The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#391 Post by Pahonu »

This is in reference to filming inside the actual Eve Anderson Estate. It is quite well known that she allowed very little access to the inside of the main house. Many of the scenes thought to have been filmed there, especially the pilot episode, have proved not to be. The porches were widely used and rarely the balconies. Rick Romer has stated in his blog that she also limited access because of damage done to the tilework by Hawaii Five-O shoots. James has listed the only interior shots on the estate page, but none are actual rooms inside the main house. However, I think I have spotted some exceptions.

In "By Its Cover" with Stuart Margolin, I think the scene where Rod (Margolin) knocks at the front door of the main house was actually filmed at those doors, not the set. If you look carefully when Higgins opens the door you can see the actual exterior beyond the porch. Usually a rather fake looking screed was placed outside the set doors. Some of you have commented on this. The shot of Higgins is very tight and he is separated from Magnum who is actually on the set. They cut back and forth between the two never showing them together. I personally think this was a more realistic way of doing it, though I have not noticed it done that way again.

In "Distant Relative" the scene where Magnum looks out of the window at Higgins and Agatha flying the model planes is also, I believe, inside the main house. Once again you can see the actual exterior of the area of the sea wall that doesn't have foliage in front of it. The shot is over Magnum's shoulder (supposedly from his guesthouse bedroom) and out the window to the sea wall. This makes no geographic sense as the guest/boathouse is at the other end of the beach. I think Selleck was standing in front of a window in the one-story ell of the main house for that shot. Curiously, they also show Magnum walk from behind the main house (very rare) to confront Higgins by the sea wall. This would fit with the attempt to make us believe the guest house is behind the main house, an illusion most all on this forum have figured out and discussed.

Bottom line, there have been some very minor shots from the inside of the main house. Unfortunately they have been very limited in scope in an attempt to make the sets align with the actual house, and very few in number as Ms Anderson limited access so strictly.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#392 Post by steveadl »

Very interesting Pahonu. Any chance of some screen shots of the above scenes anybody.......pleeeaaase? :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#393 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi, Pahonu! And welcome North!

The "By Its Cover" scene has been discussed before. I believe it's in the "By Its Cover" episode thread (Page 6 or 7). I didn't mention it in the 'Robin's Nest' page (although I probably should have), because it was decided that the scene in question is not technically inside the main house; it's a semi outdoor walkway, or breezeway (it's enclosed by three walls, with the fourth always open).

The "Distant Relative" scene that you mention is really interesting. In looking at the scene again, I believe you are correct! This would be the only scene in the entire series that they actually filmed inside the main house! I wonder why she let them film it?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Pahonu

#394 Post by Pahonu »

James,

Sorry I missed the topic on the "By Its Cover" thread, but I agree it is technically not a room inside the house. I just wonder why they didn't use that film technique more often rather than the poor-looking screed hung outside the set. That being the case, the example from "Distant Relative" then would be the only example (so far found) of filming inside the main house. Cool!

Can you find a screen shot of this?
Last edited by Pahonu on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#395 Post by Pahonu »

I just read the discussion on that scene from the "By Its Cover" thread. Crazy long!!! If you're looking for the proper name for the indoor/outdoor annex space you discussed in such depth, I would suggest zaguan. The literal translation is "vestibule" or "entry hall" but it is not as simple as that. In Spanish and Spanish Colonial architecture it is not uncommon to have a space like this. Typically a door directly from the street (no front yard) opens onto a space that is both covered and walled on three sides. The open side often leads through a courtyard or patio, less typically a loggia, to the formal entrance of the home. This is not impractical in climates along the Med or the tropics. Given the architectural style of the estate is Spanish Colonial Revival (popular in the 20's and 30's when it was built) and the climate of Hawaii, this feature makes perfect sense. It is a far less common feature here in SoCal where the revival originated because of the cooler winters here. In the case of the Anderson Estate it would also allow for nice breezes to pass through the loggia if the zaguan doors (arched) and the pair of glazed doors (the ones with the yellow curtains) at the opposite end were opened. Sorry for the lengthy architecture lesson!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#396 Post by SelleckLover »

Don't be sorry for the architecture lesson! I found it quite informative. Learned some stuff I never knew before! :D

Pahonu

#397 Post by Pahonu »

This is in reference to all the plantings on the estate. I think James asked for information about this in another thread and got just a couple of responses. Now that I am adding the foliage to the estate model, any information about plants that you recognize would be very helpful. Someone pointed out that the vegitation growing on the walls is sea grape and some of the palm trees are cocoanut palms. Lets see what else this group can come up with.
Last edited by Pahonu on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#398 Post by J.J. Walters »

Here's the latest update to Pahonu's Google SketchUp 3D model of the estate:

Pahonu's Google SketchUp Model

The palm trees are a nice addition to the model! All you need now are some plants/scrubs/bushes, although I know that's going to be a tedious endeavor.

I love how you can even walk around inside the houses! You have some nice detail going on in there-- molding, trim work, etc. I got lost in the main house one time. It took me forever to find my way out! :)

Dare I say it, but have you thought about putting in some furniture? The Google 3D Warehouse has a pretty good selection of furniture objects.

Anyway, great, great job again Pahonu! Believe me, I know how much work this has taken, and it really shows! :)

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#399 Post by KENJI »

Aloha Pahonu and Mahalo!!!

This is incredible work and like James said would've taken forever to put together!

I hope James puts in a special section for this type of effort which would also include the model that James made of the estate.

It could go under Fan Art, but would be better suited under a new heading or sub-section of Robin's Nest.

Any suggestions?

Great work guys and thanks for posting it for us James!

Pahonu

#400 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks for the compliments guys,

The vegitation in the model has a looooong way to go. I just wanted to give an idea of how it will (could/might?) look. Seriously, that estate has sooooo much foliage! Even in modeling the non-overgrown era when Magnum was filmed I think what I have done is less than 1% of what's there. It is a little daunting to be completely honest.

You'll scare me away with all that furniture talk James. :D Actually, I will probably put in the courtyard and balcony furniture and the prints hanging on the walls of the balcony and in the zaguan leading to the arched loggia. By the way, the proper name for that balcony (that acts as a hall) in the Spanish Colonial Revival style is "balcon corrido".

This is what fascinates me most about this structure. It is historically accurate in opening the rooms onto the loggia and balcony and virtually eliminating internal hallways. This was common in Spain's many colonies in the tropics, but is quite unusual in the revival style which began in temperate Southern California. Hawaii has the perfect climate for this!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#401 Post by Sam »

Here's the latest update to Pahonu's Google SketchUp 3D model of the estate:

I can't open it.Windows can't find the file.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#402 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Sam,

You need to download and install Google SketchUp in order to open/view .skp files. It's free.

http://sketchup.google.com/

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#403 Post by Little Garwood »

There are a few outside "establishing" shots of the estate in the Hawaii Five-O season 12 episode "Clash of Shadows." Another house is used as the interior, though. It's one I believe that was used in S8's "Love Thy Neighbor, Take His Wife."
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#404 Post by Pahonu »

Any screen caps?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#405 Post by Sam »

Pahonu,
I just noticed this establishing shot from "Woe to Wo Fat"..the final episode of HFO.

I think you once mentioned a lath house...Is this it???

Quality isn't the greatest.
Last edited by Sam on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.