Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#256 Post by eagle »

To The Regiment wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:56 amI'm definitely not an expert on Chronosports by any means, but I don't believe the bracelet that's shown on that particular eBay Chronosport is original. Matter of fact, zoom in on the back of it and you can see that it's a cheap, aftermarket Speidel bracelet.

However, this Chronosport matches the same time period of Magnum's watch because it has only the "Quartz" on the dial, not "Sea Quartz." There are far fewer "Quartz" on the dial models out there. They were made for a shorter period of time, from what I understand.

But here's the kicker -- the movement does not match Magnum's Chronosport. Look closely at screen captures and you'll see that Magnum's watch had the black day/date. This one has a white day/date.
Yeah, something seemed off to me about that one too.

For mine, tracking shows my favorite words: "On vehicle for delivery." Can you sense my excitement? :D :magnum: :magnum: :magnum:

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#257 Post by To The Regiment »

eagle wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:47 pm
To The Regiment wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:56 amI'm definitely not an expert on Chronosports by any means, but I don't believe the bracelet that's shown on that particular eBay Chronosport is original. Matter of fact, zoom in on the back of it and you can see that it's a cheap, aftermarket Speidel bracelet.

However, this Chronosport matches the same time period of Magnum's watch because it has only the "Quartz" on the dial, not "Sea Quartz." There are far fewer "Quartz" on the dial models out there. They were made for a shorter period of time, from what I understand.

But here's the kicker -- the movement does not match Magnum's Chronosport. Look closely at screen captures and you'll see that Magnum's watch had the black day/date. This one has a white day/date.
Yeah, something seemed off to me about that one too.

For mine, tracking shows my favorite words: "On vehicle for delivery." Can you sense my excitement? :D :magnum: :magnum: :magnum:
Congrats, again. We look forward to seeing photos!

Best,
To The Regiment

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#258 Post by eagle »

Well, it has arrived! And, as I'm looking at it, I realize that I have no idea how to set the time/day/date on this thing! I need to find a manual posthaste.

This unit has definitely been used, but I don't think it looks horrible, and I don't regret this purchase one bit.

And, wow, check out that lume! Pretty awesome for a 38-year-old watch (I have the original purchase paperwork) that was last serviced 30 years ago.

I'll scan in or take pics of the paperwork, after I work out how to hide personal data.

Last edited by eagle on Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#259 Post by To The Regiment »

It looks great! Consider that previous use as "patina." Congrats!

To The Regiment

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#260 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eagle wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:52 pm

I helped you with those links here. Looks fantastic!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#261 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I'm thinking that the dial and hands were probably relumed at some point. Tritum half life is about 12 years, so if it were lumed in 1980, it would have faded by half in 1992; 1/4 by 2004; 1/8 by 2016; etc. Could have been a potent batch though!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#262 Post by eagle »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:01 pmI helped you with those links here. Looks fantastic!
Thanks for fixing the links - now I see what I did wrong. I could swear I previewed it before I posted, and they were working for me. Anyway, nice that they're posted now.

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#263 Post by To The Regiment »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:08 pm I'm thinking that the dial and hands were probably relumed at some point. Tritum half life is about 12 years, so if it were lumed in 1980, it would have faded by half in 1992; 1/4 by 2004; 1/8 by 2016; etc. Could have been a potent batch though!
Lumes for days. The bezel is really bright, too. Impressive.

Best,
To The Regiment

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#264 Post by To The Regiment »

For the ladies...the women's version of the Chronosport Sea Quartz: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203612204217?h ... SwwzthR3Q9

Best,
To The Regiment

Tobi
Captain

#265 Post by Tobi »

eagle wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:52 pm Well, it has arrived!
Congratulations - wear it in good health!
:higgins:

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#266 Post by To The Regiment »

eagle wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:52 pm Well, it has arrived! And, as I'm looking at it, I realize that I have no idea how to set the time/day/date on this thing! I need to find a manual posthaste.
Eagle, please share a review/progress report. Did you learn how to set the time/day/date? How's your Chronosport performing after a few days? Has it become a daily wearer? What does the lug to lug width measure?

Best,
To The Regiment

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#267 Post by eagle »

To The Regiment wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:23 pm Eagle, please share a review/progress report. Did you learn how to set the time/day/date? How's your Chronosport performing after a few days? Has it become a daily wearer? What does the lug to lug width measure?
Hey. I will be sharing a lot at watches.unixdude.net. The quick version is that some of the paperwork I had was the manual. I have scanned all the paperwork I received -- all of the original papers from the original owner (I am the second owner) -- and will be posting those scans.

I wore it every day for the first week, and am alternating it now with my Steinhart so that the Steinhart doesn't run out of reserve power.

I'll post pics of this next to my Steinhart, too.

I am loving this watch.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#268 Post by eagle »

Wow, check this one out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234210144283

Almost exactly right, but the day/date color is backwards. But wow, $3500.

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#269 Post by To The Regiment »

If anyone is willing to spend $3,500 on a Chronosport, there's a clean one now on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234210144283?h ... Swfg9hVPhA. The seller claims "we have THE CORRECT model as worn by Tom Selleck in the show Magnum, P.I.", but that's not 100% accurate. TM's actually had the black day/date function. This one has a white day/date. Still...it does look nice. But $3,500 nice?

Best,
To The Regiment

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#270 Post by To The Regiment »

eagle wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:20 pm Wow, check this one out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234210144283

Almost exactly right, but the day/date color is backwards. But wow, $3500.
Ah...you beat me to it, lol. I just shared a post about that one before I saw your post. It's a nice one for sure.

Best,
To The Regiment