25 Magnum Articles

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

DigitalMan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#16 Post by DigitalMan »

My guess is that he's remembering things incorrectly. He is probably referring to the one hour, "Paniolo" ( ep. 6.8 ).

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

VM02, it has to be "Paniolo". For some reason, the writer referenced it as a two-hour episode.

I've added two more articles (with an additional 20+ more coming soon).

One is from 1985 called "Thighs & Whiskers: The Fascination of Magnum P.I.". It was written by Sandy Flitterman, a 'Women's Studies' professor, and appeared in the British publication Screen. It's a long, scholarly piece on Magnum/Selleck as the "magnum opus of masculinity". It also features a nice review/interpretation of "The Woman on the Beach".

The second one is another Hillerman piece that appeared in People ("The Lean Years Are Over For John Hillerman...", 1983). It features a couple of pictures of the inside of his 10-room "apartment" in Honolulu. We also learn a great story from his youth. He fell in love with Opera at 10 and, starting at age 12, he used to take the train (by himself) to Dallas every year to see The Met!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#18 Post by N1095A »

James J. Walters wrote:The second one is another Hillerman piece that appeared in People ("The Lean Years Are Over For John Hillerman...", 1983). It features a couple of pictures of the inside of his 10-room "apartment" in Honolulu. We also learn a great story from his youth. He fell in love with Opera at 10 and, starting at age 12, he used to take the train (by himself) to Dallas every year to see The Met!
Good Morning James!
I am fascinated by Hillerman. The rest of the cast were reletively unknown prior to MPI, and Mr. Hillerman seems to be the most mysterious of the ccast. He contributed so much with Higgins. Imagine if there were no Higgins. It would have been a different show entirely. I don't know of any other show past or current that had the chemistry the MPI group had. Tuning in back in the day was like sitting down with old familiar friends. It's the same with putting on the DVDs now. I'm feeling nostalgic for those days. Pre cell phone / internet / homeland security. As complex as the 80s were I view those days as simpler times. John Hillerman is firmly seated in those fond memories.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Sam »

Welcome to the board DigitalMan.

DigitalMan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#20 Post by DigitalMan »

Hey, thanks Sam. It looks like James has developed a really great site here, full of all kinds of interesting content!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#21 Post by golfmobile »

I found these to be so much fun to read. And I really got a kick out of the cameraman's article, particularly when I had seen this:

!!!

Plus, "Michael" had sent me the color version of the B&W picture in that same article of the camera guys fighting high tide to film from the tidal pool:

I love this stuff!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

That is such a cool picture golf!

I've added an additional 18 articles which brings the final total to 45. Some of these articles were written by some pretty famous writers/critics, like Janet Dailey, Marvin Kitman and Quentin Crisp (who surprisingly likes the show).

One of the articles mentions that The Equalizer was set to do a crossover with Magnum. Man, I really wish that had happened!

Several of the articles cover the syndication success of the show. Magnum was second only to Cosby in terms of profit from syndication runs. :)

Much thanks again to the person who sent these to me.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#23 Post by N1095A »

James, In a somewhat related note, Back in High School I had a teacher who looked exactly like Edward Woodward. All that was missing was the accent. I wonder if a script was ever written for that crossover.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Steve »

Thanks for posting the addtional articles, James. Browsing through the articles by the critics, in my opinion, Marvin Kitman truly "gets it", and Janet Dailey does not. Actually Mr. Kitman summed up exactly my feelings about the series when it came out and why I didn't watch it until a couple of seasons in. And it was just for the reason he was, by being persuaded to give it a chance by a co-worker.........

DigitalMan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#25 Post by DigitalMan »

Steve, I agree with what you (and Marvin Kitman) just said, completely.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sorry, I spoke too soon. I missed a couple. Two more articles have been added. These are both really good ones. One is a Bellisario interview from 1984 ("Bellisario") and one is a show review from Tom Carson in Village Voice from 1982 ("Magnum's America: 'Nam and Apple Pie").

One of the interesting things mentioned in the Bellisario interview is regarding "Flashback". The credited writer of "Flashback" (Lance Madrid III) is actually a pseudonym for Robert Hamilton! Robert Hamilton wrote many great Magnum episodes ("Tropical Madness", "Mad Buck", "The Elmo Ziller Story" to name a few). Now we know he also wrote "Flashback"!