Magnums for every occasion

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Lt. Cook
Commander

Magnums for every occasion

#1 Post by Lt. Cook »

After my dad died, watching "Home from the Sea" was theraputic and somehow comforting, so it has become part of my rememberance on the anniversary of his passing. It also set mewondering if anyone else has a Magnum episode that for them is attached to an occasion or yearly event. For instance "Operation Silent Night" is my "Christmas Magnum." Anyone else got any MPI's that have become special or attached to events/ occasions/ seasons, etc?

Artie Canoe
Captain

#2 Post by Artie Canoe »

That's a very nice story Lt. Cook, and I don't have any associations with episodes yet but I might take your idea of the Christmas Magnum!

DigitalMan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by DigitalMan »

Interesting. Somehow, "Operation: Silent Night" doesn't work for me as well on Christmas Eve as "Thank Heaven for Little Girls...." That has become a yearly Christmas Eve ritual for me.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

No More Mr. Nice Guy always gets me ready for the Army-Navy game!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

"Limbo" had a profound effect on me when I was teenager. It was the first time I ever really thought about my own mortality.

My fear of Macaws comes from "Birdman of Budapest". ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

I gotta say, a new one for me is "Tropical Madness" (even though I've always liked the episode)

It was the end of a night out with a certain lady friend of mine, we get back to my place and are trying to figure out what to do. So, she sees my row of Magnum DVDs and says "Hey, lets watch one of those! You keep calling Dave at work "Higgins" and I want to see why you call him that!"

(Its simply because he's English)

So...jaw drops at the opportunity of a lifetime to show off my not so inner dork, so I head over to the DVD rack and start thinking.

"OK Steve, what's the best Magnum to start her out with?"

(And the entire process was like trying to pick out the right wine)

The pilot episode?

Nahhhh. Too early. Higgins is some crazy dictator, Rick is a bad Bogey, and TC is cast to be some womanizing perv.

Can't go with something from Season 7 or 8.... to much backstory that needs to be explained.

Season 6? Meh..... And all the good ones really don't hit on the theme of the show that I'm trying to get across.

Season 5....Nope.

Ah.... "Home From the Sea".... nope, should keep that one for later. Plus it kinda has a "Bambi" thing to it.

So we're down to Seasons 2 and 3.

So what can I get that shows the right blend of comedy, drama, absurdity and mystery... has an accurate portrayal of the guys... and is a pretty good episode?

The answer is quite clear.... it's simply "Tropical Madness".

So, we pop it in, watch it.

And she LOVED it. (I'm sure the Tom Selleck hanging around in his drawers helped a little bit)

;-)

So, the end of the night was spent watching Magnum and drinking wine in front of a fire.

Needless to say, I had offered her my copy of Season One to check out to get the back story and she refused.... saying she wanted to watch them with me, because she would have questions and wanted me there.

(Cue cheesy 80s sitcom "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW")

So needless to say, I have a newfound appreciation for Tropical Madness.

So, it was a good night... watched the Red Wings win at the Joe (thats how the night began), stood within 4 feet of Gordie Howe (I had to explain to her who he was - she's not originally from the "D") drank wine and watched Magnum.

:D

Yeah... good times! Yes kids, you too can use Magnum P.I. to your advantage on a date.

Lt. Cook
Commander

#7 Post by Lt. Cook »

Great story Doc, that's exactly the type of thing I was thinking when I began the topic. BTW, I was shocked when I went as Magnum for halloween at school (I teach high school) and one of my students, a junior, says, "Are you supposed to be Magnum P.I.?" When I said yes, she told me she loves "Did you see the Sun Rise!" Needless to say, I was a happy man to see that some of the next generation are off to a good start!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Lt. Cook wrote:Great story Doc, that's exactly the type of thing I was thinking when I began the topic. BTW, I was shocked when I went as Magnum for halloween at school (I teach high school) and one of my students, a junior, says, "Are you supposed to be Magnum P.I.?" When I said yes, she told me she loves "Did you see the Sun Rise!" Needless to say, I was a happy man to see that some of the next generation are off to a good start!
No doubt she is probably one of the brighter students :)

Also, great story Doc. That sounds like a great date!

maveriks
Commander

#9 Post by maveriks »

hello guys!
I do not have details of any events related to certain stories magnum from the series 1 to the series number 8.
But i have to say that in many situations to see the stories of magnum were terapeudiche for me.
I have made it possible to:
better appreciate the friends
better appreciate the nature (hawaii)
appreciate better the beer :-)
better appreciate all the things I could do when I was single :-(
And, also appreciate many other things that now I do not come to mind but, but they are really so many!
So i can write that magnum pi is the serial number 1 for me!

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by MPS »

Whenever our entire family gets together, a rarity these days, we break out Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii. Since all 5 of us are Magnum fans, it's fun to talk about how the characters have changed during 8 seasons.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL! Great story Doc! Spreading the gospel of Magnum, even on dates! I love it. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

I was wondering what kind of Wine you suggest to go with an intimate night of viewing Magnum, Doc. That is probably the only way I would ever get my Wife to actually sit down and watch an episode with me (or got to a Blackhawks game for that matter, and she married a Hockey Player from Minnesota darn it!.........LOL!)

HiHo
Commander

#13 Post by HiHo »

Doc Ibold wrote:I gotta say, a new one for me is "Tropical Madness" (even though I've always liked the episode)

It was the end of a night out with a certain lady friend of mine, we get back to my place and are trying to figure out what to do. So, she sees my row of Magnum DVDs and says "Hey, lets watch one of those! You keep calling Dave at work "Higgins" and I want to see why you call him that!"

(Its simply because he's English)

So...jaw drops at the opportunity of a lifetime to show off my not so inner dork, so I head over to the DVD rack and start thinking.

"OK Steve, what's the best Magnum to start her out with?"

(And the entire process was like trying to pick out the right wine)

The pilot episode?

Nahhhh. Too early. Higgins is some crazy dictator, Rick is a bad Bogey, and TC is cast to be some womanizing perv.

Can't go with something from Season 7 or 8.... to much backstory that needs to be explained.

Season 6? Meh..... And all the good ones really don't hit on the theme of the show that I'm trying to get across.

Season 5....Nope.

Ah.... "Home From the Sea".... nope, should keep that one for later. Plus it kinda has a "Bambi" thing to it.

So we're down to Seasons 2 and 3.

So what can I get that shows the right blend of comedy, drama, absurdity and mystery... has an accurate portrayal of the guys... and is a pretty good episode?

The answer is quite clear.... it's simply "Tropical Madness".

So, we pop it in, watch it.

And she LOVED it. (I'm sure the Tom Selleck hanging around in his drawers helped a little bit)

;-)

So, the end of the night was spent watching Magnum and drinking wine in front of a fire.

Needless to say, I had offered her my copy of Season One to check out to get the back story and she refused.... saying she wanted to watch them with me, because she would have questions and wanted me there.

(Cue cheesy 80s sitcom "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW")

So needless to say, I have a newfound appreciation for Tropical Madness.

So, it was a good night... watched the Red Wings win at the Joe (thats how the night began), stood within 4 feet of Gordie Howe (I had to explain to her who he was - she's not originally from the "D") drank wine and watched Magnum.

:D

Yeah... good times! Yes kids, you too can use Magnum P.I. to your advantage on a date.

Tropical Madness is one of my favorites...great ep.

"A midget or a dwarf!!" Cracks me up every time.
"I know what you're thinking..."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Sam »

Steve,
Who did you play for? My son started with mini-mites and played through high school.Tried out for the Vulcans,made it but then quit hockey.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Steve »

I never made it beyond my High School (Richfield) in the early seventies. I was a 3rd and 4th stringer lucky to have even made the team, what with the talent in Minnesota. My line mate was the older brother of Steve Christof that played for the infamous 1980 US Olympic Team. I did play intra-mural at the University of Minnesota, but that doesn't count. I still try and get out every now and then, but shattered my right wrist pretty bad playing in a 4X4 Tournament in 2001. 4X4 was two men and two women (plus Goalie) on a side.....QUIT LAUGHING!