5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 78

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Deja Vu (2) (6.2)

#61 Post by K Hale »

Well, this is very helpful. http://laura.chinet.com/html/titles05.html

Quote: "The rule is that a woman who marries a peer takes her courtesy title from her husband. Period. However, if a peer's daughter marries anyone who is not a peer, including commoners, knights, baronets, or any sons of a peer (including his heir who bears a courtesy title), then she may, if she chooses, maintain her own rank as long as it outranks her husband's." Which reflects the events of Echoes of the Mind vis a vis the Lady Ashley.

Also useful: a table of precedence showing who outranks who. http://laura.chinet.com/html/titles07.html

This also explains why a duke, as the highest level of the peerage, might hold several titles. Albert Stanley Higgins might be simultaneously Duke of Perth, Earl of Something, Baron of Something Else, etc. http://laura.chinet.com/html/titles05.html#John Hopfner

This is all interesting info but I still haven't found out how titles are distributed among a duke's children.

EDIT: I did find this, though I don't know how accurate it is: "In British peerage, the next lesser title is most commonly a rank below the father's title, so eldest son of a duke is usually a marquis, and for an earl it's usually a viscount, for example." If that's true, then it seems Higgins might have four older brothers (not necessarily all still living) as well as a sister.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#62 Post by ☨magnum.t »

It also makes me wonder how titles could be removed. In this ep Higgins tells Thomas not only his father but his entire family basically disowned him when he was kicked out of Sandhurst and enlisted. I wonder if its a formal registry thing or informal you are dead to me type thing.
That reminds me of the time....

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by K Hale »

Well, since he has seen at least his sister since that time (he hypnotized her to help her remember where she lost a brooch, and mentions also that she was married and had four "monstrous" children), I think it may have been more of a case of him feeling like they all disowned him rather than anything they actually did or any formal steps taken. He also mentions his mother in the present tense in "Did You See the Sunrise," in a way that at least suggests he has spoken with her.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

HTWoodson
Ensign

#64 Post by HTWoodson »

5 Well-known English actor Julian Glover (Duncan Scott) played General Maximilian Veers in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, the Bond villain Aristotle Kristatos in For Your Eyes Only, and Walter Donovan in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
He most recently played Grand Maester Pycelle in HBO's Game of Thrones.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Yes, but most importantly - he was a green, one-eyed alien Jagaroth in "City of Death":

At least he was well dressed.

Blackmamba
Lieutenant

#66 Post by Blackmamba »

I didn’t like this episode when it was first aired, but appreciate it more all these years later. I do think it was rather disjointed and they missed the opportunity to make this an outstanding episode.
I think it was in poor taste to intimate that TM slept with Penelope right after Geoff’s funeral, and tried to make it less unsavory by Penelope’s admission that she was leaving Geoff- and of course he was supposedly having an affair, but that was probably a way to explain the woman in his room. So he wasn’t having an affair?
I think a major departure of character was made when Rick “slipped “ and told Penelope that Geoff terminated key enemy personnel. I do not see this as ever happening, it just is not talked about with outsiders, let alone wives. And TM saying he should have told her doesn’t make sense either. Also, the distinction wasn’t made between Geoff being a sniper in Vietnam, he wasn’t an assassin, even if he went on to become an assassin for private industry later on. Also, I think what Geoff probably sent to TM was the photos taken before his “missions,” and maybe he wanted out! I think there was an opportunity to make this an excellent story on that premise.

Treadwell
Commander

#67 Post by Treadwell »

I liked it well enough, but I have many of the qualms that have already been mentioned.

If Geoffrey didn't want photographic evidence of him being in those countries at those times to exist, then 1) he shouldn't have taken them in the first place, 2) he shouldn't have written the name of the secret organization on one of them, and 3) he should have destroyed the photo instead of hiding it. Why keep it?

Was he really having an affair with that woman in the hotel? Or was she just a fellow conspirator who made up that story when Magnum showed up? He ostensibly was using that room to prepare for the assassination.

No one has mentioned the presence of the great English actor Julian Glover! Like a lot of Americans, I know of him because of The Empire Strikes Back, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and (as different characters) two Doctor Who stories (but never in any of Peter Davison's). He's always a pleasure to watch.

I'm guessing the TC side story existed solely because Roger's schedule would not allow him to go to England.

I watched the two-part version on Amazon. It *does* have the scene where TC meets the lady, but it does NOT have the ghost business with Rick.

The recap at the beginning of Part 2 is extremely long! Which is strange, because with the extra set of opening/closing credits, material has to be cut to make room for them as it is. Strange to make the problem worse with an overlong recap.

What's interesting, in other two-part episodes that were originally one 2-hour one, the "continued" title at the end of the first and the episode title at the beginning of the second are superimposed in the video realm. In this one, it seems they took the step to prepare them on film.