So who has been to Hawaii?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#16 Post by golfmobile »

We're trying to go back in September, this time to Oahu, where we will, OF COURSE, visit the beach (at least) by Robin's Nest, among other places (Walker Estate at least).

Here's the extra thing I hope to do. I tried it last night with my flight simulator to see if there was time within the hour's flight I'll have. I can assure you I won't be in control during any taking off or landing (much less at the IH pier!), but hopefully I can be piloting once we're in the air. (click on the picture)

golf

P.S. For those of you have "been there" and "done that," how long a walk is it from Waimanalo Beach Park to the tidal pool? About a mile?
"Portside, buddy."

Tralfaz
Admiral

#17 Post by Tralfaz »

golfmobile wrote:
P.S. For those of you have "been there" and "done that," how long a walk is it from Waimanalo Beach Park to the tidal pool? About a mile?

More like an 1/8th. 2-3 min walk.
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#18 Post by golfmobile »

Tralfaz,

Really?? Then I must be confused about some geography. As I understand it, and as shown in the picture below, Waimanalo Beach Park is the green arrow to the far left. Robin's Nest is the green arrow to the right. Based on the distance legend from this Google Earth shot, it looks to be around 4,000-4,500 feet from WBP to RN, just under a mile.

I have put a red arrow where there appears to be a place to park and beach access, but I don't know if this is private property and one shouldn't park there and should really go to the parking area at WBP.

Advise, please? Thanks.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Sam »

Hi Golf,
If you're looking for a place to park,roughly 600 ft beyond the estate gate is a parking lot open to the public.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... 1/park.jpg
Last edited by Sam on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#20 Post by golfmobile »

Sam,

Okay, cool! That's even closer than what I had thought was a place to park. In looking in Google Earth, I assumed that was private property.

I am REALLY looking forward to this!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Don't forget to do the "snorkel shot" while you're there, golf! ;)

But seriously, thanks for all of these great posts. There is quite a lot of good information to be found here. I can't wait to get back to Oahu. It's been much, much too long!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Sam »

Golf.

Have a great trip and take a lot of pictures.

We've never had a problem but be advised..don't leave valuables in the car.
Also when you plan the trip to Robins Nest,ask around,check the paper,you want to go at low tide.

Tralfaz
Admiral

#23 Post by Tralfaz »

IIRC... the park has just less than a mile of beach. The lot in question being at the southern end.
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by sophia »

Hey Golf,
and anyone else out there going to Oahu any time soon.
Make sure you look up Ms. Anderson.
Here's something interesting about her I did'nt know.
Maybe if you see her, you can strike up a conversation about coconut trees! :D http://macpro-people.buzznet.com/user/p ... id=5465511

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#25 Post by rubber chicken »

Professional coconut tree trimmer, that's awesome! Wouldn't mind trying that out myself. :D

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#26 Post by golfmobile »

sophia,

Thanks! If she's out in the yard when we're there, and if she will come to the fence and talk to us, I'll be sure to compliment her on this subject and mention that I have seen pictures on the internet of her climbing the trees herself and how remarkable that is!

Right now, we have it planned that I'm going to take the helicopter flying "lesson" in the Robinson 44 so Larry can sit in the back and film while I'm doing the flying. That way, he can be filming the estate as we fly over it and I won't have to worry about that. He's NOT the best cinematographer in the world, but one takes what one can get, I guess. We're thinking about getting a better digital video camera than we currently have. Our current one works with an 8mm tape or the memory stick -- but the video resolution is only 320, which sucks, in this day and age. I'm trying to finance getting a Sony Handycam DCR HC96, which can use a memory stick Pro (I assume this is better than the plain ole memory stick?) or mini-DV tape (which I understand is better than an 8mm tape) and, I believe, will take video at 640 resolution, which just HAS to be better than what we have. We can't afford one of the $2,000 video cameras, just for this and other little stuff we film on vacation. So if anyone else is knowledgeable about video cameras, please feel free to recommend one to us -- preferably in the $500 price range, which I realize limits us a lot.

On the helicopter front, I checked with the service that I'll be flying with and asked about using an MD500D. Unfortunately, they don't own one, but I was advised they could charter one for us -- at $800/hour, with a four-hour minimum. :shock: :shock: :shock: So that's why we'll be in the R44. We'll just have to see how Larry will do flying with the doors off! That can be kind of scary the first time you do it. I'm used to it now (whoopee, have done it twice -- I LAUGH at missing doors!). Hey, let's hope he can handle Magnum GI -- maybe duct-tape him to the floor looking down and out the open door!!

Any video camera suggestions are welcome!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by sophia »

golf,
where on the internet can we see Ms. Anderson climbing the trees.
I would like to see that.
aloha

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#28 Post by golfmobile »

soph,

I can't remember right now, but I thought somewhere on the forums here there is a link to a picture of her up a tree on the estate -- a picture that some fan on the beach took when he spotted her having climbed up the palm tree.

Guys, can you find this for sophia?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Sam »

Here we go.
Last edited by Sam on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#30 Post by golfmobile »

Thanks, Sam.

I knew it was here somewhere, just didn't know where!

Now it's here again! :D

golf
"Portside, buddy."