It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

How Would You Rate This Episode?
10 (Perfect!) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
9.5 (One of the Best) 13%  13%  [ 11 ]
9.0 (Excellent) 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
8.5 (Very Good) 21%  21%  [ 18 ]
8.0 (Pretty Good) 25%  25%  [ 22 ]
7.5 (Decent) 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 87
 Post subject: Dead Man's Channel (2.2)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:06 pm 
Founding Father

This is the official MM thread for Dead Man's Channel (2.2). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 10/15/1981
Magnum is hired by a young woman to locate her archaeologist father, whose boat was found deserted in the Nihoa Channel. Although locals claim the channel is cursed, Magnum takes on the assignment to find the missing scientist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:59 pm 
Founding Father

This may be my least favorite episode of the entire series. The plot is weak. The pacing is off. There are no memorable scenes or quotes (except for maybe Magnum carrying the goat). Even the great Ina Balin can't save this one!

But hey, it's Magnum right. As I've said before, the worst Magnum episodes are still better than 90% of the stuff on TV! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:21 pm 
Resident Clutterbuck

Two things make this filler episode stand out for me. The first is Higgins' hunt for the infamous "Kudu Buck". The second is the (intentional?) nod to Raiders of the Lost Ark, as a brunette named Marion hires Magnum to find her missing archaeologist father.

On a side note, it also serves as an early version of Season 7's Kapu, as Magnum clashes with traditional Hawaiian culture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:35 pm 
Founding Father

Yeah, the "Kudu Buck" scene is a great, almost surreal, "Higgins moment". Higgins hears "Baa-Baa"-type sounds on the estate grounds and immediately thinks it's a large African antelope (the Greater Kudu) crying out to its doe! Even though he apparently studied the Kudu at close range during a trip to the Zambezi river, he somehow mistook it for a common goat! Not to mention the fact, why on earth would a Kudu Buck be roaming around on the estate lawn?! LOL! Too funny!

See, this kind of thing can only be seen on MPI. You won't see this kind of stuff anywhere else. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:14 am 
Commander

I actually really liked this one. First, it adds to Ts's repetoire of manly pursuits we see, diving. The Kudu Buck is absolutely classic. I thought Marion was beautiful and seems she'd be a great TM girlfirend for future episodes - strong, smart and outdoorsy. Pretty good scenes bet TM and Rick as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:13 pm 
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

I like Marion as well. Very attractive and intelligent woman. Excellent point on making a great girlfriend from TM is they had chosen to explore that avenue in future episodes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:24 pm 
Rear Admiral

This episode has a great scene when TM says he will give up the tennis courts if the goat can stay a little longer. Higgins' expression and delivery of, "But you don't have the tennis courts" is just flat out funny. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:07 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Just watched this one this past weekend. I thought it was a pretty good episode. I liked the Marion character too. According to the IMDB, Wendy Girard (Marion) doesn't do much acting now. Her last credit appears to be around 1999. I liked her though in this episode. Found her attractive and believable.

My 2 cents...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:51 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Even the great Ina Balin can't save this one!

I just saw that Ina Balin passed away in 1990 at the age of 52.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:21 pm 
Lieutenant Commander

Watched this one again and noticed a flub. When TM dives in the channel for the first time searching for treasure, he's wearing his team ring on his left ring finger. However, when he reaches the surface after finding the artifact, the team ring is now on his right ring finger. The underwater scenes and the 'kudubuck' are the highlights of this episode for me. James, I'm a little suprised you dislike this episode so much. IMHO, this one is brilliant compared to some of the stuff in seasons 5 and 6.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next