Hawaii Five-0 (2010)

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Hawaii Five-0 (2010)

#421 Post by Doc Ibold »

MagnumILWU wrote:
golfmobile wrote:Depending on how much Kamekona weighs, I think there is a possibility that he would not get a license. I understand the show's wanting to show someone as the supporting character, "T.C."-type person who flies a helicopter, but I think this is the least likely supporting character to be a realistic helicopter pilot (not to mention the cost involved, as mentioned in an earlier post). And it really isn't necessary to have someone else fly a helicopter, since Steve can fly one. It takes a couple of years of training to become a helicopter pilot, particularly in as large an aircraft as Kamekona is flying in the show. Generally one starts off in a R22, and that aircraft DOES have a weight requirement that Kamekona would bust. And Steve doesn't need someone to fly him in a helicopter, he can do it himself. To me this requires too much of a suspension of disbelief that is unnecessary to, basically, a good show that I really enjoy watching. It would make more sense for Catherine to become Steve's backup chopper pilot. Even Chin or Kono would be better. (But I'd just love it to be a female character.) Obviously, I really dislike the idea and use of Kamekona as a heli pilot.

JMO
You do realize this is just a TV show, and none of it is real! They can have anyone do what ever they want, because it's make believe! It doesn't have to be true to life!. He's a fun character, and they probably want to feature him more in the show.
I think golf kinda addressed that with the suspension of disbelief and it being just her opinion.

:wink:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#422 Post by ConchRepublican »

MagnumILWU wrote:
golfmobile wrote:Depending on how much Kamekona weighs, I think there is a possibility that he would not get a license. I understand the show's wanting to show someone as the supporting character, "T.C."-type person who flies a helicopter, but I think this is the least likely supporting character to be a realistic helicopter pilot (not to mention the cost involved, as mentioned in an earlier post). And it really isn't necessary to have someone else fly a helicopter, since Steve can fly one. It takes a couple of years of training to become a helicopter pilot, particularly in as large an aircraft as Kamekona is flying in the show. Generally one starts off in a R22, and that aircraft DOES have a weight requirement that Kamekona would bust. And Steve doesn't need someone to fly him in a helicopter, he can do it himself. To me this requires too much of a suspension of disbelief that is unnecessary to, basically, a good show that I really enjoy watching. It would make more sense for Catherine to become Steve's backup chopper pilot. Even Chin or Kono would be better. (But I'd just love it to be a female character.) Obviously, I really dislike the idea and use of Kamekona as a heli pilot.

JMO
You do realize this is just a TV show, and none of it is real! They can have anyone do what ever they want, because it's make believe! It doesn't have to be true to life!. He's a fun character, and they probably want to feature him more in the show.
As evidenced by all the things Steve is able to accomplish without his tights and cape. :D
Last edited by ConchRepublican on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#423 Post by J.J. Walters »

I think it's cool that they used the name "Kamekona" for the HFO character. I'm sure it's a little homage to the actor Danny Kamekona, who appeared in many original HFO episodes and several Magnum episodes. He was a well-known, well-liked local actor.

It's interesting, the guy in that screen cap that MagnumILWU posted (which I think is from "The Eighth Part of the Village", but I'm not entirely sure) looks a lot like the actor who plays Kamekona on the new HFO (local Taylor Wily, aka Teila Tuli), only much younger of course. The only problem is Tuli would have been all of 13 or 14 during the filming of that episode. I've seen some oldish looking 13/14 year-olds in my time, but it might be a stretch here. But he is a big boy (future sumo wrestler in real life), and his face is a dead ringer for a young Taylor Wily!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#424 Post by MagnumILWU »

J.J. Walters wrote:I think it's cool that they used the name "Kamekona" for the HFO character. I'm sure it's a little homage to the actor Danny Kamekona, who appeared in many original HFO episodes and several Magnum episodes. He was a well-known, well-liked local actor.

It's interesting, the guy in that screen cap that MagnumILWU posted (which I think is from "The Eighth Part of the Village", but I'm not entirely sure) looks a lot like the actor who plays Kamekona on the new HFO (local Taylor Wily, aka Teila Tuli), only much younger of course. The only problem is Tuli would have been all of 13 or 14 during the filming of that episode. I've seen some oldish looking 13/14 year-olds in my time, but it might be a stretch here. But he is a big boy (future sumo wrestler in real life), and his face is a dead ringer for a young Taylor Wily!
I didn't post the original photo, JT did! He gets the credit! And the guy in the photo sure does look like "Kamekona". Maybe a relative!
"pickled egg please"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#425 Post by KENJI »

I remember Danny Kamekona playing an evil character named Sato on Karate Kid and then he played a good friend to Higgins in one episode with the same name Sato. A bit of trivia for you.

The picture sure does look like a ringer for HFO's Kamekona. I would be stunned if it wasn't him....even at 14...maybe he has an older brother.

Vrinda
Ensign

Re:

#426 Post by Vrinda »

Little Garwood wrote:I just finished a New Five-O marathon and have to admit that I like the show on its own merits, though it's nothing spectacular. Comparisons to the classic, immortal original are useless. However, I have to say that the new McGarrett and Danno spoke more to each other in episode two's car ride scene than the original McG and Danno ever did in eleven seasons together on the original--on screen or off! The new guys are definitely "Chatty Cathies." :wink:
To say that the new McGarrett and Danno spoke to each other more in that ridiculous car scene than the original McGarrett and Danno did in all 11 seasons or in real life is unrealistic and silly. The new McGarrett and Danno were behaving in a childish manner and spoke for a few minutes in that scene, the length of time it ran, and you say that in 11 seasons with hundreds of minutes of screentime, Jack Lord and James MacArthur spoke less to one another? I've seen a majority of episodes from the originals series recently, and those two had a far more stable, respectful, and dignified relationship than these two Keystone Cops rejects.

How do you know how much Jack and James spoke to each other offscreen?
Last edited by Vrinda on Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConchRepublican

#427 Post by ConchRepublican »

Is that you Kimo?
CoziTV Superfan spot

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#428 Post by Doc Ibold »

ConchRepublican wrote:Is that you Kimo?
Dang it Conch. I might have to get a new tablet because I just spit all over mine.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. In a twisted way, I kind of miss the guy.. But knowing what we now know his blistering statements about Hawaiian culture being eroded by haoles who sell tchotchkes were made by.... Some white dude who sold tchotchkes just makes it hilarious.

But, in keeping with my stance on all voices should be heard here, I respect Vrinda's opinion (despite never having watched either show!)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#429 Post by golfmobile »

Conch,

EXACTLY what I was thinking! (and then, OMG, there's another one?)

But, V V, I confess, I don't miss him . . . .

I do think, however, that most of us here understand when someone exaggerates to make a point.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#430 Post by Doc Ibold »

golfmobile wrote:Conch,

EXACTLY what I was thinking! (and then, OMG, there's another one?)

But, V V, I confess, I don't miss him . . . .

I do think, however, that most of us here understand when someone exaggerates to make a point.

golf
Haha, I should restate that. It's not like I miss him that much because he irritated a lot of people here, including myself. But just some of the stuff he threw out there made me think he was a blowhard, and it was amusing as to what he would fabricate or what innocuous statement would set him off.

I never took him too seriously.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#431 Post by Steve »

Doc Ibold wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:Is that you Kimo?
Dang it Conch. I might have to get a new tablet because I just spit all over mine.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. In a twisted way, I kind of miss the guy.. But knowing what we now know his blistering statements about Hawaiian culture being eroded by haoles who sell tchotchkes were made by.... Some white dude who sold tchotchkes just makes it hilarious.

But, in keeping with my stance on all voices should be heard here, I respect Vrinda's opinion (despite never having watched either show!)
Other than spitting all over my lap top instead of a tablet your entire statement took the words right out of my mouth..............Would have been fun seeing him dig him into his "haole hole" deeper and deeper :D

ConchRepublican

#432 Post by ConchRepublican »

Sorry guys. Lemme help clean that up for ya.

CoziTV Superfan spot

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#433 Post by Steve »

I'm sorry, but I just have to vent...........What the heck was the purpose of having Steve's sister show up with a baby in this past weeks episode! Plus, where was Grace Park in the episode and why are they making that very non-sexy and in my opinion mik toast actress that plays Steve's girlfriend (Michelle Borth as Catherine) a team member. The show is getting close to jumping the shark.................

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#434 Post by terryfromkerry »

Still waiting for the new season to kick off here .............. is it going to be C**p . I hope not !

PS, loved seeing Scott Caan and his dad James together in the same episode last season.

As a kid the first time I saw James Cann was as " Mississippi" with John Wayne in " El Dorado* 1966.
He was terrific in that movie and tended to steal the scenes he featured in even with the "DUKE".

Every time I see Scott in H50 I feel he has inherited all the talent and screen presence his dad has. He seems to have so much natural talent.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#435 Post by ThomasMagnum »