The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2911 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:30 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:05 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:23 pm
He's such a hypocrite!! Typical politician. Better than the "unwashed" masses. :roll:
There are no outdoor mask mandates in Hawaii currently. Any work indoors requires one, however. You forgot that he scowled in the photo… unbelievable that he scowled. How could he!!! The political pile on is sad.
So why are the construction workers wearing masks OUTSIDE?????
I don’t know why… and neither do you. You assume you know and cry hypocrisy based on knowledge you don’t have.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#2912 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:54 pm
He's such a hypocrite!! Typical politician. Better than the "unwashed" masses. :roll:
There are no outdoor mask mandates in Hawaii currently. Any work indoors requires one, however. You forgot that he scowled in the photo… unbelievable that he scowled. How could he!!! The political pile on is sad.
I don’t know why… and neither do you. You assume you know and cry hypocrisy based on knowledge you don’t have.
But what I DO know is that I see a picture of our former president standing OUTSIDE next to workers who are also OUTSIDE. They have masks on, he doesn't. So either he needs to put his mask on (because he's "endangering" them) or they should take theirs off (because they're OUTSIDE and therefore don't need to have them on). But it seems to me like they're keeping them on because it's the president and he needs to be "protected". :roll: What he should have done is led by example. Since his party is the pro-mask party he should probably put it on if he's in the presence of others wearing it. Instead he's scowling at them for taking 16 minutes for their 15-minute break! Ok, I made up the last part. :lol:

Pahonu

#2913 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:22 pm
But what I DO know is that I see a picture of our former president standing OUTSIDE next to workers who are also OUTSIDE. They have masks on, he doesn't. So either he needs to put his mask on (because he's "endangering" them) or they should take theirs off (because they're OUTSIDE and therefore don't need to have them on). But it seems to me like they're keeping them on because it's the president and he needs to be "protected". :roll: What he should have done is led by example. Since his party is the pro-mask party he should probably put it on if he's in the presence of others wearing it. Instead he's scowling at them for taking 16 minutes for their 15-minute break! Ok, I made up the last part. :lol:
No need for all caps. I understand the difference between inside and outside, and I see plenty of people still wearing masks outside though it’s not required. That’s their choice. I don’t usually do so, but I do indoors, especially around my 30-student classes that have been 1/4 to 1/3 out sick with Covid in the last month. Sometimes I run around the corner outside to the bathroom and don’t take my mask off because of the large crowd. I could but choose not too. I see some students and staff do the same.

You wrote that it seems to you that they should take them off outside because you would. Not everyone agrees with that. You’re making an assumption, just as I said. You further argue that he should wear it if others do outside. Is this a personal choice of yours, because it’s not in any requirements I’m aware of? I see many people not wear a mask outside while with others, and some who choose to. It seems you want everyone to follow your personal opinions about mask wearing whether it is policy or not. That’s definitely not your choice.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#2914 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:08 pm

No need for all caps. I understand the difference between inside and outside, and I see plenty of people still wearing masks outside though it’s not required. That’s their choice. I don’t usually do so, but I do indoors, especially around my 30-student classes that have been 1/4 to 1/3 out sick with Covid in the last month. Sometimes I run around the corner outside to the bathroom and don’t take my mask off because of the large crowd. I could but choose not too. I see some students and staff do the same.

You wrote that it seems to you that they should take them off outside because you would. Not everyone agrees with that. You’re making an assumption, just as I said. You further argue that he should wear it if others do outside. Is this a personal choice of yours, because it’s not in any requirements I’m aware of? I see many people not wear a mask outside while with others, and some who choose to. It seems you want everyone to follow your personal opinions about mask wearing whether it is policy or not. That’s definitely not your choice.
I just think it's hypocritical that the party who always tells others what to do typically don't do those things themselves. Remember Pelosi sneaking out to get her hair done at a salon while telling others to not go out and to stay indoors??? Double standards all the way! I bet if Obama entered an establishment where masks were REQUIRED and he wasn't wearing one no one would even dare tell him to put one on. Well, if you're the former president....

Pahonu

#2915 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:05 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:08 pm

I just think it's hypocritical that the party who always tells others what to do typically don't do those things themselves. Remember Pelosi sneaking out to get her hair done at a salon while telling others to not go out and to stay indoors??? Double standards all the way! I bet if Obama entered an establishment where masks were REQUIRED and he wasn't wearing one no one would even dare tell him to put one on. Well, if you're the former president....
So in this example, if Obama is not violating local regulations by not wearing a mask outside, you’re saying it’s hypocritical because his party has said to follow local mask regulations which in the past have required outdoor masking in that location but currently don’t? That makes no sense. I think you’re oversimplifying the idea of following current regulations with simply masking at all times. The Democratic party has largely followed the best available advice of epidemiologists and experts in the field, rather than an internet or social media source lacking any expertise… or people’s personal opinions. The mask requirements have changed continually because the virus has mutated continually. Remember, scientists knew next to nothing about this virus as it first spread around the globe. As knowledge was gained, recommendations were altered to reflect that.

There will always be examples of those violating the rules they impose. I’m thinking of pedophile priests or conservative family values politicians engaging in gay sex secretively. I just heard this morning about a nun/principal at a parochial school who, after taking a vow of poverty, was just indicted for embezzling over $800K from the school and gambling with it in Las Vegas! I actually laughed out loud on my commute when I heard it. Luckily these are the exceptions rather than the norm, and so are newsworthy.

The circumstances we are discussing just aren’t an example of such rules violations, even if it upsets you to see it.

Capa150
Lieutenant Commander

#2916 Post by Capa150 »

Fox News has always been kind of a joke news source tho.

Tobi
Captain

#2917 Post by Tobi »

This thread is derailing rather rapidly from the subject matter, the estate...

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#2918 Post by T.Q. »

Tobi wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:50 am This thread is derailing rather rapidly from the subject matter, the estate...
I was going to suggest Conch move it or just delete them.

Someone making a political comment or joke always snowballs into pages which is a shame.

The odd political comment can just be ignored but it never is. It is possible.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu

#2919 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:17 pm
Tobi wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:50 am This thread is derailing rather rapidly from the subject matter, the estate...
I was going to suggest Conch move it or just delete them.

Someone making a political comment or joke always snowballs into pages which is a shame.

The odd political comment can just be ignored but it never is. It is possible.
It also possible not to make the odd political comment in the first place. Expecting others to ignore it seems to imply you want the right to comment without others doing the same.

Your comment above is part of the very snowball you criticize. I think it was George Carlin who used to joke about people complaining about sitting around stuck in traffic. The only way the complainer can reduce traffic is not be part of the traffic, but they never see it that way. I should be here and not you is their view.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#2920 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:47 pm
It also possible not to make the odd political comment in the first place. Expecting others to ignore it seems to imply you want the right to comment without others doing the same.

Your comment above is part of the very snowball you criticize. I think it was George Carlin who used to joke about people complaining about sitting around stuck in traffic. The only way the complainer can reduce traffic is not be part of the traffic, but they never see it that way. I should be here and not you is their view.
Ah, yes.

Self-censorship over a political joke.

They are hypocrites. Period.

The only reason it became 3 pages was because it was about "your side".

You must see it deep down.

Flee the coasts, sea-levels rising!!! ... Buys multiple ocean-front estates.

Anyways, I like you a lot Pahonu.

No more arguing from me. <3
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu

#2921 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:24 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:47 pm

Ah, yes.

Self-censorship over a political joke.

They are hypocrites. Period.

The only reason it became 3 pages was because it was about "your side".

You must see it deep down.

Flee the coasts, sea-levels rising!!! ... Buys multiple ocean-front estates.

Anyways, I like you a lot Pahonu.

No more arguing from me. <3
I’m not asking for any censorship, self or otherwise. I enjoy debating political topics. I was responding to the criticisms of the thread becoming too political. I have no problem with that. If anyone would like to make a comment of a political nature, that’s okay with me, and I would love to discuss such things. My point was with those who make such political comments and then complain that the thread is too political when responses are made. There can be no argument if one side truly doesn’t want to engage. I very much enjoy the conversations with you and Ivan. I have to say that I am now very intrigued by Ivan being Ukrainian given the current circumstances in the region. My parents, like you were Canadian, but our ancestors are largely Irish with some English and Scottish. I was the first generation born in the US.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#2922 Post by NotthatRick »

I ran into a couple of recent vids on YouTube this morning and I thought they would be of interest here. Not being much of a computer guy I can't upload the videos, but go over to YouTube and punch in aloha poppet. This individual has a dozen or more vids on there. Two or three of them are recent ones of the estate. Or what used to be the estate. :(

MikeS
Admiral

#2923 Post by MikeS »

NotthatRick wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:29 pm <>snip<>
but go over to YouTube and punch in aloha poppet. This individual has a dozen or more vids on there. Two or three of them are recent ones of the estate. Or what used to be the estate. :(
Aloha Poppet Videos -> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPXHZM ... CZA/videos
MikeS

Pahonu

#2924 Post by Pahonu »

MikeS wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:51 pm
NotthatRick wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:29 pm <>snip<>
but go over to YouTube and punch in aloha poppet. This individual has a dozen or more vids on there. Two or three of them are recent ones of the estate. Or what used to be the estate. :(
Aloha Poppet Videos -> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPXHZM ... CZA/videos
Thank you both very much! I saw some interesting changes.

The boat house seems to have new stucco and some other repairs.

The sea walls left of the beach entrance don’t seem any higher but the lower “seating” ledge TM used so often is gone.

The beach entrance seems to remain but the boathouse entrance is gone and now has much higher walls. That’s what the EIR showed as the plan.

The highway side of the estate has moved the entrance gate to the center of the property as was in the plans but the lava rock wall is much lower and there is chain link and plantings closer to the road.

I’m sure others will notice more changes.

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#2925 Post by robicurp »

Just found a recent video of the nearly completed Obama estate at Pahonu. For me, the best thing about the video are some views of the restored Magnum Guest house/boat house. I'm happy to see it was preserved relatively unchanged from the outside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqemKGPQOdE