7.5 (Decent) 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 59
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:43 pm 
Founding Father

This is the official MM thread for All Thieves on Deck (6.15). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 1/30/1986
What begins as a luxury cruise truns into a dangerous adventure when Magnum's assignment is to guard a priceless wooden statuette of a Hawaiian god on it's way to a museum.

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:55 pm 
Resident Clutterbuck

One problem with Season 6 is that the plots were sometimes more convoluted than really necessary. But here the approach works well, and lends the episode a kind of lightweight, Agatha Christie-vibe.

Unfortunately, this whodunit approach is rendered pointless by the decision to show the killer in the opening scene. If the physical clues weren't a dead giveaway, they even reveal his voice!

But overall, this is a fun episode, thanks mainly to a cast of people who were, at the time, familiar faces: Sarah Douglas (Superman II; Conan the Destroyer), Alan Hale, Jr., Thaao Penghlis (Days of Our Lives; Mission: Impossible). Not one of the series' best, but certainly a highlight of Season 6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:08 pm 
Founding Father

Nice review Shermy. Well done. I couldn't agree more.

It's certainly an atypical, light, fun, romp isn't it! It's the Love Boat, but with thieves and murderers, and The Skipper from Gilligan's Island is running around. :shock:

Shermy, you've mentioned a couple of times about how the ending, or denouement, can be so good that it elevates the entire overall opinion of the episode. For me, this episode is another example of that, and may be the best denouement of the entire series! The famous "I Got Him" ending, with TM sipping brandy and smoking a cigar in Higgins' study, while explaining the confusing mystery which just unfolded. (puff cigar) "I Got Him" (smile). Camera turns to reveal he's been talking to the recently injured Apollo. (pet Apollo) "Glad you made it pal". Just an iconic scene, one that only Tom Selleck could make so great. In almost any other actor's hands, this scene just wouldn't be great, or memorable.

"I Got Him"

Interesting anecdote about this episode: The ocean liner that was used for most of the filming of this episode, the SS Constitution, is sitting on the bottom of the pacific ocean. In 1997, it was being towed to an Asian breakers yard, when it began to take on water. They simply cut the line and let it sank, which it finally did almost two weeks later!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:45 am 
Master Location Sleuth

I really enjoy this episode, although I agree that the killer shouldn't have been seen or heard at the start of the show. Hmm, fat handed killer... I'll have to keep an eye out for the rest of a fat body.

TC has good parts. His straightforward line saying "He's a dog" leaves the Captain to awkwardly wonder if Apollo really is a dog or if he's a reprehensible person.
Quote:
Magnum on phone with Higgins: "Oh wait, how's Apollo?... Oh, k, well let me know." [then to TC] "He's scheduled for surgery at 6:00am"

Captain: "This Apollo a friend of yours?"

Magnum: "Kind of."

TC says flatly: "He's a dog."

Short pause while both Magnum and the Captain look at TC.

And we also learn that not only does TC have a love of ballet and singing (anything else? can't remember), he's also an avid reader. Never judge TC by the stains on his work overalls, he is a very cultured person! I can picture when he's off work and Magnum isn't pestering him, he likes to sit outside on his back porch overlooking the valley ("Did You See the Sunrise?") while he devours all sorts of literature.

I was going to say the Danny Frye character reminds me of the Jewish guy from The Hot Rock (great comedy diamond caper movie), but I looked on IMDB and they ARE the same guy - Paul Sand. I enjoyed his low key reaction to being discovered near the end of this episode. "I think I want my lawyer." :)

Fans of The Hot Rock could even imagine that Alan Greenberg (Sand's character from The Hot Rock) is still in the same racket he was in in 1972 when he and others tried to steal a diamond with hilarious results. He's now said goodbye to New York since he's wanted there by the police, and has changed his name to Frye, but he's still a heist man who's either very smart but has terrible luck, or just doesn't quite have what it takes but still has the terrible luck to make matters even worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:49 am 
Fleet Admiral

Watched this episode last night. It was cool to see the Skipper. It also reminded me that Sarah Douglas was always one of my favorites from the '80's. Does anyone remember her work in the sci-fi mini series "V"?
The gum chewing blonde seemed very familaier to me also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:09 am 
Lieutenant

I got curious about Shelley Smith who played Peggy Armbruster. Turns out she quit acting in the 90's and became a family therapist in LA and runs a human egg donor program. www.eggdonation.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:22 pm 
Founding Father

Here's more evidence that I can't find my way out of a paper bag. This is the house where Magnum finds the dead body of Phillipe Dumout....

Magnum enters the house from the ocean side, where we can see Rabbit Island in the background...

... so it's gotta be somewhere in, or near, Waimanalo Beach. Looking up and down the coast of this area in Google Maps, I simply CAN NOT find it! RC, I don't know how you do it, but it's impressive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:52 pm 
Master Flub Spotter

James J. Walters wrote:

... so it's gotta be somewhere in, or near, Waimanalo Beach. Looking up and down the coast of this area in Google Maps, I simply CAN NOT find it! RC, I don't know how you do it, but it's impressive!

James,

Is that Rabbit Island behind those trees in the above photo? The left part of the island is visible and looks very similar to the end of Rabbit Island that looks jagged or "broken off."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:35 am 
Founding Father

Yeah, that's what makes this so pathetic for me. Even with narrowing down the location with an obvious "marker" like Rabbit Island, I still can't find it in Google Maps! I seem to have this problem a lot! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:09 am 
Master Flub Spotter

Duh...Sorry James, I didn't realize you had already mentioned that Rabbit Island was in the background. :oops: