40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#796 Post by Mark de Croix »

@Ivan, you had to twist the matter so grotesquely to fit your agenda that nothing you said is true. My point about Japan has nothing to do with your claim:
>>Riiiiiight. A couple of Vietnam combat vets talking about which path the
>>Japanese took to attack Pearl in '41 are going to be dissecting whether to
>>use "Japan" or "Japanese".

In the same vein, you dream up another falsity:
>>You're probably one of those who would like to go back and take old
>>films and TV shows and "sanitize" them so that no one's feelings are hurt
>>and everything is hunky-dory.

I'm glad though that you were wise to make it tentative by "probably," revealing that you yourself may have realized the fantasy. I said nothing that warranted your animus; perhaps the closest I can think of is noting your ethnic slur use of "J-p." That's unfortunate especially here because MPI by its location involves so much the Japanese--even today. I am absolutely certain that that slur is never to be found in any MPI show!

Being a newbie, I am unaware if ethnic slurs have been used on this website in the past. Excuse me if the use is customary here; I simply didn't know. Do you normally use them in your own everyday speaking, as well?

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#797 Post by Mark de Croix »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:45 pm
Mark de Croix wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:46 pm Exactly! PCism has exerted an unfortunate stifling of free speech in our colleges and universities as well as in the everyday lives of many. I hope anyone espousing PCism will desist for the good of the community. I'm glad PCism hasn't emerged here but it would be troubling if it did. Good reminder, TQ.
Are you gaslighting us? :lol: :lol: :lol:
TQ, that's a funny question :lol: and maybe it comes from how frequently we hear it used in the politics of today. I'm unsure why or how you come to ask me. I understand that you guys have maybe been together here for years and years. :shock: So it is natural for feelings of an alliance to be felt by you.

I am getting targeted with false accusations when my sole intention is to inject some life here by way of good-natured discussion. In no way is rudeness of these false accusations or innuendos warranted. I hope your original point about PCism was raised in general, how I took it, because nothing I've said manifests it. Someone other than you seems to have a spur in their shoe.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#798 Post by T.Q. »

Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:59 am
TQ, that's a funny question :lol: and maybe it comes from how frequently we hear it used in the politics of today. I'm unsure why or how you come to ask me. I understand that you guys have maybe been together here for years and years. :shock: So it is natural for feelings of an alliance to be felt by you.
Was just an observation (a joke) that you were the one that brought up Japan vs Japanese and then turned around and wholeheartedly agreed we should all avoid judging our favourite 40 yr-old TV show by today's "standards".

That said, in the real world, I could easily make the observation to my Japanese friend in a conversation that "the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor". She wouldn't think twice about this historical fact.

Hope this ends here. We have 40 Anniversary episode coming up. :)

Cheers.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#799 Post by Mark de Croix »

On the surface, I grant you all that but--it completely misses my point. Your description has stripped the context of Hawaii from it. One of the things that has impressed me greatly about MPI is its faithfulness in presenting Hawaii (but there are critics who disagree!!:D ). On this score it is reasonable to track how the scriptwriters do justice to it. How knowledgeable are they?

Using 1980's standards--not today's--in my view they missed an opportunity or were insensitive about social matters on the islands, something new military officers based there received orientation about! True my observation seems a minor detail, something few would notice; just like in observing a painting, I like to see the corner in which the artist signs their name. It's way or lack thereof can be quite revealing, I assure you. Well onto the next MPI episode, happy viewing. :magnum: :magnum:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#800 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:52 am @Ivan, you had to twist the matter so grotesquely to fit your agenda that nothing you said is true. My point about Japan has nothing to do with your claim:

I'm glad though that you were wise to make it tentative by "probably," revealing that you yourself may have realized the fantasy. I said nothing that warranted your animus; perhaps the closest I can think of is noting your ethnic slur use of "J-p." That's unfortunate especially here because MPI by its location involves so much the Japanese--even today. I am absolutely certain that that slur is never to be found in any MPI show!

Being a newbie, I am unaware if ethnic slurs have been used on this website in the past. Excuse me if the use is customary here; I simply didn't know. Do you normally use them in your own everyday speaking, as well?
Just curious, have you ever seen the original Hawaii Five-O? A show that DOES take its location (Hawaii) into account and where the emphasis on the local ethnic mix was front and center all the time. Guess what? It not only used the word "Japs" (multiple times) but also "gooks" (which I learned is an ethnic slur for Koreans) and many others as well. That's simply how people talked. And it certainly wasn't deemed as offensive then as things seem to be now. So what do you say about that show? Should we not watch it? Were the 60s and 70s TV writers insensitive???

Oh, and have you ever watched ALL IN THE FAMILY???? :shock: That one should get your blood pressure shooting up through the roof. Stay away from that one at all costs. Or is that one acceptable because it doesn't involve the sensitivities of the people of Hawaii? :? Your logic eludes me.

Anyway, carry on. No need to derail this thread any further.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#801 Post by Chris109 »

Is there anything nowadays that does NOT offend someone?

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#802 Post by Mark de Croix »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:51 pm
Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:52 am @Ivan, you had to twist the matter so grotesquely to fit your agenda that nothing you said is true. My point about Japan has nothing to do with your claim:

Just curious, have you ever seen the original Hawaii Five-O? A show that DOES take its location (Hawaii) into account and where the emphasis on the local ethnic mix was front and center all the time. Guess what? It not only used the word "Japs" (multiple times) but also "gooks" (which I learned is an ethnic slur for Koreans) and many others as well. That's simply how people talked. And it certainly wasn't deemed as offensive then as things seem to be now. So what do you say about that show? Should we not watch it? Were the 60s and 70s TV writers insensitive???

Oh, and have you ever watched ALL IN THE FAMILY???? :shock: That one should get your blood pressure shooting up through the roof. Stay away from that one at all costs. Or is that one acceptable because it doesn't involve the sensitivities of the people of Hawaii? :? Your logic eludes me.

Anyway, carry on. No need to derail this thread any further.

@Ivan: Jack Lord, main actor, part owner, director and producer of Hawaii Five-O, is reported to have disliked ethnic slurs and fired an Hawaii Five-O actor for his use of same. It was explained that Lord’s growing up in Queens, New York gave him appreciation for ethnic difference:
https://www.rememberingjacklord.com/producer-director
https://www.fiveohomepage.com/phpBB-arc ... 06-03.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_L ... ite_note-4

This TV program began in 1968!! Thus some ethnic slurs could be heard but much much less by 1980 (Lord was not in full control at the start) due undoubtedly to the civil rights movement in the 60s and changing American mores.

Highly educated characters like Thomas Magnum and TC are never to utter ethnic slurs (excepting TC’s reasonable use of “honky” when provoked by his Nazi-like Russian torturer). Magnum and TC, being educated understand that the use of ethnic slurs by a person likely “reflects poor self-esteem.” (https://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/29/nyre ... thnic.html).

Ivan, perhaps you are a WWII veteran or identify as one or had a uncle die fighting Japan in the war? I am sorry if that were the latter. If you were in the Service, I thank you for your service. That background could explain partially your own personal use of racial slurs but does not condone it. You ought also try reading my posts without distorting them. Your claims are without merit and I hope that you will refrain from using racial slurs at this website for sake of good-natured discussion for us all.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#803 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mark de Croix wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:28 am Ivan, perhaps you are a WWII veteran or identify as one or had a uncle die fighting Japan in the war? I am sorry if that were the latter. If you were in the Service, I thank you for your service. That background could explain partially your own personal use of racial slurs but does not condone it. You ought also try reading my posts without distorting them. Your claims are without merit and I hope that you will refrain from using racial slurs at this website for sake of good-natured discussion for us all.
Yes, unfortunately I was swinging in a bamboo cage on the Galapagos Islands and being tortured by Japan. No wait, how could Japan torture me? It's a country. I meant I was tortured by the Japanese. As in individuals, you know. That's how it works. You might need to brush up on your use of the English language. :lol:

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#804 Post by Mark de Croix »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:36 pm
Mark de Croix wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:28 am Ivan, perhaps you are a WWII veteran or identify as one or had a uncle die fighting Japan in the war? I am sorry if that were the latter. If you were in the Service, I thank you for your service. That background could explain partially your own personal use of racial slurs but does not condone it. You ought also try reading my posts without distorting them. Your claims are without merit and I hope that you will refrain from using racial slurs at this website for sake of good-natured discussion for us all.
Yes, unfortunately I was swinging in a bamboo cage on the Galapagos Islands and being tortured by Japan. No wait, how could Japan torture me? It's a country. I meant I was tortured by the Japanese. As in individuals, you know. That's how it works. You might need to brush up on your use of the English language. :lol:
Ivan, do you think it wise to persist as you are doing? Already you've shown yourself not up to the task: You distort my posts to fit your biased views, make false claims about Hawaii-Five-O, flagrantly use racial slurs, and argue that racial slurs are ok because that's how people talk. Yes, people--racist people that is. All this intertwined with illogic that maybe only you dare float publicly. Now yet again you show your ignorance--this time about the English language.

You could have saved yourself much embarrassment by first consulting a dictionary about what "country" means. Let's check an authoritative one--none other than the OED (for you, Oxford English Dictionary). According to the OED, country means "the people of a nation" as with "the whole country took to the streets." Consequently your claim falls flat:
>>how could Japan torture me? It's a country. I meant I was tortured by
>>the Japanese. As in individuals, you know. That's how it works. You might
>>need to brush up on your use of the English language.

Scores of psychological research show that people who use racial slurs about others tend to have low self-esteem or use them as a compensatory way to feel superior over others. Would you be so honest as to consider the possibility for yourself? Getting counseling help could be a big step for you. You might consider it for that and other reasons. If you need someone to talk confidentially, you can PM me and I will listen to you. Peace, brother.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#805 Post by Chris109 »

How about that Aaron Judge guy hitting #62?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#806 Post by T.Q. »

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#807 Post by 308GUY »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:00 am Image
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#808 Post by T.Q. »

October 7th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Season 3 Episode 3
Ki'i's Don't Lie

Guest Stars: Jameson Parker (A.J. Simon), Gerald McRaney (Rick Simon), Morgan Fairchild (Catherine Hailey), Liam Sullivan (Harold Sands), Branscombe Richmond (Gerald Akoa), Gillian Dobb (Mabel), Ron Wood (Attendant)

Magnum's security services for an antique auction are tested by San Diego-based P.I.'s A.J and Rick Simon's task to steal back a Ki'i - which seems to carry a death curse - for its previous owner who feels his declining health will improve if it's returned to its origin.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#809 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:30 pm Image

October 7th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Season 3 Episode 3
Ki'i's Don't Lie

Guest Stars: Jameson Parker (A.J. Simon), Gerald McRaney (Rick Simon), Morgan Fairchild (Catherine Hailey), Liam Sullivan (Harold Sands), Branscombe Richmond (Gerald Akoa), Gillian Dobb (Mabel), Ron Wood (Attendant)

Magnum's security services for an antique auction are tested by San Diego-based P.I.'s A.J and Rick Simon's task to steal back a Ki'i - which seems to carry a death curse - for its previous owner who feels his declining health will improve if it's returned to its origin.
When I first glanced at the picture, and the way this thread has gone, I thought it was the Zuni doll from Trilogy of Terror.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#810 Post by eagle »

I just finished "Did you see the sunrise?" last night. Man, what a powerful episode that is.

Got my VCR set for tonight. :D Ki'i's Don't Lie is an episode that I like -- I always liked Simon & Simon, and the crossover is fun. I will be watching both episodes in this two-part crossover, not the syndicated Magnum-only version.