7.0 (Average at Best) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 68
 Post subject: On Face Value (4.19)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:24 pm 
Founding Father

This is the official MM thread for On Face Value (4.19). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 3/15/1984
A high-speed car chase between Magnum and some black-market operatives spins wildly out of control when a young woman gets caught in the crossfire. But when he continues to have run-ins with the devious thugs, he begins to wonder if this "innocent victim" might be more than she seems.

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:55 pm 
Fleet Admiral

I never liked this episode and rank it somewhere near 'A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken'. It is fairly solid and I would definitely prefer it to any Simon & Simon or Miami Vice episode.

I bring this up to attempt to make a point. Any Magnum episode is a 'keeper' in my mind due to the general quality of the show. What I mean is this: likeable characters, strong friendships, self-effacing humor, Hawaii, Ferrari, Rich man's estate, tidal pool,... what more does one need to make a show? I would watch Magnum and Higgins sitting in lawn chairs clipping their finger nails...

Luther H Gillis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:32 pm 
Lieutenant Commander

A good episode this one as you can see Magnum has a real sence of guilt for hurting the girl, and I love the fact that Higgins has always been through a similar experience! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:50 pm 
Master Flub Spotter

I liked this episode too. There was a great scene where Magnum is apprehensive, and trying to find a way to ask Higgins if the girl can stay at the estate to convalesce. To his surprise, Higgins agrees immediately and is very gracious.

We also see Magnum babysitting Kioki's nephew at the beach. What was that about? I guess it shows what a good guy Magnum is. As Magnum is building the sand castle Carol comes up behind him and says in a very high pitched voice "can I play too." That scene always reminds me of the Elvis movie "Blue Hawaii" where Elvis returns from the Army and goes swimming with his girlfriend. There is a little kid (3 or 4) who asks if he can play too. I always wondered if the inspiration for Carol's line, and the way she said it was from Blue Hawaii. I bet it is. Has anyone else seen Blue Hawaii and know the scene I am referring to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:30 pm 
Founding Father

IH, I've seen Blue Hawaii, but not in a LONG time. I don't remember the scene, but the IMDB has a quote from that scene that goes like this:

Quote:
Kid on beach: [Seeing Elvis and Blackman kissing on beach] Can I play?
Chad Gates: I think you're a little young for this game.
Kid on beach: If I get a girl can I play with you?

Hehe, pretty funny! :)

This one has always been one of my favorites from Season Four. Selleck, Hillerman and Talia Balsam really deliver some standout performances in this emotionally charged episode. There are some really great scenes involving Selleck/Balsam and Selleck/Hillerman.

I love the themes presented here - accepting responsibility for your actions, knowing when to let go, "getting back into the game", looking deep inside yourself for the true motives of your actions.

Throw in a some good pacing, a great GTO-Ferrari chase, a heavy dose of Carol and a great ending, and you've got one heck of a solid episode!

For those that may be interested, the actress who plays Nurse Wilson (Carrie Kissinger) is a well-known local singer/songwriter. For many, many years she sang with pianist Kit Samson's Sound Advice at the Kahala Hilton's Maile Lounge.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/conniekissinger

I love when the show brings in local artists. :)

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Wed May 14, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:31 pm 
Master Flub Spotter

James J. Walters wrote:
IH, I've seen Blue Hawaii, but not in a LONG time. I don't remember the scene, but the IMDB has a quote from that scene that goes like this:

Quote:
Kid on beach: [Seeing Elvis and Blackman kissing on beach] Can I play?
Chad Gates: I think you're a little young for this game.
Kid on beach: If I get a girl can I play with you?

Hehe, pretty funny! :)

That is the scene I was referring to James.

I thought the car chase with the GTO was one of the best of the series, and the stunt involving the VW Rabbit was very well done. Don't worry James, I won't bring up the stunt involving the plane in "Two Birds Of A Feather." :lol:

There is a flub involving the GTO during the car chase. As Magnum is chasing the GTO the bad guys start shooting at him from their car. Magnum decides to end the chase and as he stops the Ferrari the camera cuts in to a close up of Magnum. Then the camera cuts to the GTO executing a U-turn. As Magnum puts the Ferrari in reverse you can see the GTO in the background just beginning to execute the U-turn that it has already performed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:24 pm 
Fleet Admiral

>> Don't worry James, I won't bring up the stunt involving the plane in "Two Birds Of A Feather."<<

I don't get it either.It only makes sense that the crash wasn't real but it does look like the real deal to me..If anything,when TM is running on the beach the plane as it approaches TM from behind,looks like a model.

[url][/url]Image
:lol:

Last edited by Sam on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:19 pm 
Master Flub Spotter

That's just how I remembered it Sam. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:42 pm 
Founding Father

LOL Sam! Oh no, not him again! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:52 pm 
Founding Father

Another blast from the past, the Little Professor calculator!

Yet another thing that I wished I'd saved from my youth.