A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: A Full Inventory of Thomas Magnum's Shirts

#31 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #9 (Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)
Merona navy blue rugby/sweatshirt with concealed side pockets.

Another appearance of the Merona odd shirt, but this time in navy blue. I'm pretty sure this one also has the concealed side pockets, but it's not easy to see.
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#32 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:I’ve spent countless hours over the years trying to find the shirt from the start of ‘The Kona Winds’. I’ve never figured out how to post a photo here.

http://magnum-mania.com/images/6_4_full.jpg
Jumpin' the gun a bit there, Father. But as a member of the clergy, I'll allow it. :P

Thanks for putting that up sir :wink:
Faith and Begorrah!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:
Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:I’ve spent countless hours over the years trying to find the shirt from the start of ‘The Kona Winds’. I’ve never figured out how to post a photo here.

http://magnum-mania.com/images/6_4_full.jpg
Jumpin' the gun a bit there, Father. But as a member of the clergy, I'll allow it. :P

Thanks for putting that up sir :wink:
I remember back in 2018 Little Garwood mentioned also wanting this shirt http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... nds#p56360 Ever since then it's been on my radar and I noticed that TM wears it in a lot of episodes.

Styles Bitchley

#34 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #10 (Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)
Tight-fitting short-sleeved maroon rugby shirt.

Here's another fitted rugby shirt with a long set of buttons. This looks to be exactly the same as Shirt #5, but in maroon.
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#35 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #11 (Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)
Military-style long sleeved shirt with epaulettes and arm pocket in blue.

Once again, like Shirt #4, Magnum makes an unusual fashion statement by wearing an unbuttoned button-down shirt over a short sleeved collared shirt. This time the shirt is blue and, while it is similar to the khaki one with epaulettes worn in the pilot, it also has a pocket on the left arm.
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- J.Q.H.

Only looking 2

#36 Post by Only looking 2 »

Loving this thread, cannot appreciate the amount of attention or homework and time spent tracking all this stuff down. Look forward to Future post

Styles Bitchley

#37 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #12 (Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)
Navy blue v-neck light-weight sweater.

For most of the second half of this episode, Magnum sports the jungle bird (and one of the kids actually wears what looks like a kids' version of it!). But in the denouement, we can see him wearing a dark navy blue v-neck sweater. This shouldn't be hard for anyone to find, but the neck on Magnum's is tighter than a lot of v-necks, and I think it looks better--especially if you're going to wear it without another shirt underneath (which it looks like he's doing). This one looks pretty similar, although maybe not dark enough.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#38 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #13 (No Need to Know (1.5))
Paradise Found "Star Orchid" aloha shirt in black.

In No Need to Know, we see some familiar shirts from the pilot, including the navy Lacoste and the khaki military shirt (#4) - maybe this was filmed just after Don't Eat the Snow? Later in the episode we get a first glimpse at what would become another fan favourite, the Black Star Orchid. Fortunately, Paradise Found is still producing these ones (unlike the green variant).

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#39 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #14 (No Need to Know (1.5))
Tuxedo shirt with narrow pleated front, black studs, and french cuffs.

Okay, so this one doesn't really count, but it's fun to see Magnum juxtapose formal dinner jacket attire with blue jeans.
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#40 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #15 (No Need to Know (1.5))
V-neck twisted cable knit sweater in beige.

Of course, Magnum wears it without a shirt underneath. This could very well be a light shade of yellow. It's hard to tell if the tinting is just my screen.
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#41 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Shirt #16 (No Need to Know (1.5))
WWII US Army issue style undershirt in olive green.

First appearance of another bit of classic Magnum wardrobe. Forum members did some sleuthing back in 2008 and Lt. Cook discovered that the unusual cut of this shirt is just like those issued to US Army soldiers in WWII. The company WWII Impressions still sells these, however the arm holes do seem a bit looser than the one Magnum wears. This may be just because he wears a very tight version of it.

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#42 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Shirt #15 (No Need to Know (1.5))
WWII US Army issue style undershirt in olive green.

First appearance of another bit of classic Magnum wardrobe. Forum members did some sleuthing back in 2008 and Lt. Cook discovered that the unusual cut of this shirt is just like those issued to US Army soldiers in WWII. The company WWII Impressions still sells these, however the arm holes do seem a bit looser than the one Magnum wears. This may be just because he wears a very tight version of it.
Great analysis Styles! I agree about the armholes being high because he’s wearing it tight. I also think it is caused partly by Selleck having wide shoulders. I also have quite wide shoulders. You would regret sitting next to me on a plane or at the theater. My wife once pointed out to me years ago that the tank tops I often wear to the gym were tight at my chest and looked funny. The rest hung down loose below that. I ordered a size larger and it was looser at my chest but I could pull all the extra fabric a foot or more out from my stomach. I have a little more of a stomach now so it’s less of a problem! :lol:

Styles Bitchley

#43 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:I have a little more of a stomach now so it’s less of a problem! :lol:
lol. Don’t we all.

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#44 Post by Pahonu »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:Now that brings us to Shirt #6 (China Doll (1.3))
A light aloha shirt with some sort of flora...anyone have any ideas? Perhaps a lost Paradise Found print?
Great thread! This is my white whale . . . I have contacted many shirt makers in the islands with a picture trying to track down this shirt to no avail.
You get a good close-up of this shirt in Mad Buck Gibson. It’s in the scene right after Buck “makes the wall famous” by shooting it, when Higgins comes to investigate.

Styles Bitchley

#45 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:You get a good close-up of this shirt in Mad Buck Gibson. It’s in the scene right after Buck “makes the wall famous” by shooting it, when Higgins comes to investigate.
Right you are, Pahonu!

- J.Q.H.