagged rocks far below. End of Ivan.
LMAO!! :lol:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#13 Post by Agatha »

I think Thomas did kill Ivan and Admiral Hawkes "took care of it"...and the chauffeur. We KNOW...at least I think we do...that these kinds of things happen and I think Admirial Hawkes would feel that putting Ivan...and the "triggers", like TC, that he created during the Viet Nam war...out of commission was a high priority. Remember the allusion to Sadat's assassination? I think he "used" Thomas to accomplish that because his political/military hands were tied. So, in a very real sense, Thomas was acting on behalf of the military in a matter of "national security." International security, really. And I think Admiral Hawkes would see to it that there were no repercussions for him.

In fact, in a later episode...where the Admiral's son is selling secrets?...it's clear that Thomas and the Admiral are on good terms. I had the sense that the Admiral has a lot of respect for Thomas...maybe even thinks of him as a son. Maybe wishes that his own son were more like Thomas. ???

Just my opinion!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Buck
Captain

Re: How to get away with an Ivan-whacking

#14 Post by Buck »

Lt. Cook wrote:On another thread, someone raised this issue and I thought it deserved a thread of its own.
After TM kills Ivan, what's your theory on how he could have avoided criminal charges?
Icepick. If Rick asked Icepick for help, it would be done.

Jaybird
Admiral

#15 Post by Jaybird »

True to form, we didn't see the bullets hitting Ivan nor did we see "dead Ivan." Maybe they were thinking of bringing him back....kinda like an MPI version of Freddy Kruger! You have to be clever to be a writer because you just never know when you'll need to concoct an episode.

Perhaps Ivan will reappear in a "much hoped for" two hour reunion special where the gang gets back together to refurbish the estate and have a jolly good time. Ivan, who wasn't shot after all, reappears to exact his final revenge. Come on, guys, you writers out there! This would sell!! But please, no Magnum PI reality show where the old cast is forced to live on the estate and pass a challenge or get voted off.