Magnum's rugby shirts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

Magnum's rugby shirts

#1 Post by Big Kahuna »

Has anyone seen anywhere online where one might be able to buy some old-school, retro-style, 80s rugby shirts like Magnum's..?

Specifically, the ones with the one-piece neck-line thing. Most rugby shirts these days have flat, over-and-above neck-line things that are sewn together at the bottom (usually with buttons too these days)...whereas the ones Magnum wears are made from one strip of material (usually white) which curves over.

I remember these from the 80s and I had a few as a kid. I've looked on the Magnum Mania accessories section, but there's nothing listed there.

Many thanks.
"I dunno. You have to get on a freeway, the M25 or something"

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum's rugby shirts

#2 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Try ebay. There are quite a few Ralph Lauren "vintage" rugby shirts up for auction. Several have the collar you are looking for, and I'm sure the fabric quality and workmanship is much better than anything similar on the market today.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

#3 Post by Big Kahuna »

I've looked on eBay and can't find anything. I might not have explained myself very well...

The white, neckline bit where the buttons go, is one continuous piece of material, in a U-shape. And there's no stitching at the bottom. It's not creased as such, to flatten it, you'd have to create a crease with an iron – but I remember they were supposed to worn without the crease.

Does any of this babble make any sense..?!

Ah-ha! Found one...

So, perhaps it's this brand, Canterbury – which actually makes sense.
"I dunno. You have to get on a freeway, the M25 or something"

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I knew what you were talking about. They were very popular in high school back in the early 80s...especially the ones with surf designs on them (Op, Hobie, Sundek). They went well with shortie shorts like Magnum wore.

Congrats on the find.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

This type of polo/rugby shirts without the reinforced stitching on the placket were popular before the 1980's. Opie wore them on the early seasons of Andy Griffith.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Funny, as I read the title of this post, I thought you were going to mention the ones that had the front pocket like a hoodie sweatshirt. It reminded me of this old thread where the rugby shirts are discussed at length: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=643

One thing's for sure, Canterbury is certainly the king of the rugby shirt. New Zealanders take their rugby seriously. Great craftsmanship.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.