The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#106 Post by Steve »

Sorry, one of these days I will learn how to attach a picture.......
Just copy and paste

Steve
Chicago

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#107 Post by rubber chicken »

Hey Steve, the reason it didn't work is that the page was linked, not the picture itself. Pictures need to be linked directly, so I went to your link and got to the big version of the picture, then left clicked and chose to have the picture come up in a new window all by itself. Then I copied the address of the picture...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/111 ... 794e_o.jpg

... which is what's put in-between the brackets.

Hope that helps. :)

eeyore
Admiral

#108 Post by eeyore »

I'll bet that's it! When I go to the aerial views on pbase, you can see a faint line going out..not exactly centered on the boathouse but more centered on the wall bordering the Shriner property. I mentioned before..I wonder if the Shriner property was once part of the Estate, long, long ago like pre WWII. When you google earth the estate the rocks defining the tidal pool go behind the Shriner property too.

Hmm guess that square "rock " is still a mystery. :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#109 Post by J.J. Walters »

eeyore wrote:Regarding that dock in the Five O screen caps.. Can anyone get close enough zooming in to see if the dock is behind the boathouse/guesthouse or at the property next door that seems to have been torn down? It looks like there is something dark behind the boathouse, wall, shadows, foliage? I often wondered the significance of that square rock in the tidal pool, wondering now if it had anything to do with the dock?
It looks to me like the dock belongs to the adjacent property, the Shriners Beach Club. The dock appears to be too far away be a part of the Anderson Estate.

The "dark" area behind the boathouse appears to be shadows on the foliage.

I always thought the "rock slab" had something to do with harvesting the turtles, maybe something to do with nets.

This is all really just a WAG, though. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

eeyore
Admiral

#110 Post by eeyore »

I know from what I have read that Ms Anderson doesn't like to engage in conversation about the estate as it relates to the show, but I would love it if she would break her silence and give us some architectural history!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#111 Post by rubber chicken »

I decided to get the Hawaii Five-O dvd from netflix. It's the first disc of season three, episode 3.3 - The Second Shot. The estate features prominently in this episode (13 or 14 minutes not including indoor set scenes) which accounts for the ridiculous amount of screen shots (88 total). Those can be downloaded by going here (6 MB).

In the episode the estate is owned by Dr. Lemira, a self-exiled Greek doctor and politician who may be the target of hitmen. Here's some highlights of the screen shots:

A german shepherd at the estate before Zeus and Apollo's time.

There are indeed steps after entering the "front door."
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#112 Post by golfmobile »

What I find most interesting is how the estate was in SO MUCH BETTER shape back when Hawaii 5-0 was filiming there. Why was the estate allowed to get so rundown? That is so sad. I mean, the estate was built 40 years before the H5-0 years. Was it so difficult and expensive to keep it up for another 10-15 years? If one can afford the estate, one can't afford to keep it in good shape? That doesn't make much sense. What pleasure is there in having it if you can't maintain it? That would depress the heck out of me.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#113 Post by Sam »

RC,

A local channel shows HFO daily and this is an episode I haven't seen.

A question from your first cap .Does the driveway appear to have more curves in the HFO days vs the MPI days.

Golf,I agree,so much better in the HFO time.

If the exterior condition in its present state is an indication of the interior condition,I'm thinking it is a dump on a nice piece of property.

Thanks RC

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#114 Post by Vanity »

Not only does the driveway seem to have more curves than in MPI, but look at the lawn !!! I mean you actually can see the driveway from the grass, not a sort of a faded grass due to cars driving over and over it.
Golf, I fully agree.
I know what you're thinking...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#115 Post by J.J. Walters »

Awesome RC! Thank You!

Man, there are some really good shots of the inside of the house! The stairs and floor tiles are gorgeous.

I noticed that the front gate is different, too. It's wooden!

And there is a plaque by the front gate that says "Pahonu" (sea turtle in Hawaiian). I knew the estate was often called "Pahonu" (because of the ancient turtle pond), but I never knew it had a name plaque by the front gate. Very cool! I wonder if it's still there?

Tralfaz
Admiral

#116 Post by Tralfaz »

James J. Walters wrote:....but I never knew it had a name plaque by the front gate. Very cool! I wonder if it's still there?
Yes it is. You can just make it out over on the right...

"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#117 Post by rubber chicken »

Meant to include the gate shot. It's also nice to see more (briefly) of the house by the gate. The Pahonu plaque is seen in at least one episode of Magnum P.I. - the one where Rick is guarding the gate with an Ozi if I remember right. I can't remember the episode though.
Sam wrote:A question from your first cap .Does the driveway appear to have more curves in the HFO days vs the MPI days.
It appears to be generally the same (second screenshot from Never Again...Never Again (1.7):
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by sophia »

I beleive that episode was J Digger Doyle.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#119 Post by J.J. Walters »

Upon further review, it appears that "Pahonu" translates to "turtle enclosure", not "sea turtle". My bad.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#120 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks sophia. I was wrong though, you only see an address plaque - "1429" which isn't the correct address for the Anderson estate. They covered the Pahonu plaque with the fake address

I was thinking of this picture, which was my starting point to find out about the history of the Pahonu Turtle Pond.