7.0 (Average at Best) 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 64
 Post subject: Rapture (6.11)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:54 pm 
Founding Father

This is the official MM thread for Rapture (6.11). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 11/28/1985
Magnum is haunted by a boy from the past when he thinks he sees the murdered child swimming off the coast of Kahuku lagoon.

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:03 pm 
Resident Clutterbuck

Note how the library scene is basically a complete reversal from events a few episodes earlier. In Round and Around, Higgins is upset by Magnum's filing system, and asks, "Haven't you ever heard of the Dewey Decimal System"?

But here, it is Magnum who cannot figure out how the books are arranged. When he suggests that Higgins should use the Dewey Decimal System like everyone else, Higgins implies that the System doesn't work.

Even though this is clearly a lack of continuity on the part of the writers, I prefer to interpret it as classic Higgins. In just a few short episodes, he has not only implemented the Dewey Decimal System, but found it lacking as well. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:36 pm 
Founding Father

Shermy wrote:
Even though this is clearly a lack of continuity on the part of the writers, I prefer to interpret it as classic Higgins. In just a few short episodes, he has not only implemented the Dewey Decimal System, but found it lacking as well. :lol:

Haha! I love it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:53 pm 
Founding Father

I like this episode more than I probably should, mainly because of all the cool dive scenes and references to old aircraft. The ethereal world rears its head again, or is it just "The Rapture" (Nitrogen narcosis)?

This episode also has one of the best Higgins quotes of all-time, IMHO:

Quote:
I have studied Aristotle, Socrates, Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Bertrand Russell. I have toured college campuses debating the virtues of dialectic versus symbolic syllogism. I have written scholarly articles for the need for a new, more dynamic logic. But nothing in my life has prepared me for the workings of the Thomas Magnum mind.

LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:32 pm 
Master Flub Spotter

Shermy, your point about the lack of continuity is well taken. This occurrs in several other episodes as well. I don't remember how early into MPI, or what episode, but we are led to believe that Rick and his sister were orphans, and looked after by Ice Pick, which is the explanation for Rick's affection for Ice Pick. I want to say this was introduced fairly early on in the series. But, in "Jororo Farewell", there is a scene where TC's baseball team is scrimmaging the Jororo team at a local park. Rick is off to the side writing something, as if taking notes on the two teams in preparation for a wager. Magnum comes up to him and remarks to him, about making wagers on a game played by 12 year olds. During his explanation, Rick says that he is writing down a recipe for his "mother." I thought Rick was an orphan? Then in "Death Of The Flowers", there is an elaborate scene depicting Rick and his little sister at their parents' funeral, and in walks Ice Pick and gives young Rick some money and offers future assistance. So Rick and his sister were orphans. There were other references to the fact that Rick was an orphan. In "Distant Relative", Rick describes how he got Wendy into "Mother of Mercy College for Girls" and mentions that Chicago is a tough town to grow up in without any parents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:11 am 
Resident Clutterbuck

There's also the speech Magnum gives Mad Buck Gibson about baseball only lasting a summer, however long that summer is. Magnum says his dad gave him that advice after he was passed over by major league scouts.

Of course, two seasons later, Magnum is still a kid when his dad is killed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:26 am 
Founding Father

Maybe he was referring to Frank Peterson, his step-dad!? Didn't Frank mention something about playing baseball?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:45 pm 
Lieutenant Commander

The dream style eps, normally annoy me, but I did enjoy this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:32 am 
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can't believe that I just saw something that you super MPI guys/gals haven't mentioned seeing before. Usually you see things I don't even see after I've read about it here!

Anyway, the scene with TM in the bar with the husband, the husband has his back to a window. What should pass by in the street but TC's Island Hoppers van.

Yup, I went back and forth, frame by frame, and it's his van!

Just don't tell me that you guys saw it and didn't think it important enough to mention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:31 pm 
World Class Private Investigator

salmon58 wrote:
I can't believe that I just saw something that you super MPI guys/gals haven't mentioned seeing before. Usually you see things I don't even see after I've read about it here!

Anyway, the scene with TM in the bar with the husband, the husband has his back to a window. What should pass by in the street but TC's Island Hoppers van.

Yup, I went back and forth, frame by frame, and it's his van!

Just don't tell me that you guys saw it and didn't think it important enough to mention.

It has been mentioned in the episode notes for this episode.