7.0 (Average at Best) 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 80
 Post subject: Missing in Action (1.9)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:30 pm 
Founding Father

This is the official MM thread for Missing in Action (1.9). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 2/5/1981
Inspired by her recent visions, a new singer at the King Kamehameha Club, hires Magnum to find her fiance, Eric, a Marine listed as Missing In Action. Thomas discovers that Eric was a member of the top-secret 'Delta Section' and is, in fact, still alive. Someone else, however, is searching for him and they are determined to bring him in and keep him quiet, at any cost.

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:41 am 
World Class Private Investigator

Eric is not shot by Magnum. Newton shot him with the rifle, then Magnum shot Newton.

Last edited by N1095A on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:13 am 
Master Flub Spotter

Maybe so, but Magnum sure wasn't in any hurry to check and see if Eric survived. He just let him drown, or presumed that he was dead. I think he just wanted Laura Frazier for himself. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:30 am 
World Class Private Investigator

Not sure why he would want her for himself. If you ask me, she was kind of weird, and not in a good way. She kind of gave me the creeps through the whole ep. The extreme gross-up, uh I mean close-ups of the strings of spittle hanging from her lips didn't help much either.

Last edited by N1095A on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:09 pm 
Founding Father

N1095A wrote:
Eric is not shot by Magnum. Newton shot him with the rifle, then Magnum shot Newton.

Doh! :oops: You are correct.

N1095A wrote:
Not sure why he would want her for himself. If you ask me, she was kind of weird, and not in a good way. She kind of gave me the creeps through the whole ep.

LOL! Yeah, me too! All of sudden she would just stare off into space, with her face twitching, struggling against uncontrollable visions in her head. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:46 pm 
Master Flub Spotter

You've got to admit, she looks pretty good in that bathing suit walking into the tidal pool at Robin's Nest. You maybe able to overlook a little face-twitching for that. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:43 pm 
Fleet Admiral

I liked this episode but it is a strange one! Eric is a Delta member and his leader, Delta 1 (Newton) wants to kill him! Yea, I'm sure the US military does that kind of thing all the time. Next, after finding his long lost love, Laura, at the King Kam club, he splits when seeing Magnum and they have a gun battle or two. Why would Magnum chase after him while shooting? I thought he was trying to find Eric for Laura. Why chase him trying to turn him into .45 caliber swiss cheese? Then the really unbelievable part. Eric gets shot by Newton and falls into the water. Magnum shoots Newton then he and Laura turn away from the dock and totally forget about Eric. I think even a cursory glance in Eric's direction would have been the polite thing to do...

Lutherhgillis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:55 pm 
Founding Father

lutherhgillis wrote:
I liked this episode but it is a strange one! Eric is a Delta member and his leader, Delta 1 (Newton) wants to kill him! Yea, I'm sure the US military does that kind of thing all the time.

It's funny you mention this Luther. I just watched The Bourne Identity (from the Robert Ludlum book) the other night and the plot was very similiar. Only in this story, the covert "soldier" doesn't die (despite the U.S. govt's. best attempts). Since "they" can't kill the rogue soldier, a congressman decides to rub out the CIA "black operator" of the program instead! :shock:

I agree with you, though. There are some very confusing events that take place in this episode!

You gotta feel for the Tobin family. It appears that Eric was subjected to some sort "Mind Control" experiments while with the covert "Delta" group. And poor Laura apparently has uncontrollable clairvoyance powers (ala Magnum) which allows her to see bad things. She can't even belt out a song on the piano without having to fight through these images in her head!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:47 am 
Fleet Admiral

lutherhgillis wrote:
Eric gets shot by Newton and falls into the water. Magnum shoots Newton then he and Laura turn away from the dock and totally forget about Eric. I think even a cursory glance in Eric's direction would have been the polite thing to do...

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

This sort of thing happens all the TIME on television. Somebody gets shot or falls off a balcony or whatever, and the bystanders never even check to see if they're still breathing, let alone call 911.

I guess it's sort of a dramatic shorthand, but it drives me nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:29 pm 
Commander

Some silly stuff here, especially the already mentioned part where Eric falls in the water after he is shot, and nobody cares. Not even his fiance wants to check on him :?

Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me