Little Voice: 1
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 8
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/425125838

Potential magnumania usernames: Francois Fournier, Capt. Nigel Thornberry

Not a great fan of this episode, the plutonium and the out of place Stooges routine at the end take the shine off for me. Plus as others have mentioned, the hospital dialogue is stilted and dull. It always makes me laugh out loud when I hear "Gerald" say "they shot my brother down." He really should have sang that line, with a little psychedelic guitar riff behind it.

Wouldn't it be darker at 90 feet?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Under World (5.5)

#62 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote:
Wouldn't it be darker at 90 feet?
The light level would depend totally on the conditions like water clarity and sun intensity. I can say that at that depth the colors change significantly and you see mostly blues and greens. Reds and oranges pretty much disappear.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#63 Post by nha trang »

Watched the episode again today, I still really like it! 8.5 but with a desire to be a 9 but not quite. It is a touching TC centric episode with the gang working in harmony. Regarding the plot holes, to me Magnum is art and as such doesn't always have to have internal consistency, and like with this episode, sometimes conflicts in the plot or acting that is a bit off impart an enjoyable dream like surrealism to an episode and a sense of timelessness.

And there is something special about this episode that I can't quite put my finger on at this late hour.

That reminds me of the paranormal elements in season 1 Missing in Action. Mag always had that supernatural element to it that was one of the additional elements the show brought that made it a classic to this day, compared with shows like night rider, simon & simon or airwolf...

Quite a pleasant trip down memory lane to a simpler time! Love the production quality of the underwater scenes and the underworld musical score!

Nha Trang

Victor DiGorgio
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#64 Post by Victor DiGorgio »

Doc Ibold does everything! Just a couple episodes ago he was making house calls checking on Magnum's mental state. Here he is taking care of TC while he's in a coma(making it sound like he was also there in the emergency room when he was admitted). Performing the surgery to remove the bullet from Higgins and then taking care of him post surgery. And finally in charge of releasing the patients as well.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Victor DiGorgio wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:00 pm Doc Ibold does everything! Just a couple episodes ago he was making house calls checking on Magnum's mental state. Here he is taking care of TC while he's in a coma(making it sound like he was also there in the emergency room when he was admitted). Performing the surgery to remove the bullet from Higgins and then taking care of him post surgery. And finally in charge of releasing the patients as well.
Yes, I was always annoyed about this. Is Hawaii so short on doctors? Would somebody who works in Emergency also do house calls and enforce quarantines? I think he was in Emergency when Magnum came in at least three times. What are the odds? You'd think he was extremely busy, but no, he has time to talk meaningless nonsense about classic books in Higgins office. He also has time to go on a treasure hunt.

NickyFlippers
Ensign

#66 Post by NickyFlippers »

I just finished this one and it is an absolute whirlwind of events. I just want to comment on the prevalence of Dr. Ibold in the last few episodes. My interpretation is that he got some laughs because of his horrible bedside manner and maybe the writers/producers wanted more of him. I actually said to myself, "hey, that doctor is back again" and sure enough he ends up bringing up another gross story about some other patients or procedures he's done in the past. And Magnum is always like, "doc, wtf man."

Anyway, I'm probably wrong, but that was my gut reaction to his recent appearances.