Monk, P.I.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Monk, P.I.

#1 Post by IslandHopper »

I was just watching Elf on USA network and a promo for Monk came on with the Magnum, P.I. theme called Monk, P.I., with similar font for the creidts used in Magnum, P.I., similar intro, etc. It had Monk driving a red convertible mustang, Monk using his finger as a pistol, etc. I wonder if the producers of Monk had to get permission to use the theme music. Is Monk produced by the same folks who produced MPI? I was surprised to surprised to see this. Anyone else see this?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

layne
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by layne »

I got to see part of the promo.

My daughter loves the MPI theme song...it's on my iPod and she listens to it all the time. She came running downstairs all excited yelling at me to turn the TV on because they were playing the MPI theme on a Monk commercial. It was a cute promo with the whole Monk, P.I. thing. It always surprises me to see references to MPI after all these years.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#3 Post by golfmobile »

You can Google it and it will show up several places. However, here it is on youtube:

Monk, P.I.

Most places you find it go on to other promos after it runs, so you can't do a replay of only it.

Pretty clever. I'm sure they had to have permission for THAT one.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

Thanks for posting that link, golf. Very clever indeed!

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#5 Post by rasgards »

Awesome! Not that I watch Monk....but maybe I'll check it out.
Ras G

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#6 Post by N1095A »

I have a slightly different view of the promo than others. I've never seen the show (Monk), but as a strong MPI fan I see it as a bitter-sweet tribute. Yes, they are paying homage to the greatest TV show of all time, but in doing so I feel a little bit slighted. Why after all the YouTube’s, internet, the popularity of the Jesse Stone movies, The appearance of Manetti, Moseley, and Selleck together on Las Vegas, this website, and now the ad for Monk, can't the powers that be come to their senses and give us an original cast movie, if only a made for TV movie. Which by the way, is where MPI belongs. I'm happy that the Monk ad paid tribute to MPI, but as a fiercely loyal MPI fan, I'm extremely upset that we have been deprived of our reunion. I know it's been stated before many times, but I want the original cast, The Anderson Estate, the Ferrari, The helicopter, the Rolex, the Lads, all of it revisited.
Last edited by N1095A on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

SelleckLover

#7 Post by SelleckLover »

N1095A wrote:
...can't the powers that be come to their senses and give us an original cast movie, if only a made for TV movie.
I think we touched on this on another thread. I think that the chances of this happening are pretty much nonexistant. We talked about Mr. Selleck's conservative politics, and how they don't mesh with the politics of Hollywood. Unless you're a flaming liberal and on the "green" wagon, Hollywood does all it can to blackball you. There are a few conservatives in Hollywood that are big stars (Mel Gibson comes to mind here) but for the most part, conservatives have to write and produce their own stuff to even get work, hence all the Jesse Stone stuff. I believe that the only way a Magnum movie would happen is if Mr. Selleck's production company, TWS Productions, ponied up enough $$$ to buy the rights from Universal and produce it himself. But I don't think that is going to happen. He probably earns enough $$$ just doing his voice-overs and infomercials and occasional Jesse Stone movies to get by. Why battle with Universal for the rights to something they probably want an exorbitant amount of money for? I think that I'm just happy I get to see him in quality productions and see him move on with his life. Sorry to disappoint anybody, and dash someone's hopes, but this is just my opinion, and I still hold out hope that maybe someday, by some twist of fate, a Magnum movie will be made! (But I won't hold my breath!)

Tralfaz
Admiral

#8 Post by Tralfaz »

SL,

I have to be honest, part of your post has left a sour taste in my mouth.

T
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Miss Q »

I loved the Monk PI clip.... I caught it live over the weekend.... a great tribute to MPI.....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

SelleckLover

#10 Post by SelleckLover »

Tralfaz wrote:
I have to be honest, part of your post has left a sour taste in my mouth.
Thank you for your honesty, and the above post is really just my opinion, not gospel truth! Like I said, I still hold out some hope that a Magnum Movie/mini series could be a reality. Sorry if I offended you in any way. :(

SL

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I've never seen Monk, but I will have to keep a lookout for this.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MPS »

Thanks for posting the link to the video. My kids watch Monk and made me promise to check it out. Now, I have another reason to see what it's like.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Artie Canoe
Captain

#13 Post by Artie Canoe »

That's an awesome homage to TM
"I forgot my loincloth and spear." - Luther H. Gillis

Private Investigator!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#14 Post by Private Investigator! »

Monk is a really cool and funny show. Anyone that likes murder mysteries should try it out.

I don't want a movie if it's anyone other than Selleck. After having watched Harrison Ford in the latest IJ movie, I'm not sure I want to taint the memory of MPI. Nothing against aging starts but it just ain't the same (and neither am I physically!). I too would prefer a TV type of show or movie, regardless of likelyhood.

Besides that, I hear McConaughey is slated to be TM and my skin crawls at the thought. I am no fan of his and that's all I've got to say about that.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi, Private Investigator! Welcome to Magnum Mania!

Regarding McConaughey, producer Brian Grazer was recently quoted as saying that he was NOT offered the role. So who knows what is going to happen.

LOVE the Monk Magnum-intro! Fantastic. I've only seen Monk a handful of times, but every time I've enjoyed it. Tony Shalhoub is just great.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!