BREAKING - Magnum returning as a TV series, but . . .

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: BREAKING - Magnum returning as a TV series, but . . .

#31 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:OK, add me to the "This is gonna suck" column.
I can't think of a single remake/sequel that Hollywood HASN'T screwed up...with the exception of Star Trek:TNG. I've never seen the new Battestar Galactica, but I'll give you that one too because I've HEARD it was good from people who watched.
The New Love Boat, the multiple Odd Couple do-overs, The Bionic Woman, Ironside, Dallas...oh, and that gem, The New Adam 12...remember that? Yes, the creativity in Hollywood is virtually non-existent. I'll give MacGuyver one season at best.
Magnum PI had a winning formula, great cast, great chemistry and NEVER "jumped the shark". It can't be duplicated, spun-off, or revisited.
Mrs.Higgins,
I would note that the odds of any series at this stage of development actually making it on the air aren't the best. So please fellow Magnum fans don't get your hopes too high that it happens.
I agree with Mrs. Higgins in regards to the quality of Hollywood remakes except for the 1981 Maverick update "Bret Maverick" with original star James Garner which was superior to the original 1950's series but only lasted 17 episodes.
The only other truly successful re-imaging of a tv series that I know of, while staying true to the original and actually bettering it was Southern Star Entertainment's "Rescue Special Ops".
It was a unofficial updating of the same studio's Gary Sweet starring "Police Rescue", which ended in 1994. 15 years later and a older Sweet is reduced to a part time role as a now retired legend and father of two of the new cast members.
This Sydney set series looks expensively produced, a rocking theme song, the action top notch, the photography and writing good too and it sports a very attractive cast. It is on YouTube for free, though the 1st two episodes audio sync is sightly off.
An interesting aside regarding the old saw that everyone has a double walking around.
Actress Gigi Edgley, who portrays paramedic Lara Knight, looks so much like actress Traylor Howard of Monk fame they could be clones.
For my two cents, you could set the new Magnum in sun drenched Sydney with it's beautiful harbor and beaches. Give Lilly a job at the local affiliate of the now global PI firm Luther Gillis and Associates.
Lilly's boss could be yet another Higgins half brother so you can retain the Higgins vibe and humor. John Cleese would be perfect.
Putting a seppo(American) in New South Wales opens up comedic possibilities too as well as situations we haven't seen a 1000 times over on our American shows. Instead of Hotel street you'd have Kings Cross. Never mind the crocs making off with the odd tourist for lunch, the staggering amount of flora and fauna in Australia that can kill you also leads to story possibilities.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Stelth »

I'm not going to hold my breath over this development.

Reaper
Ensign

#33 Post by Reaper »

I'm actually hopeful for this, but fearful as well. What they have given us as a basis (Lilly was Navy Intel, just like her father, but was run out after something went wrong) gives a similar, but just different enough feel to the original. I also think it's important that Lilly (PLEASE drop the "Tommy" from her character!!) be 34-35, just like the character would be as a true continuation. Yes, I can see setting it maybe 5 years in the past to control underlying news stories and settings, but I think it works better being "in the now" just like the original was.

I would LOVE for Mr Selleck to make an appearance, a couple times a season (if good, I want 8 seasons again lol) maybe getting into the action even in some flashback case.

I think there is a good chance to get TC and Rick back on a more regular basis, even in reduced roles. (Rick could still be running the Club, and TC owning a much expanded Island Hoppers touring company. I'd love BOTH of TC's kids to come back and help TC with the company. (computer wiz/accountant and pilot Don't care which one is which) I can also see Rick taking the Icepick role, still having feelers, this time directly into the sources, like the retired Icepick did)

If Ms Longoria is going to star as well as produce, I would LOVE for her to be Higgin's Niece, from the Texas brother, who took over managing Robin's Nest.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Seaver41 »

not sure where to begin on this one. I think it's an automatic failure unless there is reasonable expectation that Selleck will make appearances. You can't borrow the name and ignore the 500 lb elephant in the room. The fine line though is developing the lead character and not having this production be about Tom Selleck - and whatever level of participation he has/doesn't have. If they are going to ignore him altogether, I doubt i will have much patience for it. If they bring in other beloved characters like Rick and TC here and there - ok then maybe..but there would still be that enormous cloud of when is Selleck appearing. The guy still drives ratings on tv.

it will be curious to get his reaction to the project....was he consulted at all on the concept? blessing given? that could be critical.

as for characters......Rick could certainly be the new Icepick. doubt they would make him a regular, same for TC....but his kid could be running some element of Island Hoppers. Lots of options.

help me out gang, this is an ABC project - what studio/rights did they need to get?

waverly2211
Captain

#35 Post by waverly2211 »

So a few months ago I got bored and typed this BS up. If you see a him, replace with her, though I think i got them all.

Using the daughter for a series re-boot may work. Episode opens with Magnum, sitting in his office in DC and discussing his upcoming retirement with his assistant. His daughter, now in Naval intelligence is scheduled to take leave and visit her dad and attend the retirement party when a major terrorist threat is detected. The threat is to be carried out on US soil and one of the potential sites is Honolulu.

Magnum gets word from his daughter that she has been assigned to a top secret project and cannot make the retirement party. The daughter tells Magnum that she does not know what the threat is yet as he has not been briefed on the assignment. After a couple of days Magnum attempts to contact his daughter, but after multiple attempts and no answer. Magnum starts to believe something else is going on.

Magnum begins to ask around and even the top brass in the Navy is unaware of the details as it the operation is being directed by another intelligence agency using some other agencies and military investigators. As Magnum continues to dig, he hits brick walls at every turn. But he slowly begins to believe that the terrorists plot isn’t from foreign powers, but a small group of right wing military and intelligence personnel in the US looking to take out a top government leader and blame it on a foreign power to start another war. The terrorist group has smuggled in a small group of assassins some time ago. They have been given fake documents and backgrounds and they are currently in Hawaii and have assimilated into society. Each assassin is employed them in key position so one will be in a place to take out their target(s) when the time is correct.

As Magnum uncovers the plot, he is met with some antagonist figure heads. Many of them believe Magnum has lost it and one of the intelligence chiefs tries to get Magnum retired/discharged/fired/kicked out of the Navy on the spot.

Magnum then gets word that some other naval and government personnel have gone dark. Magnum, due to the unreturned phone calls, now believes his daughter is part of the people who have gone dark and believes they may be kidnapped or dead.

As Magnum works in Washington, the show cuts to scenes in Hawaii where the daughter is shown following up on leads and eventually kidnapped and held with a small group of others being held hostage at a soon to be open luxury resort.

Magnum postpones his retirement, takes leave and heads to Hawaii to find his daughter. Of course Magnum enlists TC and Rick. Magnum could also get Higgins, but due to Hilleman’s current health Higgins would have to be another actor as an over the phone character or long shots with somebody who looks like Higgins.

Magnum and the old gang eventually find out where the hostages are. They of course rescue the hostages and Magnum fully uncovers the plot 100% just in time to save the life of the visiting US President and Chinese President in Honolulu who are attending a dedication.

Magnum tells the group he and the daughter have one last thing to do. Magnum and daughter fly back to Washington and confront the chief and drops the evidence on his desk that he was the plots leader. The chief attempts to deny, then as Magnum turns his back as he is talking the chief attempts to pull a gun out of his desk. A shot is heard and Magnum looks at the daughter who is holding her service revolver tells the now dead chief to consider this her resignation.

Magnum embraces his daughter and as they walk out the door and down a hallway talking about the future. The daughter says maybe she will follow in Magnum's footsteps and become a PI. Magnum stops walking, turns his head away from the daughter and looks into a close up camera says Aloha, or something like that and the camera cuts. Something that infers Magnum may be saying goodbye or saying hello.

You then could re-boot the show with the daughter as the New Magnum, a naval investigator who has now soured on the Navy due to the cover-ups and attempts to get her father kicked out of the navy over the plot Magnum uncovered. Magnum could be a recurring every few episodes character, voice over in the backgrounds like RM or nothing. The “new” Magnum would need her own crew.

The new Magnum could start out under the guise as a private security expert for some swanky resort where she is supposed to live for a short time while looking for a permanent place. But of course the owner of the resort, who the new Magnum saved his life and a couple of his staffs lives recently lets the new Magnum stay as long as she wants and the resort manager resents that and they battle over new Magnum using the pool, ocean front access, bar, private club and staff for her personal cases.

Besides the built in clients who from time to time hire the new Magnum while they are visiting the new resort, the new Magnum would also get other clients and utilize not only resort staff to help but new trusted friends who come onto the scene.

Maybe an IT expert at the resort to track down cyber info for Magnum. A tour guide who owns a land and sea tour company that caters to the clients of the resort and other resorts to hussle her around the islands. I would also add a female to the crew. The tour company owner would work or the resort manager might be better.

Another plot line would be TM retires, goes back into private practice in Hawaii and the daughter joins the PI firm. And the hijinks soon followed.

But I like the resort angle because it would allow the series to be centralized like the original. You wouldn't have to film all around Hawaii all the time and a set could be built for the majority of the indoor shots.

The PI firm puts them too much in an office, and part of the Hawaii attraction is beautiful locations not the inside of a small PI's office.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by MagnumILWU »

Lilly "Tommy"Magnum??!! It just makes me laugh!
"pickled egg please"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#37 Post by ConchRepublican »

According to Eva Longoria this is now off . . .

However, the 41-year-old actress and director still believes there is a bias towards men in the industry, using the example of how she couldn't get a female remake of the hit TV series 'Magnum P.I.' made.

Speaking at the MAKERS Conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California, she added: "At the end of Magnum P.I. back then, he had a daughter. So, we were making the sequel where she's a badass. She's everything Magnum was, except a woman. And it didn't get made. I really feel that was that unconscious bias of that study if people go 'well, we just don't see her doing everything he did.' And I go, why not? Why can't you see it that way?"

http://journalstar.com/people/eva-longo ... d2055.html
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I doubt that any kind of bias against women had anything to do with it. But her comments make me think she doesn't know much about the show or TM. For one thing, women can't be Navy SEALs (contrary to what Demi Moore tried to tell us).

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by erock308 »

Perhaps in a world with "Alternative facts" anything is possible... :higgins:
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:I doubt that any kind of bias against women had anything to do with it. But her comments make me think she doesn't know much about the show or TM. For one thing, women can't be Navy SEALs (contrary to what Demi Moore tried to tell us).
Hi,
I think you are spot on with your comment that Eva Langoria 'doesn't know much about the show', especially when Conch quoted her as saying, regarding Magnum's daughter,'she's a bad ass'.
Did anybody else wince at that? Thomas Magnum, over the course of the series, is revealed to be one of the most richly developed and nuanced, complicated characters in tv history, with much to be mined in the subtext. But all this idiot Hollywood princess gets from the series is 'bad ass', throw in "shiny sports car' and 'beach babes' and that's probably the sum total of her takeaway on remaking it.
Bad ass? What does that mean? Magnum's a Vet who served his country, he didn't go engage in honorable combat or even a street fight like a pro wrestler, bellowing and braying like a macho fool, in a cartoonish take on violence that teenage boys, immature adults and Hollywood types who never once got in a brawl think is "bad ass".
Magnum finally delivering justice to Ivan wasn't bad ass. Longoria ought to study that scene.
Selleck does a stellar acting job in that episode. He's a man who has come full circle, his illusion of refuge and starting a new life in Hawaii no longer that, as a man can't get rid of his personal demons by changing locales.
The return of Magnum the Warrior and his back to the jungle solution may be just what is needed to make Magnum whole again, so he can move on, finally, "back to the world".
It always seemed to me Magnum was more at peace with things after this episode. On the other hand, I could be wrong.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#41 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Looks like she wanted to give MPI the Hawaii Five-O reboot treatment. Explosions, shiny cars, carbines and "so cool" dialogue. No thanks...
Faith and Begorrah!

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by erock308 »

A lot of non fans and occasional watches would no doubt miss the underlining message of the series. I have tried to explain to people that the show has a lot more depth to it than the obvious flashy car, beach babes and gun fights.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#43 Post by BWheelz54 »

Yeah, Longoria shows she doesn't appreciate the old show with that "badass" comment. Seems to me that so many of the leaders in the entertainment industries just see everything as a variable, that they're always looking for the simple equation that will guarantee them success and wealth. I must sound like such a broken record; I've made that comment so many times. Problem is, these people are always missing great shows and great movies, because I don't think good art ever falls into neat boxes.

I could live with a reboot, and I could look forward to one if it honored the previous characters and cast. To me, a new Magnum could do this by focussing not on the "sparkle" of the old show, but instead on the depth. Magnum PI remains so relevant to me because I keep seeing the show filled with medicine and healing for a country that often feels so divided. There was such a powerful strand through the show about how we treat our soldiers when they return after so bravely serving our country, and I know that's something we need to remember these days as well. I'm amazed by how Magnum PI works to pull people together instead of apart.

So that's why I would love to see Magnum return, if only for a kinda reunion movie. I would hope Magnum might remind us again that we're all in it together. And that's why I'm happy to see that Longoria's idea is off. Anything that just tries cashing in on the nostalgia just isn't going to do Magnum justice.

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by erock308 »

"One for all, all for one"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#45 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Really glad this didn't happen. An action show with "bad ass" characters is not what this show was ever about. It seems to have been just an opportunity to ride on the Magnum P.I. brand to pull in some eyeballs.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.