Magnum's Set Decorator Blog

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum's Set Decorator Blog

#61 Post by Steve »

Thanks for posting Sam....Interesting that only Rick and a couple of his crew were allowed inside The Estate....

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Sam »

Steve wrote:
Thanks for posting Sam....Interesting that only Rick and a couple of his crew were allowed inside The Estate....
Hi Steve...Romer mentioned that something was broken by the crew...I think it happened during the HFO days so Eve didn't allow shooting inside for the MPI run..We do know that Higgins and Higgins and Magnum filmed on the Lanai..

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I've been messaging with Rick but he didn't know about Pahonu already being demolished. But interestingly enough he does know the new owner's contractor from childhood. Oahu is a small island!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by T.Q. »

Boy, that was kinda sad.
As far as the new Magnum show, it is the same producer / writer (showrunner) used for the new "5-0" as well as the new "McGyver." What concerns me about the new "Magnum" is the show being tied to the 80's as much as it was to Tom Selleck. Since neither are available, the show will be updated for the audience who they expect will watch it. We are no longer in that age group. As someone once told me, "Episodic TV is just filler between commercials." Crass as that may be, it is true. The show's success will be determined by viewership of the key demographic age group and that will determine what the advertising rates will be for commercials appearing during it's hour. Our watching or not watching will not affect the show. Higgin's is now a woman. Magnum will not have a mustache. The 80's are over.

Mahalo for your interest over the years,

Rick Romer
Thanks for posting.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by only looking »

Been a super long time but I'll try anyway lol does anyone actually know what the actual color of the guest house paint that they used? I mean I know it's a light colored Yellowish tan really not for sure what color you would call it lol but I was just curious if there was a specific color they used and it looks like there's a sponge effect of a slightly darker color applied on top to give it texture can anyone elaborate on this
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#66 Post by Pahonu »

only looking wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:05 pm Been a super long time but I'll try anyway lol does anyone actually know what the actual color of the guest house paint that they used? I mean I know it's a light colored Yellowish tan really not for sure what color you would call it lol but I was just curious if there was a specific color they used and it looks like there's a sponge effect of a slightly darker color applied on top to give it texture can anyone elaborate on this
I don’t know of any specific color, but I’d say beige to tan is an accurate description. It didn’t have a sponge effect, however. The Spanish Colonial Revival style typically uses a hand-troweled very rough stucco on the exterior walls. The irregular high and low spots create lots of shadows and texture with just a single color of paint. We have such textured stucco on our exterior walls, in beige. We also have terracotta barrel tiles on our roof and dark brown wood railings on our balconies. Other details are in black wrought iron. These are all typical of the style, though Pahonu originally had black roof tile.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by only looking »

Greatly appreciate the information and as soon as you mentioned the stucco I was lying like one of those oh yes moments lol. I can see where the illusion of sponge sponge of what is seen on camera actually is the stucco with the shadows makes more sense now.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#68 Post by Pahonu »

only looking wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:34 pm Greatly appreciate the information and as soon as you mentioned the stucco I was lying like one of those oh yes moments lol. I can see where the illusion of sponge sponge of what is seen on camera actually is the stucco with the shadows makes more sense now.
No worries! I always enjoy discussing architecture and particularly Pahonu. :magnum: :magnum: :magnum:

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by only looking »

I know it's more of a set dressing but the yuba champions know whatever happened to the painting that was in the guest house of the 2 polynesian women

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by erock308 »

only looking wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:45 pm I know it's more of a set dressing but the yuba champions know whatever happened to the painting that was in the guest house of the 2 polynesian women
Hopefully the original painting is hanging prominently in someone's kitchen, I have mocked a version up : https://www.zazzle.com/the_famous_guest ... 1453310606
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Wilson_MacLeish
Lieutenant

#71 Post by Wilson_MacLeish »

erock308 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:36 am
only looking wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:45 pm I know it's more of a set dressing but the yuba champions know whatever happened to the painting that was in the guest house of the 2 polynesian women
Hopefully the original painting is hanging prominently in someone's kitchen, I have mocked a version up : https://www.zazzle.com/the_famous_guest ... 1453310606
It's already gone.

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by erock308 »

"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Stevie Sim
Ensign

#73 Post by Stevie Sim »

Was that pressed particle board armoire in T.M.'s bedroom in "Italian Ice"? Maybe just plywood?

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#74 Post by Aloha Friday »

I think that is "bird's eye" maple. Someone posted on MM about someone selling a similar bedroom set not too long ago. I think they were taking bids on it, but price got crazy, if I remember correctly.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

UtahMagnumFan
Lieutenant

#75 Post by UtahMagnumFan »

Stevie Sim wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:28 pm Was that pressed particle board armoire in T.M.'s bedroom in "Italian Ice"? Maybe just plywood?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175595862002?m ... media=COPY

It’s called burl wood. You can still get it today; However, they cost a pretty penny (Robin/Higgins spared no expense)! 😜