It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

How Would You Rate This Episode?
10 (Perfect!) 30%  30%  [ 28 ]
9.5 (One of the Best) 46%  46%  [ 43 ]
9.0 (Excellent) 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
8.5 (Very Good) 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
8.0 (Pretty Good) 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
7.5 (Decent) 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 94
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:50 pm 
Resident Clutterbuck

Doc Ibold wrote:
I really should go to the END of threads before I respond, as you pretty much said what I was thinking eeyore!

LOL...I took so long to hit "submit", two posters actually replied before me! How the hell did eeyore beat everyone to the punch? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:19 pm 
Founding Father

Wow, what an episode! It's even better than I remembered it.

You guys pretty much covered all the great things about this powerful episode - the "letters to Lily" narration, the transformation, the great buildup to the climax, and the somewhat surprising "change of heart" finale. Boy, Selleck sure does put on a great performance here. The master of facial expressions, is he.

There is, of course, one other great, great scene - the superb montage sequence set to Genesis' "The Brazilian". I still can't believe they picked this somewhat obscure song. It's awesome!

Shermy wrote:
Anyway, of all the "serious" episodes, this is arguably one of the best. We get a glimpse of just how dangerous Magnum can be, and the kamikaze mission showdown is tense and exciting. But just when you think they've written themselves into a corner, Magnum's final narration to Lily is an ingenious moment of redemption. It also reveals the changes that have occurred since the events of Did You See The Sunrise.

Indeed!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:45 pm 
Admiral

One other thing, when Buck Green returns to his office and finds his desk broken into, he knows Magnum was responsible. He orders the area searched and gives the command to find Magnum and kill him. I don't remember the order to kill in the syndicated version. I was so shocked when I heard that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:20 pm 
Master Flub Spotter

I was shocked by that too eeyore. :shock: I didn't remember that either. Despite the animosity between Buck Greene and Magnum, I always got the sense that Buck really respected Magnum, and for him to give the order to shoot Magnum illustrates the importance and magnitude of the exchange that is to take place. Again, powerful stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:52 pm 
Majordomo of Magnum Mania! & Vulgarian Visigoth

IslandHopper wrote:
I was shocked by that too eeyore. :shock: I didn't remember that either. Despite the animosity between Buck Greene and Magnum, I always got the sense that Buck really respected Magnum, and for him to give the order to shoot Magnum illustrates the importance and magnitude of the exchange that is to take place. Again, powerful stuff.

Hey guys,

I think he knew Magnum was running amok, and was particularly freaked out that Magnum would totally mess this up. Magnum was NOT a man to be reasoned with on that day.

(Although reason finally won out in the end)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:09 pm 
Admiral

I just love this episode, probably my favorite, it is so intense. We get a chance to see in "real" time what Magnum must have been like in Nam when he was focused on a mission. Does anyone think there is another episode where we ever see this deep into Magnum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:28 am 
Master Flub Spotter

eeyore wrote:
Does anyone think there is another episode where we ever see this deep into Magnum?

I'd have to say "Memories Are Forever" would come closest. Magnum was also pretty intense when he confronted Captain Cooley in the pilot episode about Dan's death, but I don't think anything compares to "UB."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:55 pm 
Majordomo of Magnum Mania! & Vulgarian Visigoth

eeyore wrote:
I just love this episode, probably my favorite, it is so intense. We get a chance to see in "real" time what Magnum must have been like in Nam when he was focused on a mission. Does anyone think there is another episode where we ever see this deep into Magnum?

"Deja Vu" was relatively intense in the chase scenes. I don't think that was ALL Geoff St. Clair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:16 pm 
Rear Admiral

Does anyone think that Magnums sparing Quang Ki in this episode ever comes back to haunt him, sometime in his life after season 8?

I can't see QK giving up his desire for revenge, in spite of Col Greene's warning. We've seen that his reach is long enough to have people killed from jail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:10 pm 
Resident Clutterbuck

VM02 wrote:
Does anyone think that Magnums sparing Quang Ki in this episode ever comes back to haunt him, sometime in his life after season 8?

I don't think so, because he got Lily back. This probably wouldn't have happened if he had shot QK, since too many influential people would've wanted him punished. You could almost view the whole thing as some kind of karmic lesson, which is probably how Magnum does. :)

And since QK thought he had already punished Magnum (by killing Lily and Michelle), and defeated him (by winning the trial and escaping), I don't think he would return anymore.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next