It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

How Would You Rate This Episode?
10 (Perfect!) 18%  18%  [ 17 ]
9.5 (One of the Best) 22%  22%  [ 21 ]
9.0 (Excellent) 30%  30%  [ 28 ]
8.5 (Very Good) 18%  18%  [ 17 ]
8.0 (Pretty Good) 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
7.5 (Decent) 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 94
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:15 pm 
Founding Father

This is the official MM thread for Operation: Silent Night (4.10). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 12/15/1983
Christmas Eve holds some unusual surprises when Magnum, T.C., Rick and Higgins find themselves stranded on a deserted island that the Navy uses for gunnery practice. As a Navy ship looking to do a little artillery work looms on the horizon, will the night end with peace and happiness for all?

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:03 am 
Lieutenant

One of my all time favorite episodes including one of the best quotes in the series by Higgins.

Higgins: I, of course, have spent many a Christmas away from home and family. More times than I care to remember, in more places than I care to remember; Forgotten battlefields, and sometimes even forgotten wars. I think BEING at war, makes Christmas all the more bittersweet - peace on earth, and goodwill to all men, and all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:12 am 
World Class Private Investigator

I seem to have taken an interest in finding "flubs" lately.
Anyway here goes. When the chopper first crashes on the island, TC fixes it quickly by tightening a nut, and replacing a cotter pin. The tail rotor is red with two white stripes at each end. Later while Higgins is making his hat, and Magnum is removing his Santa suit, we see TC working on the chopper, and the tail rotor is white with two red stripes at each end. It appears to alternate between the two color schemes several times through out the ep.
When Magnum is sending his Mayday over the radio, there is a cut to a yacht at sea. That appears to be footage from the movie "The Final Countdown" starring Kirk Douglass, James Farentino (sp), and Martin Sheen.
When TC tries changing the frequency on the radio, the frequency digital display is dark, indicating the radio is turned off, yet we still hear radio transmissions.
When Higgins tells of his plan to sail the wrecked Japanease Zero off the island, TC does a pretty fair impression of Gary Coleman's "Arnold Drummand" from the TV show "Dif'rent Strokes". "Whatchu talkin' 'bout Higgins."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:34 pm 
Founding Father

Hey, great flub spotting N1095A! I've updated the episode guide.

N1095A wrote:
When Magnum is sending his Mayday over the radio, there is a cut to a yacht at sea. That appears to be footage from the movie "The Final Countdown" starring Kirk Douglass, James Farentino (sp), and Martin Sheen.

This one is very interesting. Just out of curiosity, what makes you suspect it is from "The Final Countdown"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:23 pm 

Sorry, Somehow I've double posted.

Last edited by N1095A on Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:36 pm 

N1095A wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:
Hey, great flub spotting N1095A! I've updated the episode guide.

N1095A wrote:

This one is very interesting. Just out of curiosity, what makes you suspect it is from "The Final Countdown"?

My humble apologies! I found a clip of "The Final Countdown" yacht on Youtube, and it's clearly not the same one. It looks similar, but the one in MPI is larger. I should have confirmed my theory before posting.

One other note. The destroyer interior had drop ceiling panels. I've been on many Navy ships, and never saw any with drop ceiling tiles. I suspect those shots were not filmed onboard a ship. Imagine the havoc that falling panels would cause if the ship were attacked. If anyone has Navy experience and can confirn or deny the use of drop ceiling tiles on Navy ships, that would be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:44 am 
Founding Father

No problem N1095A. Thanks for checking into it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:41 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Curious dialogue choice: The commander of the ship says to the ensign, "...a whole generation of fighting men with no real experience..."

Did he forget about Vietnam? This was 1984 which was 10 years after 'nam. That does not constitute a generation.

Also, isn't the ensign a little old to hold such a rank. He appears to be late 30s at the least. Maybe he is in his 40s.

Great episode however. I love how the characters show their human nature and flaws. These were no supermen; they were just good, honest, humble guys with a sense of adventure and loads of character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:01 pm 
Master Flub Spotter

lutherhgillis wrote:
Curious dialogue choice: The commander of the ship says to the ensign, "...a whole generation of fighting men with no real experience..."

Did he forget about Vietnam? This was 1984 which was 10 years after 'nam. That does not constitute a generation.

When he says "no real experience" he may have been referring to the traditional "Battleship Navy" of World War II which engaged in numerous "ship to ship" battles against the Japanese Navy. Although the U.S. Navy played significant roles in the Korean and Vietnam Wars (carrier operations, recon, ground support operations, brown-water navy, etc.) there were no traditional naval battles because neither Korea or Vietnam had much of a navy. World War II proved the importance of the aircraft carrier. The aircraft carrier was so successful it has taken the place of the traditional battleships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:45 pm 
Fleet Admiral

IH:

I agree the commander was probably talking about ship to ship combat but in the dialog with the ensign it sounds like he is disgusted at his shipmen's lack of real fighting. There were several signs of the commander's gung-ho nature and this was probably another one. I guess blowing up fixed targets on the island gave the men a great deal of real fighting experience...

What about the ensign's age. Did you find him to be a little old to be an ensign? Thanks.

LHG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next