So you're a Magnum fan? Then what kind of car do you drive?

For everything else!

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: So you're a Magnum fan? Then what kind of car do you dr

#91 Post by Sam »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Did you see the sunrise? My Bug did.

Did you ever mention the year if so I missed it it looks very much like the 1965 that I had.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

It's a 1958 - first year with the squared back window. 1965 is similar, but had bigger tail lights and turn signals, different steering wheel, crest, various other minor changes and ...an actual fuel gauge! (what a luxury)

I just realized - next month my Bug will be 60. How time flies.
Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by Sam »

I had two vw's... the 65 and in 73 I bought the Super Beetle... I don't remember what was super about it except it was 3 in longer and had the curved windshield.. I liked that car.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by Steve »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Did you see the sunrise? My Bug did.

Great picture...

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Steve wrote:Great picture...
Thanks! It looks even better full sized in the >4K original - but that wouldn't fit very well in this forum. Too bad there's not auto sizing of photos here.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by T.Q. »

Bought it Brand New...

… in 1994. :P

Still drives great. :D

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#97 Post by Lord Ickenham »

We have a Peugeot 206. But my son has some Ferraris. One Matchbox, and a half dozen Burago.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#98 Post by Chris109 »

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by Reef monkey »

Up until two weekends ago, I drove a 2011 Chevy Malibu, which I bought the month I joined this site, actually (I think it was within a week, too). I had just left a job where I had always had a company car, and went out and bought the Malibu really quickly to have basic transportation that I could keep for two years then give to my stepson when he turned 16, and buy something nicer for myself. Well, as many young people are doing these days, my stepson dragged his feet about getting his drivers license, and I kept driving the Malibu because I liked not having a car payment, and now my stepson is just getting his license at 21 because he has to be able to drive himself to an internship this summer, so I went out and bought myself a low mileage 2017 Mazda 6 (I always buy used cars and let the previous owner eat the huge first-year depreciation). I enjoy having leather seats again, finally have a modern infotainment system, and I also got it in 6 speed manual transmission, which makes it a hoot to drive.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#100 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I've already got a "poor man's Audi" as my Robin 2, and a Jeep as my Robin 3. I'm now thinking of a Miata (with tan leather) as my "poor man's Ferrari", Robin 1.

[img]http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.3000933.1489757013!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/nydn-2017-mazda-mx-5-miata-rf-soul-red-rear-quarter.jpg[/img]

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#101 Post by robicurp »

I can't afford a Ferrari 308, so I drive a Porsche Cayman. Which is basically a German equivalent. mid-engine, 250HP and super fun!
I can't hop over the door to get in and speed away like Magnum though :(

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#102 Post by ConchRepublican »

robicurp wrote:I can't afford a Ferrari 308, so I drive a Porsche Cayman. Which is basically a German equivalent. mid-engine, 250HP and super fun!

Welcome to the Virtual Estate robicurp
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#103 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

robicurp wrote:I can't afford a Ferrari 308, so I drive a Porsche Cayman. Which is basically a German equivalent. mid-engine, 250HP and super fun!

Good choice. That's what I'd get if it wasn't so damn expensive in Canada. The 6 cylinder would be the ultimate.

I'm probably going to have to go with a Fiat 124 Spider.

Your image doesn't seem to work - and if you put the link to it in a browser, you get a page saying "These aren't the droids you're looking for."

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#104 Post by robicurp »

Hi Buck,
I agree on the 6 Cylinder requirement. mine's a 2007 so it has the screaming little 6. And the new 124 Spyder is sweet.
The photo link looked different in Flikr today for some reason. I fiddled with it. Please let me know if you can see the image now.
Thanks.

ImagecroppedHallett by Curtis Robinson, on Flickr

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#105 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Is that your Porsche? Nice! And nice vintage-style wheels. I remember seeing wheels like that on a Porsche back in 1994. It was an 80's 911 and it was for sale for $6000. I was going to buy it, but then said, "Nah, that's too much for an old car." Those were the days.